You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

The more I read of all this the more I'm convinced FSG are now the problem, Rodgers is just a symptom of their fuckwitery. If he stays it's because he's willing to eat some kind of shit from them, the fact remains though that they seem to be the ones doleing out the shit. They're just turning the club into a money spinner, it's like a Mafia bust out, use the store credit to order lots of picnic boxes and sell them on the street, then when it's been juiced burn it down or sell it on.

They are the problem. However I think that they do want to win, but they want to win on the cheap.

You can win on the cheap but you really have to know what you are doing. That's where the issue is for me. We are throwing shit all around hoping some will stick. We appear to have no plan and the manager has lost all credability after a disaster of a season. One bad result early on and the whole thing will come crashing down.

The right thing to do is to get rid and bring a better man in. Problem is that a better man will tell them where they are going wrong and they may not like that.

THE ANFIELD WRAP ‏@TheAnfieldWrap

So, we don't do #ITK, as it's not our style unless we know 100% and can stand it up, but what we know is this....

The 'Season Review' meeting takes place TOMORROW in Liverpool and will involve Brendan Rodgers, Tom Werner and Michael Gordon.

If, as expected, it goes to plan expect a statement from the club backing Brendan Rodgers within 48 hours.

Danny Ings has signed for Liverpool, and barring losing his hands in an industrial accident, so will James Milner.

Fucking joke of a club. Keep an inept manager then sign shite.

Was speaking to a lifelong Burnley fan the other day and asked him which striker was best out of Rodriguez, Austin and Ings.

He said Austin.

Just saying.

Danny Ings has signed for Liverpool, and barring losing his hands in an industrial accident, so will James Milner.

Now...where did I put that faulty dangerous industrial heavy plant machinery? 

God its depressing.

Our last two games with one of our best ever players as a member of the team read,Played 2 Won 0 Drawn 0 Goals For 2 Goals Against 9.

We now look to counter this by giving the manager another season and buying Ings,Milner and possibly Benteke.

Look out Chelski,City,The Arse and The Mancs,you will have a multitude of blooper reels to watch in the coming months.

You know that saying about Liverpool being full of comedians? Well this is especially true at the City's primary club.

I reckon and maybe I'm just hoping here!

Klopp has said numerous times he wants a break, whether that's 3/4/5/6 months is anyone's guess but I think he's given the owners the reassurances that by Christmas he will be ready to return to football and take over us. The only issue is that if by some sort of miracle Rodgers turns it around and we are on fire at the start of the season then it will be very hard to sack him.

I think people need to reign this negativity in, it's totally over the top.

We were shit last season, with a goal difference of +4. But we finished up only 8 points behind United, who spent a huge amount of money, and nobody seems to have a problem in thinking Van Gaal is a very good manager.

These are the margins, 8 points, between hysterically calling for a manager to be sacked, and thinking he's done a good job.

8 points, contextualised by the sale of one of the best players on the planet, and his strike partner only getting on the field 12 times in the league (7 starts), and even then was only capable of 4 goals.

High profile signings not delivering. You can say what you want about Rodgers' managerial style/ability, but individual players MUST HAVE personal pride/standards, and Balotelli and Lovren let the club down.

Injuries also robbed us of Lallana for large chunks of the season, and then Markovic, Moreno and Can had mixed seasons, understandably, as new players to the league.

I think it's understandable to pick through that information and see why we were 8 points off the pace.

Injuries were fiddly, there was no continuity for a lot of the season in many positions, the following is a list of players who never got to 25 starts:

Enrique 2

Borini 3

Toure 6

Lambert 7

Sturridge 7

Ibe 7

Manquillo 10

Balotelli 10

Markovic 11

Sakho 14

Johnson 15

Lucas 15

Allen 16

Lovren 22

Lallana 22

Can 22

If you look at Chelsea's best players and the games they started...

Terry 36

Cahill 31

Matic 33

Ivanovic 36

Fabregas 32

Hazard 36

Costa 23

Boom, that's how you win the title. Your best players on the pitch in over 90% of your league games.

Compare to ours in similar positions:

Skrtel 33

Sakho 14

Can 22

Lucas 15

Sterling 33

Coutinho 31

Sturridge 7

Of course, we haven't got a player as good as Hazard, or Matic, but Chelsea's season would have been a lot more interesting if Costa only made 7 starts, and Cahill and Matic were missing for over half the season.

