You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

That Georgian lad has £100m Chelsea flop written all over him.

Kvaratskhelia is a left winger.  I just watched a video of him spitting out the bones of Trent when he'd finished dining on him.

19 minutes ago, razor said:

Kvaratskhelia is a left winger.  I just watched a video of him spitting out the bones of Trent when he'd finished dining on him.

We’ve been known to make Yannick Bolasie and Jason Puncheon look like world beaters. He’s clearly a cut above but playing well against Liverpool used to be the transfer criteria during the glory days of Roy Evans.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if we go down a different route than to look for a direct like for like replacement for Mo.

Our forward line is lethal and we have an abundance of blistering pace, I just wonder if we might replace Mo's lightning pace with someone who relies on guile, trickery and craft instead.

Might be a(n even) better balance and complement?

I trust Jürgen to nail it.

So much smoke around that one I reckon there's bound to be fire there somewhere. I think Andre is, at this point, by far the most likely target for us in January.

Never seen him play but his passing and defensive stats look excellent, so as long as the scouts think he's up to it athletically, I'm all for it. To be honest I've been all for it ever since I read a Fluminense fan describing him as "like a 22-year old Fabinho."

Numbers wise we seem OK in the middle. Especially as they won't want to block Bobby Clark and Bajectic long term. You'd think Elliot and Jones are Especially safe as home grown players and if you view them as back ups for Mac Callister and Szoboszlai that's 4. Gravenberch/Bajectic is 6 and Endo the Milner utility player can we carry another,especially non home grown. 

Don't think you can replace Mo directly. There really is a lack of world class right wingers around. Really hope we do t go for Chiesa he doesn't get the numbers and the few times I've seen him post his knee injury he hasn't looked as good. 

I've mentioned Mbeumo as one. Nico Williams and Bakyoko have been linked in the past. The only left winger who looks like they might be able to swap over I've seen lately is Leao who looks comfortable on both feet and if we can play left looks ideal. Reckon Olise and Eze might get looked at too

I'd be spending big on a defender though. And we are badly short of home grown players. 

Also likely to need a new number 2/3 goalkeeper though the Brazilian lad might take one of the spots

Mbeumo and Guehi would be good business imo. 

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Numbers wise we seem OK in the middle. Especially as they won't want to block Bobby Clark and Bajectic long term. You'd think Elliot and Jones are Especially safe as home grown players and if you view them as back ups for Mac Callister and Szoboszlai that's 4. Gravenberch/Bajectic is 6 and Endo the Milner utility player can we carry another,especially non home grown. 

We are still lacking a number six. It's obviously too early to judge Endo, but he's clearly a relatively short term signing.

If we can bring in Andre and move on Thiago next summer, I'd say that the midfield is pretty much set after that.

• Upvote 1

I've said it a million times but something to consider when you get riled by some article, especially in transfer windows, that it's done for clicks and engagement and accuracy isn't the aim.

Neil Jones has written a piece on leaving Goal and setting up as an independent reporter on his substack, within that write up he says.

I’d never disrespect GOAL, or indeed the ECHO, but anyone who has done the job would tell you it’s easy to get into a set routine. You do your press conferences and your matches, you manufacture talking points, you write about X players who can replace X and you do it almost on auto-pilot. That’s how I felt for much of last season, anyway.

This often isn't Writers at the Echo or anywhere else being mouthpieces for the club it's reporters having to churn out x number of stories and x thousand words a week where the metric for success is page impressions over anything else.

Sites are more driven by ad revenue than they are by clubs.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

We are still lacking a number six. It's obviously too early to judge Endo, but he's clearly a relatively short term signing.

If we can bring in Andre and move on Thiago next summer, I'd say that the midfield is pretty much set after that.

What convinces you about Andre as a number six? Every video I watch of him, he falls over under pressure and looks at the ref for a free kick. He won't get those decisions here...

