You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

Maybe if the team as a whole hadn’t allowed Luton to score, Diaz would have still come on and then won us the game. It isn’t about one man, it is a team game. Nunez has a good scoring record and I’ll bet it becomes better the longer he is with us. 

3 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’m fed up of hearing “strikers miss chances” line. Yes, of course they do. But they can’t miss fucking chances like yesterday. It’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a Liverpool player, you cannot defend that miss. It needs to be addressed and improved upon.

I’m pissed he missed, but when Nunez misses a chance the ‘publicity’ it gets is off the scale, other strikers can miss but they don’t get anywhere near the same treatment. That’s what my ‘strikers miss chances’ comment alluded to. There’s Strikers missing chances & then there’s Nunez’ missing chances. He’s not treated in the same way

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

He has. Was was shite in the Derby, v Forest & yesterday. A pen & a couple of tap ins, courtesy of the Forest Keeper & Darwin doesn’t change the fact that, by his standards, he’s been shite. Maybe if Mo was his usual self, Nunez would bury the next chance & he wouldn’t be getting the criticism he has. Strikers miss chances. But Nunez seems to be judged more harshly than other striker in the game today.
I’m not having a go at Mo, he can have shit games, he’s deserved it, I’m having a go at the unfair criticism I’ve seen directed towards Nunez whilst other players were shite. Arguably, Nunez offered our biggest (only?) threat yesterday. He’d be pretty low down the list of players to be criticised after yesterday. 

What? Nunez pretty much directly cost us the 3 points yesterday. How is this unfair or unusual criticism compared to any other striker?

Luton are basically a tailor-made opponent to get burried by a top striker, flat track bully style, and he couldn't do it. 

And Salah's had a great start to the season. To say otherwise is just bizarre. Are we expecting a forward in his 30's to play basically every minute of every game, including a fucking cup game in a rainstorm midweek, and always be good?

Or should we expect the 24 year old striker at the peak of his physical powers, who by the way, hasn't actually played that much football this season, to score goals that are quite scoreable?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What? Nunez pretty much directly cost us 3 points yesterday. How is this unfair or unusual criticism compared to any other striker?

Luton are basically a tailor-made opponent to get burried by a top striker, flat track bully style, and he couldn't do it. 

And Salah's had a great start to the season. To say otherwise is just bizarre. Are we expecting a forward in his 30's to play basically every minute of every game, including a fucking cup game in a rainstorm midweek, and always be good?

Or should we expect the 24 year old striker at the peak of his physical powers, who by the way, hasn't actually played that much football this season, to score goals that are quite scoreable?

Nope

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What? Nunez pretty much directly cost us the 3 points yesterday. How is this unfair or unusual criticism compared to any other striker?

yeah he should have scored, but there 9 other players that were shite yesterday that, if only a couple of them would have turned up we’d have won. Yet Nunez was probably our best player but misses an easy chance & he gets the grief. 

Luton are tailor made to get buried by a top striker? They are tailor made to be buried full stop. But strikers have to be assisted too. That’s were the rest of the TEAM come in, and they were fucking woeful. Mo has had a good start to the season, I’m saying he’s been shite for the last 3 week by his standards, to say otherwise is just bizarre. 

13 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

yeah he should have scored, but there 9 other players that were shite yesterday that, if only a couple of them would have turned up we’d have won. Yet Nunez was probably our best player but misses an easy chance & he gets the grief. 

Luton are tailor made to get buried by a top striker? They are tailor made to be buried full stop. But strikers have to be assisted too. That’s were the rest of the TEAM come in, and they were fucking woeful. Mo has had a good start to the season, I’m saying he’s been shite for the last 3 week by his standards, to say otherwise is just bizarre. 

Salah has 6 goals in his last 6 games and was very good against Forest. Just nonsense.

33 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I’m pissed he missed, but when Nunez misses a chance the ‘publicity’ it gets is off the scale, other strikers can miss but they don’t get anywhere near the same treatment. That’s what my ‘strikers miss chances’ comment alluded to. There’s Strikers missing chances & then there’s Nunez’ missing chances. He’s not treated in the same way

Liverpool strikers just don’t miss those type of chances. It’s the nature of the chance he missed that is ridiculous, 3 yards out with all the goal to aim at. It cost us 2 points and a real setback in the season, he needs to fucking sort it.

Many off form strikers don't get in to the position for tap ins, they hide.

I was hesitant about Nunez and worried that he wasn't going to make it. I'm convinced now he will. He's got all the ability, attributes and attitude needed, he just needs to get confidence in to some parts of his game.

I've played football all my life, I still play 6 a side now and I know what a difference confidence makes at my low level of things. The supposed tap ins or one on ones are far easier when you fully expect to score but it only takes a split second for the emotions to go in to your head that make you doubt yourself. The club can help sort that out and when they do he will be some player.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

It’s quite simple…. Don’t miss them then.

I think the issue isn’t missing the chance like yesterday it’s the good chances he’s already missed including a few sitters, it’s all well and good praising the positions he gets in and how much of a handful he is but if he doesn’t score it counts for fuck all does it and as a result it cost us yesterday.

In the tight games as well chances are few and far between he’ll need to convert them because that’s what he’s paid to do and is the reason we paid what we did for him, at the moment though it’s not good enough and I love him backed him since we signed him but yesterday really fucked me off, how can a striker have 9 shots and not score one…. 

15 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Liverpool strikers just don’t miss those type of chances. It’s the nature of the chance he missed that is ridiculous, 3 yards out with all the goal to aim at. It cost us 2 points and a real setback in the season, he needs to fucking sort it.

Two of them did yesterday. Nunez was the worst, but Salah’s was an absolute sitter as well. Any decent striker would be expected to score there, or at least hit the target.

I think there is a touch of Drogba about Nunez. 

Drogba didn’t move to Chelsea until he was 25/26. His first 2 seasons were incredibly underwhelming. He missed loads of chances and the fans got on his back. 

However, as time went on, he improved and improved into one of best strikers the Premiership has ever had.

Nunez is younger than Drogba, more experienced at the same age and is scoring more goal.

I know we can laugh about the Cash OG v Villa and the Gravenberch goal v Toulouse but those 2 chances and the one against Union SG really are inexcusable misses. 

Although he’ll likely be rotated on Thursday, I’d start him again and again on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Two of them did yesterday. Nunez was the worst, but Salah’s was an absolute sitter as well. Any decent striker would be expected to score there, or at least hit the target.

Headers are always more difficult, it’s not in the same stratosphere as the Nunez miss.

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Unless lines have been drawn to show otherwise, he was offside anyway. 

I’m concerned why he only had 1 proper chance yesterday and why he had to create everything else himself. 

Offside? What are you smoking?

4 hours ago, dave u said:

From two feet away, not 3-10 yards. And a football is like 50 times the size of a golfball. Plus the golf ball isn't coming at me at pace, it's stationary. I stand by the comparison, its valid.

You can’t excuse that miss yesterday. Even you could have put that away….