You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Young Manager

Thants

And now we're reaping the rewards of all that building with a set of players so fucking bad it beggars belief.

EDIT: Signing and selling about 5 or six players every close season isn't building. I don't even know what the word is for it. Decimating?

The players are not shite but the tactics are.

As regards signing/selling players isn't that what you do when you build a team or do you just keep signing players and have twelvty million players on your books.

The players are not shite but the tactics are.

As regards signing/selling players isn't that what you do when you build a team or do you just keep signing players and have twelvty million players on your books.

We had a better squad in 05/06 than we do now.

That's not building, is it?

We had a better squad in 05/06 than we do now.

That's not building, is it?

Can't remember having one of the best keeper, defensive midfielder, central/attacking midfielder and striker in Europe in the team in 05/06.

Silly me must have been mistaken.

Can't remember having one of the best keeper, defensive midfielder, central/attacking midfielder and striker in Europe in the team in 05/06.

Silly me must have been mistaken.

Er, really?

Reina, Sissoko and Gerrard were all integral parts of that team.

You can have the striker, though. Despite the fact Crouch and Cisse are better than all bar Torres.

Guest TK-421
Er, no.

Damn shame that is.

Here's a list of the top performing managers according to the League Managers Association (LMA). It's very up to date. It's nice to see Chris Hughton doing well. I think Newcastle should have stuck with him instead of asking Shearer to relegate them, he should bring them straight back up which I doubt would have happened under Shearer (but I digress).

Link is here, friends:

League Managers Association

The LMA Managers' Performance table was devised to allow managers from every level of League football to test themselves against one another.

Every competitive game counts towards a manager's individual score in the League. Points are awarded for victories and draws, with results away from home scoring higher.

Points for clean sheets and goals-scored accumulate throughout the season, whilst a team's winning margin also counts towards the total.

This table is for the 3rd Quarter in season 2009 - 2010 up to 05/03/2010.

Pos Div Manager Club P W D GS CS WM KOM PTS TT

scores

1 C Brian McDermott Reading 6 44 0 12 1 9 17 83 138

2 P Carlo Ancelotti Chelsea 9 42 0 17 3 12 39 113 126

3 1 Paul Lambert Norwich City 10 90 0 18 4 13 0 125 125

4 2 Keith Hill Rochdale 8 54 11 16 4 12 0 97 121

5 2 Ian Sampson Northampton Town 10 80 5 17 6 13 0 121 121

6 P Sir Alex Ferguson CBE Manchester United 10 40 12 18 4 15 28 117 117

7 1 Danny Wilson Swindon Town 10 62 17 20 4 13 0 116 116

8 C Chris Hughton Newcastle United 10 52 11 19 2 13 16 113 113

9 2 Paul Simpson Shrewsbury Town 9 64 12 12 4 8 0 100 111

10 1 Alan Pardew Southampton 11 32 24 15 3 11 37 122 111

11 P Arsene Wenger OBE Arsenal 10 54 11 14 4 9 15 107 107

12 1 Kenny Jackett Millwall 9 64 5 11 4 8 2 94 104

13 2 Alan Knill Bury 10 64 17 10 5 6 0 102 102

14 P Tony Pulis Stoke City 10 32 16 12 1 5 32 98 98

15 C Paulo Sousa Swansea City 10 54 22 9 6 6 1 98 98

16 P Harry Redknapp Tottenham Hotspur 9 32 10 7 4 6 28 87 97

17 P Martin O'Neill Aston Villa 10 10 21 6 3 3 53 96 96

18 C Kevin Blackwell Sheffield United 9 40 5 12 3 7 16 83 92

19 C Roberto Di Matteo West Brom 11 32 18 12 2 5 31 100 91

20 C Nigel Pearson Leicester City 11 44 17 13 3 9 14 100 91

Er, really?

Reina, Sissoko and Gerrard were all integral parts of that team.

You can have the striker, though. Despite the fact Crouch and Cisse are better than all bar Torres.

Two of those 3 players you mention were signed by Rafa.

Reina there is no need to improve on as he is one of the best and as regards Sissoko we improved that area by signing Mascherano so im not quite sure on your point there.

Crouch and Cisse are better then Kuyt and N'Gog but thats hardly going to be difficult is it.

