You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Young Manager

Thants

1 season in 6 we have challengened for the title.

Yes because he was supposed to make an immediate challenge with Houllier's leftovers.

It's a pity in his first two seasons he didn't win the European Cup or finish with a higher points total than the previous incumbent ever achieved and manage to throw the FA Cup in along the way.

No those first two seasons were fucking wretched weren't they?

I hope the next manager wins the league in his first season, if not sack the useless cunt.

Laurent Blanc.

Slaven Bilic.

Owen Coyle.

Michael Laudrup as the outside bet of this quartet.

If we want 'home grown' (I know he's Scottish!) then Owen Coyle could have a great opportunity to really make a name for himself. He seems as though he tries to get his teams playing football, and given the paucity of our play, this would be a welcome relief.

The main downside is whether some of our thoroughbreds would stick around for such an unknown quantity.

I'd hate to see us take such a big risk on someone who's never won trophies.

It worked at Barcelona but it'd be hard to not get their squad playing brilliantly.

The thing with Barca as well is that the club appears to be well run with a system from the top to the bottom, including the youth teams through to the Chairman or Managing Director or whatever he is.

You've got a team with some great players, a way of playing, and some promising youngsters coming through, there's less to go wrong when appointing someone with little experience.

I'd hate to see us take such a big risk on someone who's never won trophies.

Agreed. But withing the constraints of the thread, under 45 and likely to be low cost etc. the chances of them having a trophy winning record of any great substance is slim.

We're talking about a real gamble on an up and coming manager who may, and only may, prove to be a real gem.

Here's teh odds from Sky Bet btw, can't say i fancy much of them

SKY BET odds for next Liverpool manager

Kenny Dalglish - 11/4

Jose Mourinho – 7/2

Jurgen Klinsmann – 6/1

Laurent Blanc – 8/1

Martin O’Neill – 10/1

Bert Van Marwikk – 10/1

Gerard Houllier – 10/1

Alex Mcleish – 10/1

Mark Hughes – 10/1

Guus Hiddink – 12/1

Oswaldo de Oliviera – 12/1

Roy Hodgson – 16/1

I can't believe people are talking about Puyot, the manager of fucking Brighton?!

One guy I like is Joaquin Capparos, manager of Athletico Bilbao, who are having an excellent season on a budget of fuck all. He's also very experienced manager and been around a while. Apart from him, no one takes my fancy

Frank Rijkaard is 47. So only 2 years over 45...

I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Definitely get us playing some decent football and we definitely wouldn't have to worry about any of the players not respecting his previous achievements as a player or manager.

John Aldridge.

Done great things at Tranny, knows the club inside out, wouldn't cost a penny, is schooled in 'The Liverpool way' of pass & move free flowing football, would work well with Kenny giving him guidance and the benefit of his years of experience.

Laurent Blanc.

Slaven Bilic.

Owen Coyle.

Michael Laudrup as the outside bet of this quartet.

If we want 'home grown' (I know he's Scottish!) then Owen Coyle could have a great opportunity to really make a name for himself. He seems as though he tries to get his teams playing football, and given the paucity of our play, this would be a welcome relief.

The main downside is whether some of our thoroughbreds would stick around for such an unknown quantity.

Can you fill me in a bit on Owen Coyle?

Yes because he was supposed to make an immediate challenge with Houllier's leftovers.

It's a pity in his first two seasons he didn't win the European Cup or finish with a higher points total than the previous incumbent ever achieved and manage to throw the FA Cup in along the way.

No those first two seasons were fucking wretched weren't they?

