You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Young Manager

Thants

I don't have any names, but above all I want a manager who will be able to stop beachballs deflecting shots into our net or stop Torres missing 4 sitters against Wigan.

Because as we know, those things are all the fault of the manager!

HAHA, can't believe we have fans who still blame the beachball incident for our current situation. Something that happened FIVE months ago!

Get a grip.

no mate - his persistence with Kuyt for the 2007 CL final was when i realised that Rafa was not the manager i thought he was going to be

22nd October 2006, 02:32 PM

Baz1969

Forumite

vCash: 500

RAFA OUT - PLS SUPPORT CAMPAIGN.

Minimum acceptable standard is to finish second - that will not happen now. Have played garbage all season and it will not get much better. Real danger now that we wont qualify for CL next season. Rot must be stopped immediatly. If we lose to gunners and villa we're prob in relegation zone. If we dont win next four league games Rafa must go. Results and performances simply not good enough for Liverpool FC - the best football club in the world.

Amazing.

That doesn't really impress me, their team would've been the best in Serie B by miles.

If he'd won the top flight with Juve, he should be a candidate, but he didn't.

He was only with Juve for 1 season, its not possible to win something you dont participate in.

3rd, they had a bloke before, cant remember his name, he managed to win La Liga twice, beating both Madrid and barca in the process. Good up and coming manager, cant remember what happened to him though.

Probably did really well then got booted out by an overzealous lot of pitchfork wielding fans, at the first sign of a step backward.

He did this with a team who had been in two CL finals in 3 seasons before he took charge and he did this while both Barca and Real had big problems, the points Valencia got in those two winning seasons would not get them anywhere close to winning it in the current climate.

Getting Juve,1 of the 3 biggest sides in Italy up from Serie B is now apparently more of an achievement than getting Tenerife out of the Spanish 2nd division which had just had AM,Sevilla & Betis, the 3rd 6th &7th biggest sides in Spain & who have all been in the CL since,drop down into it.

Obviously i must have missed Tenerife in the European Cup Final whilst being bankrolled by all the cars made on the island.

He did this with a team who had been in two CL finals in 3 seasons before he took charge and he did this while both Barca and Real had big problems, the points Valencia got in those two winning seasons would not get them anywhere close to winning it in the current climate.

Only trophies matter, not the circumstances in which you win them or not. Apparently.

And it wasn't exactly the same team as you know. Some good players left and he still won the league.

Mendieta for example was brilliant for them but Rafa didn't get to manager him. Kily Gonzalez and Claudio Lopez left too at some stage.

What do you think about Laudrup? He played in the best Danish team ever, learned about management from Cruyff, and will have any team playing attractive football. And he could keep the Spanish contingent happy.

To me a perfect choice, someone, if he has motivation and hunger, who could build on Rafa's work well.

I`m not sold on Laudrup to be honest, mostly because of what I think was his failure at Brøndby where he started his career taking over the current Champions and what was the best club in the country, but while he was there FC Copenhagen etsablished themselves as the superior team in Denmark.

Then he took over for Schuster at Getafe and continued the good work Schuster had done with getafe for one season before he quit.

After that, he has done fuck all really.

He was a very good player, but I have a feeling his ability as a coach is a bit restricted to be honest, I think he lacks a few things when it comes to the defensive part of the game and to win the PL your defensive game needs to be the foundation where you start.

It's all fine and well criticising Rafa and his percieved failings at the club and what he hasn't achieved, I agree with most of these points in fact. But theres no real need to take away from what he has achieved and the success he's had. It's a fact that he has won 2 spanish leagues and there's no reason to belittle that. There are obviously factors that may have made it favourable for him to do so, but when has a team won anything without factors being favourable to them in one way or another.

I don't have any names, but above all I want a manager who will be able to stop beachballs deflecting shots into our net or stop Torres missing 4 sitters against Wigan.

Because as we know, those things are all the fault of the manager!

Haha are there actually people who think our on pitch problems surround the beach ball incident? Ignoring all the other shite performances, did you see the rest of that game?

And 4 sitters? You do realise we were the ones in red, dont you?

I`m not sold on Laudrup to be honest, mostly because of what I think was his failure at Brøndby where he started his career taking over the current Champions and what was the best club in the country, but while he was there FC Copenhagen etsablished themselves as the superior team in Denmark.

Then he took over for Schuster at Getafe and continued the good work Schuster had done with getafe for one season before he quit.

After that, he has done fuck all really.

He was a very good player, but I have a feeling his ability as a coach is a bit restricted to be honest, I think he lacks a few things when it comes to the defensive part of the game and to win the PL your defensive game needs to be the foundation where you start.

I agree with your conclusion, but I don't think you can class his time at Brøndby as a failure. He was their last succesful manager. FC Copenhagen got their act together at the same time as well and started to fulfill their potential.

Oh well, as I said. I can't disagree too much with your conclusion. I have doubts over his tactical wisdom defensively as well. It would just be a nice change to have a manager whose focus is on the attacking side of the game.

It's all fine and well criticising Rafa and his percieved failings at the club and what he hasn't achieved, I agree with most of these points in fact. But theres no real need to take away from what he has achieved and the success he's had. It's a fact that he has won 2 spanish leagues and there's no reason to belittle that. There are obviously factors that may have made it favourable for him to do so, but when has a team won anything without factors being favourable to them in one way or another.

Agree with this.

I agree with your conclusion, but I don't think you can class his time at Brøndby as a failure. He was their last succesful manager. FC Copenhagen got their act together at the same time as well and started to fulfill their potential.

Oh well, as I said. I can't disagree too much with your conclusion. I have doubts over his tactical wisdom defensively as well. It would just be a nice change to have a manager whose focus is on the attacking side of the game.

Not if it means our defence is shit.

Getting Juve,1 of the 3 biggest sides in Italy up from Serie B is now apparently more of an achievement than getting Tenerife out of the Spanish 2nd division which had just had AM,Sevilla & Betis, the 3rd 6th &7th biggest sides in Spain & who have all been in the CL since,drop down into it.

Obviously i must have missed Tenerife in the European Cup Final whilst being bankrolled by all the cars made on the island.

They won Serie B 6 points ahead of Napoli and 7 points ahead of Genoa starting with a 9 points deduction, not exactly minnows in Italian football.

They did this even if they lost most of their best players, they were the team everyone wanted to beat and they did not exactly had the refs on their side either.

To win Serie B like Deschamps did with Juve that season was some achievment considering the circumstances.

He became coach at Monaco in 01/02 at the time they where a mid table club, in 02/03 he finished 2nd only 1 point behind the then superior Lyon and won also the French Cup.

In the 03/04 season he finished 3rd this time 4 points behind Lyon and also PSG, but as we might know they had bigger fish to fry that season as they had a great run in the CL and he got them all the way to the final where they lost to Mourinho`s Porto, the next season he finished 3rd again in the league again begind the superior Lyon and Lille who finished second.

He resigned at the start of the next season and Monaco have later finished 10th, 9th, 12th, 11th in the league.