You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crying at a film.

diamondjoe

I cried at the beach landing scene(s) in Saving Private Ryan, because I was with my grand dad, that was part of the D-Day landing. Very sobering experience.

Respect. Big time.

Fucking hero.

Apparently it really touched a lot of veterans of those days in Normandy. It was the lack of incidental music that made it so real for them apparently, and the fact that it was filmed in almost real time. That is THE best opening scenes of any film ever made, ever. No arguments.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respect. Big time.

Fucking hero.

Apparently it really touched a lot of veterans of those days in Normandy. It was the lack of incidental music that made it so real for them apparently, and the fact that it was filmed in almost real time. That is THE best opening scenes of any film ever made, ever. No arguments.

Is right.

One film that always really gets to me is My life without me; an Australian film about a woman who finds out that she had terminal cancer but instead of telling her family she starts to plan for their lives without her. It's beautiful. I can't listen to the Beach Boys' God only knows without thinking of it due to it featuring.

Respect. Big time.

Fucking hero.

It's a very difficult subject for me to talk/write about. My dad was working in the uk until I was 16, and I flew over to watch the footie with him, but my "father figure" was my grand dad. I never saw him flinch, so I moulded myself on him, my wife for instance has never seen me cry etc. The only time I've cried was when my granddad cried for his fellow soldiers.

Its difficult to put down in words, but I cannot stress how much respect I have for WWI and II veterans, especially seeing the amount of crap they have to take sometime.

It's a very difficult subject for me to talk/write about. My dad was working in the uk until I was 16, and I flew over to watch the footie with him, but my "father figure" was my grand dad. I never saw him flinch, so I moulded myself on him, my wife for instance has never seen me cry etc. The only time I've cried was when my granddad cried for his fellow soldiers.

Its difficult to put down in words, but I cannot stress how much respect I have for WWI and II veterans, especially seeing the amount of crap they have to take sometime.

Great post.

In the intros to Band of Brothers you'd see the real soldiers -now in their 70s and 80s - talking quite matter of factly about their missions. Then they'd just fill up when they were talking about one of their mates, it's heartbreaking stuff.

Agree about having respect for these guys, I remember talking to some fella from the Cheshire Burma Star association, they'd all been in Burma under General Slim, and he was talking in really unassuming terms about it, some of them had been there until 1947 fighting bandits after the Japs had left.

He said most of them were like skeletons through dissintary and spent their working days in swamps getting bitten by all sorts of shit, but he said many of them CHOSE to stay to 'finish the job'.

They genuinely don't think they did anything special, and he actually said to me: "Some of our members got captured by the Japanese and worked on the Burma Railway, but they don't really like to talk about it because it wasn't very nice, you know."

Had a heart of granite prior to my 2 boys being born.

Now I seem to constantly get things in my eye...

Field of Dreams When Costners dad emerges from the corn.

The Snowman , Walking in the air always catches me off guard, then the very end when the little boy runs outside and the snowman is gone, it’s the little shrug of the shoulders as he cries whilst holding the scarf that gets me.

Silent running, casting off the gardens at the end, then Joan Baez starts singing.

The Elephant Man, The very end when John Merrick decides to lie on his back, knowing it will kill him.

Thinking about the above now just gives me a lump in my throat...

Just give us a minute.

costner, what a gimp.

Great post.

In the intros to Band of Brothers you'd see the real soldiers -now in their 70s and 80s - talking quite matter of factly about their missions. Then they'd just fill up when they were talking about one of their mates, it's heartbreaking stuff.

Agree about having respect for these guys, I remember talking to some fella from the Cheshire Burma Star association, they'd all been in Burma under General Slim, and he was talking in really unassuming terms about it, some of them had been there until 1947 fighting bandits after the Japs had left.

He said most of them were like skeletons through dissintary and spent their working days in swamps getting bitten by all sorts of shit, but he said many of them CHOSE to stay to 'finish the job'.

They genuinely don't think they did anything special, and he actually said to me: "Some of our members got captured by the Japanese and worked on the Burma Railway, but they don't really like to talk about it because it wasn't very nice, you know."

Have you read Eric Lomax's Railway Man? That makes me choke back a few tears when reading about the sorts of things those lads went through building that railway line.

Have you read Eric Lomax's Railway Man? That makes me choke back a few tears when reading about the sorts of things those lads went through building that railway line.

No mate but I've read other stuff on it and my great uncle got captured by the japs, he used to wake up screaming from nightmares even when he was in his 70s, me ma reckons he saw one of his mates getting sawn in half while he was still alive. It's just something I can't even comprehend at times to be honest.

Had a heart of granite prior to my 2 boys being born.

Now I seem to constantly get things in my eye...

Field of Dreams When Costners dad emerges from the corn.

The Snowman , Walking in the air always catches me off guard, then the very end when the little boy runs outside and the snowman is gone, it’s the little shrug of the shoulders as he cries whilst holding the scarf that gets me.

Silent running, casting off the gardens at the end, then Joan Baez starts singing.

The Elephant Man, The very end when John Merrick decides to lie on his back, knowing it will kill him.

Thinking about the above now just gives me a lump in my throat...

Just give us a minute.

That's the one. Gave me a lump in my throat the size of a Rugby Ball that did.