I hope the next manager wins the league in his first season, if not sack the useless cunt.

first 2 seasons were good cos we won trophies

made a final in the 3rd season - great chance for no.6 however his tactics cost us the chance to win that game

4th season Torres came in and he had found the perfect striker for his counter-attacking football - whole club lifted by Torres arrival

5th season Alonso/Barry saga - at least he tried to address the issue of having a decent back up/strike partner for Torres (in the end - though how much of it was his decision is open for debate) - started shit (though admittedly we were getting results - lucky imo), injuries to key players, only really went for it once title chance gone

6th season rubbish close season - lose arguably our most influential player and Rafa's new recruits fail to address this problem, shit form & injuries to key players very early doors, Rafa goes ultra defensive to 'steady the ship'

his record is a mixed bag by anyone's standards

if he had won 2 CL's in 3 years then he would be due some unconditional support - as it stands he has made mistakes and should be held accountable for them

Agreed. But withing the constraints of the thread, under 45 and likely to be low cost etc. the chances of them having a trophy winning record of any great substance is slim.

We're talking about a real gamble on an up and coming manager who may, and only may, prove to be a real gem.

Exactly! Thankyou Rev.

I can't believe people are talking about Puyot, the manager of fucking Brighton?!

One guy I like is Joaquin Capparos, manager of Athletico Bilbao, who are having an excellent season on a budget of fuck all. He's also very experienced manager and been around a while. Apart from him, no one takes my fancy

who's 54 .....

Poyet is a mad one.

I can't believe people are suggesting him. How often do they watch Brighton to know enough about them too?

A couple of times. And he fits the thread criteria.

How are some people finding this such a hard concept?

Poyet would be hounded out within 6 months. Any manager coming here is going to have to have some kind of track record if they are going to be given any time at all. Alec McLeish is a good manager and has proved it at several clubs (particularly Hibs where he cut his teeth) and with Scotland, but I doubt even he would be given the crowds backing for long if we had a season like this, even if he had to sell to buy and we didn't strengthen.

first 2 seasons were good cos we won trophies

made a final in the 3rd season - great chance for no.6 however his tactics cost us the chance to win that game

if he had won 2 CL's in 3 years then he would be due some unconditional support - as it stands he has made mistakes and should be held accountable for them

Not by fucking you, as you started your Rafa out campaign in October 2006.

Laurent Blanc has done a remarkable job at Bordeaux turning an average club into the strongest club and starting to make their mark in Europe too as it could be argued that Ligue 1 is not the strongest league. However, he has Manc connections on the downside.

If we are looking for a manager, he'd definitely be one I'd have on my very shortlist alongside more established managers

Unless i'm mistaken, Deschamps hasn't won league titles.

He promoted Juve from Serie B in style starting with a 9 point deduction.

Anyway I think most people will agree it would be some achievment to win the French league when he was coach at Monaco compared to winning it now as Blanc has done for Bordeaux.

Another name under 45 to put forward could be N.Clough.

Anyway I think most people will agree it would be some achievment to win the French league when he was coach at Monaco compared to winning it now as Blanc has done for Bordeaux.

What do you think about Laudrup? He played in the best Danish team ever, learned about management from Cruyff, and will have any team playing attractive football. And he could keep the Spanish contingent happy.

To me a perfect choice, someone, if he has motivation and hunger, who could build on Rafa's work well.

That doesn't really impress me, their team would've been the best in Serie B by miles.

If he'd won the top flight with Juve, he should be a candidate, but he didn't.

Cost them what?

They're third. Behind the two best clubs sides in the world.

Barcelona are probably the only side in the world, maybe Arsenal as well, that play better football than them.

He's doing a great job, in a similarly appalling financial situation to us.

Can't see him wanting to join us though.

3rd, they had a bloke before, cant remember his name, he managed to win La Liga twice, beating both Madrid and barca in the process. Good up and coming manager, cant remember what happened to him though.

Probably did really well then got booted out by an overzealous lot of pitchfork wielding fans, at the first sign of a step backward.

3rd, they had a bloke before, cant remember his name, he managed to win La Liga twice, beating both Madrid and barca in the process. Good up and coming manager, cant remember what happened to him though.

Probably did really well then got booted out by an overzealous lot of pitchfork wielding fans, at the first sign of a step backward.

KLANG!