The point im trying to make is people say they want the manager to have a proven record in the Champions Leauge and having experience of winning a league etc.

That is exactly what Rafa has done so maybe we should be looking at giving a different kind of manager a chance.

Personally i just want a manager that is prepared to attack the opposition.

I could even accept the defeats as at least we would have tried to win the game.

Two of those 3 players you mention were signed by Rafa.

Reina there is no need to improve on as he is one of the best and as regards Sissoko we improved that area by signing Mascherano so im not quite sure on your point there.

Crouch and Cisse are better then Kuyt and N'Gog but thats hardly going to be difficult is it.

The point im trying to make is people say they want the manager to have a proven record in the Champions Leauge and having experience of winning a league etc.

That is exactly what Rafa has done so maybe we should be looking at giving a different kind of manager a chance.

Personally i just want a manager that is prepared to attack the opposition.

I could even accept the defeats as at least we would have tried to win the game.

Not sure on my point Re: Sissoko? You said about one of the best DM's in Europe and Sissoko was just that for a season and a half. He was almost single handedly destroying teams at times.

In fact, even when he was supposed to be hideously out of form (he was, like) at the back end of 06/07; he still totally dismantled Barcelona at the Nou Camp.

I think the comparisons between himself and Mascherano aren't as cut and dried as some make out.

Added to the fact that Hamann was still in the squad and still producing consitently excellent performances, I'd say our DM options were far better then thean they are now. And we had Xabi. Bonus.

Reina, obviously you're right there.

Tlaking about the best AM in Europe: Gerrard scored 20 odd goals predominently from RM and won the PFA player of the year. He was outstanding all season.

I'd go for Rijkaard, his teams play great football and regardless of the fact that things went tits up in the end he did a fantastic job at Barca and really turned them around. I'd be tempted to go for Magath but I think his styand offish approach is too similar to Rafa's and a fresh start is needed.

How about Emery and Grayson together, for the full-on authentic 1970s Saturday evening BBC light entertainment experience?

"Shut that door..."

"Oooh you are awful....but I like you"

Forsyth as GK coach, Corbett & Barker as physios.

The list as of now:

Laurent Blanc

Might be young, but he'll have the pick of jobs in Europe this summer, so don't see why he'd come to this shitheap.

Owen Coyle

In a few years maybe, but could he attract decent players from abroad?

Michael Laudrup

Combustible.

Slavan Bilic

Smokes. I have a lot of time for that. Big risk, though. No club experience.

Marco Van Basten

Hadn't considered him. Very unproven, though.

Roberto Martinez

See Coyle

Roberto Di Matteo

See Coyle, ex Chelsea and never even managed in the PL.

Unai Emery

Hard to argue with. We may not be the same club we were in 2004, but he's not got the CV Benitez did. Valencia wouldn't be impressed, though.

Simon Grayson

Don't be fooled by one win at Old Trafford. Long, long way to go before he's good enough for the top flight, let alone Liverpool.

Rijkaard's not the worst shout in the world - at least he'd play good football - and, though he's not young, the Benfica manager Jorge Jesus would too. LFCfanbymistake, I take your point about young managers, but just as likely is someone not necessarily under 40, but not that well known.

Paul Lambert would be a big risk but deserves to be mentioned if Grayson is, and I'd love Luis Enrique. None of them are as good a shout as Hodgson, though.

Not seen much of either QPR or Swansea but one name I`d like to put forward is P.Sousa if we are talking about young managers.

He has done it all as a player and his game was build on game game intelligence much like with Guardiola, this is the exact type of players that most likely will succeed as managers.

Another one with the same background from CM as a player who has won everything and even has done pretty good in the few jobs he has had as a manager is Didier Deschamps.

From our own club I`d think it would be interesting to see how Jamie Redknapp would do it.

But thinking a little bit outside the box apart from the obvious names among those over the age of 45 I`d like to put forward Genoa coach Gian Piero Gasperini, brought through in the Juve system both as a player and a coach and have been successful whereever he has been doing it playing great football, he is 52 years old though.

• Upvote 1

Code - Jamie Redknapp?

I knew you were on smack but no i'm really really worried.

I'd give it to O'Neill.

I've been thinking a lot about it over the past few days and I think he's the best option.

I like Laudrup and Bilic but we need someone with Prem experience.