I get the frustration, I understand. I get that the players he bought for the team ended up being shit, I get that. But the margins for error this season were totally unforgiving for Rodgers. Chelsea spunked £25m on Cuadrado, United spunked £70m on Shaw, Rojo and Herrera. Yes Rodgers spunked £36m on Lovren and Balotelli, but the extent to which they let the club down is 99% on their own shoulders and not on Rodgers. They fell to pieces mentally, and all this was caveated with Gerrard's wheels falling off, and trying to bed in 4 new players who were expected to go into the first team and make it work better. The whole thing was a fucking mess, exacerbated by Sturridge's injury-hit season.

8 points short, with all this tied to our back was it any surprise?

Give Rodgers a new season, under the firm instruction that CL qualification next year is an utter minimum requirement.

Get Pascoe and Marsh out and replace them with seasoned top level backroom staff.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

Give Rodgers a new season, under the firm instruction that CL qualification next year is an utter minimum requirement.

So we can throw the difficult games, why would he want those distractions?

Seriously though, I have zero confidence of Rodgers ability to progress us in the Champions League. So even if we somehow managed to dislodge one of the top four usuals and beat off an also ran that's having a good season, what's the point?

Forget it, we aren't ever getting CL with the current set up here now.

Last season a lot of people changed their views on Rodgers second season saying it wasn't an achievement or success, with all the talk Im seeing about relegation and mid table I'm guessing it's fair to assume top 4 next season would be deemed a successful season.

Another thing continuing is the dislike of squad players, I assumed last season it was due to big fees but some are getting their knickers in a twist about cheap players in positions we are short in like with Ings.

Even if we get those linked including Benteke who I don't want there will still be money left over for other players.

If you look at Chelsea's best players and the games they started...

Terry 36  34 - 78

Cahill 31 29 - 34

Matic 33 26 - 19

Ivanovic 36 31 - 77

Fabregas 32 28 - 94

Hazard 36 24 - 56

Costa 23 26 - 9

Boom, that's how you win the title. Your best players on the pitch in over 90% of your league games.

Compare to ours in similar positions:

Skrtel 33 30 - 72

Sakho 14 25 -25

Can 22 21 - 0

Lucas 15 28 -24

Sterling 33 20 - 14

Coutinho 31 22 - 6

Sturridge 7 25 - 16

I added age plus international caps to those players you were comparing.

They are the problem. However I think that they do want to win, but they want to win on the cheap.

You can win on the cheap but you really have to know what you are doing. That's where the issue is for me. We are throwing shit all around hoping some will stick. We appear to have no plan and the manager has lost all credability after a disaster of a season. One bad result early on and the whole thing will come crashing down.

The right thing to do is to get rid and bring a better man in. Problem is that a better man will tell them where they are going wrong and they may not like that.

Spot on mate,you've hit the nail on the head

I do question Rodgers pedigree for CL competition, but that's why he needs some backroom staff to help guide him.

He's a young manager, and they make mistakes.

Should he fail to bring in CL football next season then I'd have no problems in looking to another young manager. I think FSG have the right idea about how this all should work, and for the most part it's a democratic system of running a club.

Guest davelfc

I do question Rodgers pedigree for CL competition, but that's why he needs some backroom staff to help guide him.

He's a young manager, and they make mistakes.

Should he fail to bring in CL football next season then I'd have no problems in looking to another young manager. I think FSG have the right idea about how this all should work, and for the most part it's a democratic system of running a club.

He's been involved in management for some time now and the young manager making mistakes line is getting a little thin. You either accept that we should have an inexperienced manager that continues to make mistakes or you do not. It all looks a little like a great excuse to me, FSG knew what they were doing and if he stays then so does everyone else. 

Oh and rather than get someone in to help him, why not just get an experienced manager that knows what he's doing, you know like teams that have ambition do.

He's been involved in management for some time now and the young manager making mistakes line is getting a little thin. You either accept that we should have an inexperienced manager that continues to make mistakes or you do not. It all looks a little like a great excuse to me, FSG knew what they were doing and if he stays then so does everyone else.