I like him, but still unsure about him in that role. For me, Gravenberch rules him out. Not even sure we still need a dedicated six right now. Need to see how Gravenberch plays on the defensive side and Mac Allister seemingly liking the role reduces the need.

Time will tell, we need some more tough games to test them. 

On 08/09/2023 at 09:04, Strontium said:

I think we should move for Sancho.

Ooh, I can see that, actually.

He was sensational for Dortmund, but immature and he chose exactly the wrong club to move to. If he'd come here he'd have come into a cohesive dressing room with a great manager and a culture of hard work and excellence. Instead he went to a club with a divided dressing room full of knobheads and a permanent hot seat under whoever their manager is at the moment.

On the one hand, he seems to be a bit of a dickhead. On the other, he'd probably come in with a burning passion to succeed and show everyone at City and United they were wrong, and if anyone could shape that into a player it'd be Klopp. Bit of a risk but I wouldn't be opposed for 45m. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

He was sensational for Dortmund, but immature and he chose exactly the wrong club to move to. If he'd come here he'd have come into a cohesive dressing room with a great manager and a culture of hard work and excellence. Instead he went to a club with a divided dressing room full of knobheads and a permanent hot seat under whoever their manager is at the moment.

On the one hand, he seems to be a bit of a dickhead. On the other, he'd probably come in with a burning passion to succeed and show everyone at City and United they were wrong, and if anyone could shape that into a player it'd be Klopp. Bit of a risk but I wouldn't be opposed for 45m. 

Where's he gonna play?

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Given he seems to have been an issue at City, Dortmund, Utd and England, and the burning desire to prove a club wrong should have existed when he moved to Utd, but hasn't, then it'd be a massive risk.

There's definitely still a player in there. I think it's a bit of a romantic concept to think we could coax that out though and he wouldn't be a bellend here. It's the idealism of the Cantona story really, which 99 times out of 100 doesn't end that way.

Hard to tell if Sancho is a bit of a dickhead or just dim. Maybe a bit of both, but we've done well to swerve such players and keep squad harmony under Klopp thus far.

Moot point anyway, as they'd never sell to us.

13 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

There's definitely still a player in there. I think it's a bit of a romantic concept to think we could coax that out though and he wouldn't be a bellend here. It's the idealism of the Cantona story really, which 99 times out of 100 doesn't end that way.

Hard to tell if Sancho is a bit of a dickhead or just dim. Maybe a bit of both, but we've done well to swerve such players and keep squad harmony under Klopp thus far.

Moot point anyway, as they'd never sell to us.

I don't honestly this the glazers give enough of a fuck about either their club or their fans to not sell to us. If that was the best offer on the table, they'd take it..they're desperate for cash. But the lad earns 350k a week. We're not picking up those wages and that's what they'll be looking to shift. It seems to me there's 3 options left for him, first they either treat him like they did Alexis Sanchez and loan him but pay most of his wages, second, Saudi, third he waits his contract for a bosman. Saudi seems the move the mancs would want. I don't think we would fit in any of that. I'm sure they'd sell to us, but they won't pay his wages while he's here. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't honestly this the glazers give enough of a fuck about either their club or their fans to not sell to us. If that was the best offer on the table, they'd take it..they're desperate for cash. But the lad earns 350k a week. We're not picking up those wages and that's what they'll be looking to shift. It seems to me there's 3 options left for him, first they either treat him like they did Alexis Sanchez and loan him but pay most of his wages, second, Saudi, third he waits his contract for a bosman. Saudi seems the move the mancs would want. I don't think we would fit in any of that. I'm sure they'd sell to us, but they won't pay his wages while he's here. 

Fair points. I'd agree the Glazers wouldn't care, I doubt they gave a shit about Heinze either. I think they'd back the manager's stance though, and Ten Hag - like others since Ferguson - is desperate to be seen as a "proper Utd" manager in the same vein. They all try to talk the talk, and part of that is likely not doing business with us (or City).

Completely agree about wages; it's a non starter because of those. Only way he'd come here is on a Bosman with a signing on bonus split over his contract like Milner.