Oh and rather than get someone in to help him, why not just get an experienced manager that knows what he's doing, you know like teams that have ambition do.

Your right BRs showing in Europe shows he's not up to it, Rafas obviously lost it aswell as he didn't get through the group stages and went out to Dnipro.

As for us leaking goals that's another thing BR can't sort, Rafa unfortunately has lost it aswell with his team conceding more than any other team in the top half of serie a.

• Upvote 2

Your right BRs showing in Europe shows he's not up to it, Rafas obviously lost it aswell as he didn't get through the group stages and went out to Dnipro.

As for us leaking goals that's another thing BR can't sort, Rafa unfortunately has lost it aswell with his team conceding more than any other team in the top half of serie a.

Fair point.

The most depressing issue with Rodgers and the CL wasn't his lack of experience or that we lost, it's that he didn't seem to care. 

We put out a weakened side against Madrid and took a 0-1 defeat as though it was a good result because we didn't get mullered. He even claimed being in the CL was some kind of burden because it was getting in the way of his training  time with players. 

We went out with the hugely naive attitude of just 'playing football' and trying to overwhelm sides like we did in the PL last season, and when it didn't work - because most European coaches have an understanding of tactics which goes beyond 'big lad up top' - we got at best stopped in our tracks, and at worst, comprehensively dismantled. 

After that, we then seemed to give off the attitude that we weren't arsed anyway, and we were perhaps even a little grateful it was over. 

There were also other stories doing the rounds that we hadn't bothered to train on the opposition pictch in one case, and that Marca had predicted our starting XI against Madrid just by watching a team training session. 

It's men against boys all the time,  but the boy thinks he's god. 

• Upvote 6

Guest davelfc

When RB was about Rodgers age that young manager was picking up European trophies. Not shitting out of games.

Our current manager is Rodgers by the way, RB left years ago.

Nice post FUN3E5 but you're assuming the teams above us are going to stand still. The Mancs have already signed Depay and are chasing Schneiderlin. Arsenal are being linked with Higuain.

We're being linked with squad players and Christian fucking Benteke while Sterling is preparing to leave. This is as bad as the Hodgson era for lack of hope.

• Upvote 4

Nice post FUN3E5 but you're assuming the teams above us are going to stand still. The Mancs have already signed Depay and are chasing Schneiderlin. Arsenal are being linked with Higuain. We're being linked with squad players and Christian fucking Benteke while Sterling is preparing to leave. This is as bad as the Hodgson era for lack of hope.

We are putting icing on a cake made of shit.

• Upvote 1

Nice post FUN3E5 but you're assuming the teams above us are going to stand still. The Mancs have already signed Depay and are chasing Schneiderlin. Arsenal are being linked with Higuain.

We're being linked with squad players and Christian fucking Benteke while Sterling is preparing to leave. This is as bad as the Hodgson era for lack of hope.

Worse than Hodgeson, because you felt that sooner or later someone could come to their senses, the fact FSG countenenace this horseshit means we're on a full blown downward spiral. 

• Upvote 2

8 points short, with all this tied to our back was it any surprise?

Get Pascoe and Marsh out and replace them with seasoned top level backroom staff.

We will have to make up more than 8 pts though. 

Pascoe and Marsh are Rodgers guys for a reason. FSG aren't qualified to "impose" a backroom staff on Rodgers and that's always a recipe for disaster anyhow. 

I think getting 5th will take some doing, top 4 would take us showing a massive improvement as the Manc's will be stronger next year. 

At this point I'd predict another 7th place finish with the bitters finishing above us. 

We will have to make up more than 8 pts though. 

Pascoe and Marsh are Rodgers guys for a reason. FSG aren't qualified to "impose" a backroom staff on Rodgers and that's always a recipe for disaster anyhow. 

I think getting 5th will take some doing, top 4 would take us showing a massive improvement as the Manc's will be stronger next year. 

At this point I'd predict another 7th place finish with the bitters finishing above us. 

Bottom half.

The most depressing issue with Rodgers and the CL wasn't his lack of experience or that we lost, it's that he didn't seem to care. 

To me not so much that he didn't care but more a case of he wanted the distraction over ASAP because he believes he needs max time between games to prepare. He doesn't have any self confidence he can compete in multiple competitions.