You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Sancho has got Everton written all over him. Suicidal boat while he poses for a club photo, social media post along the lines of "you have to take one step back to move two steps forward". Debut goal met with second coming vibes, points to club crest on shirt, doesn't score ever again.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair points. I'd agree the Glazers wouldn't care, I doubt they gave a shit about Heinze either. I think they'd back the manager's stance though, and Ten Hag - like others since Ferguson - is desperate to be seen as a "proper Utd" manager in the same vein. They all try to talk the talk, and part of that is likely not doing business with us (or City).

Completely agree about wages; it's a non starter because of those. Only way he'd come here is on a Bosman with a signing on bonus split over his contract like Milner. 

I don't think seven hag would carry the same bitterness as Ferguson. And it seems to me relations between the glazers and fsg are very amicable. It'll all come down to money. And that won't be us thankfully. 

Jesus fucking Christ! Where to start on this...

From the BBC transfer gossip roundup

Al-Ittihad looked at Tottenham and Brazil striker Richarlison as an alternative to Salah after their £150m bid for the Liverpool forward was turned down. (Telegraph - subscription required)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/09/saudis-eyed-tottenham-richarlison-mohamed-salah/

Tottenham forward Richarlison was the subject of late interest from Al-Ittihad on deadline day in the Saudi Pro League after they failed to land Mohamed Salah.

The Saudi Arabia club, who had a £150 million bid for Salah turned down by Liverpool a week before the deadline, looked at alternatives when it became clear they would have to wait for their No 1 target, with Richarlison seen as an alternative as the clock ran down.

After talks through intermediaries, the deal for the Brazil striker – who started against Bolivia in a World Cup qualifier over the weekend – ran out of time and did not progress before Thursday night’s 10pm deadline.

But interest in Richarlison is further evidence of the ambition among Saudi Pro League clubs in getting the world’s biggest names to the Middle East. The 26-year-old played at the World Cup with Brazil and is their first-choice striker.

At Spurs this season he has started three out of four Premier League games, with a slight knock keeping him on the bench just before the international break when Burnley were defeated 5-2.

Last season he scored three goals in his first season in north London but fared better for Brazil, scoring three times at the World Cup including a spectacular scissor-kick against Serbia. His move from Everton cost Spurs £60 million, with four years left on his contract with his current club.

Against Bolivia this weekend, he was substituted after missing a chance and was pictured on the bench in tears.

Al-Ittihad are likely to go back in for Salah after missing out on the Egypt forward last week. He has not made a public comment on the Saudi interest in him since it emerged he was a target for a Saudi Pro League club. Liverpool were consistent that the 31-year-old was not for sale and were good to their word.

Salah’s team-mates Jordan Henderson and Fabinho have moved to Saudi Arabia on transfers, while Roberto Firmino headed there as a free agent after his contract ran down at Anfield. Richarlison’s Brazil team-mate Neymar has also moved to Saudi, with Al Hilal.

Anyone would think they didn't know anything about football.

18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't honestly this the glazers give enough of a fuck about either their club or their fans to not sell to us. If that was the best offer on the table, they'd take it..they're desperate for cash. But the lad earns 350k a week. We're not picking up those wages and that's what they'll be looking to shift. It seems to me there's 3 options left for him, first they either treat him like they did Alexis Sanchez and loan him but pay most of his wages, second, Saudi, third he waits his contract for a bosman. Saudi seems the move the mancs would want. I don't think we would fit in any of that. I'm sure they'd sell to us, but they won't pay his wages while he's here. 

Is that true?

Scratch everything I said, then. Shouldn't be going anywhere near that. I was thinking if he was 45m and 150k/week-ish wages, I could see us spending 1/3 of the Salah fee on him. But if that's the wage packet he's on, then never mind.

I do think when it comes to replacing Mo next summer that we don't necessarily have to blow the whole 100m on a huge, established star. Unless Mbappe is on the market or something, I don't see a player out there who'd be worth it. Just get a 20-22 year old for 40-60m (Ansu Fati? Adeyemi?) and don't put pressure on him while he bed in and we play some combination of Nunez/Diaz/Jota/Gakpo.

The alternative is overspending on someone like Sane, and I'd rather see the extra money go towards a top youngish CB.

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Is that true?

Scratch everything I said, then. Shouldn't be going anywhere near that. I was thinking if he was 45m and 150k/week-ish wages, I could see us spending 1/3 of the Salah fee on him. But if that's the wage packet he's on, then never mind.

I do think when it comes to replacing Mo next summer that we don't necessarily have to blow the whole 100m on a huge, established star. Unless Mbappe is on the market or something, I don't see a player out there who'd be worth it. Just get a 20-22 year old for 40-60m (Ansu Fati? Adeyemi?) and don't put pressure on him while he beds in and we play some combination of Nunez/Diaz/Jota/Gakpo.

The alternative is overspending on someone like Sane, and I'd rather see the extra money go towards a top youngish CB.

23 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Is that true?

I do think when it comes to replacing Mo next summer that we don't necessarily have to blow the whole 100m on a huge, established star. Unless Mbappe is on the market or something, I don't see a player out there who'd be worth it. Just get a 20-22 year old for 40-60m (Ansu Fati? Adeyemi?) and don't put pressure on him while he bed in and we play some combination of Nunez/Diaz/Jota/Gakpo.

So you’d rather spend £100 million on a centre back than a left footed attacker?

Obviously we don’t have to spend that much on either, and if we do sell Mo for £100+ million we should have enough funds to buy both the hypothetical forward and CB for 100 big ones each.

22 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

So you’d rather spend £100 million on a centre back than a left footed attacker?

Obviously we don’t have to spend that much on either, and if we do sell Mo for £100+ million we should have enough funds to buy both the hypothetical forward and CB for 100 big ones each.

We need 2 CB minimum next year unless the young lad shows he's ready or Gomez keeps improving again. 

I'm still fully in the Marc Guehi camp as the long term LCB option. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

We need 2 CB minimum next year unless the young lad shows he's ready or Gomez keeps improving again. 

I'm still fully in the Marc Guehi camp as the long term LCB option. 

Depends on what we want to do with Virgil. I would say we need one to replace Matip for sure, and they should be absolutely top notch.

So we’d have New Guy, Konate, van Dijk and Gomez, probably in that order. Which would be absolutely fine for me.

I could see the argument for another younger promising player to come in, especially if Quansah is not going to be good enough. Hopefully he’ll get to Gomez levels.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Is that true?

It was widely reported he got 350k at the time. I think the mancs try and push he's on 250k via their pack journos now as they're trying to give off a view they can't be ripped off, but if you see the reporting at the time when they were dick swinging, it was 350k per week. A mental wage for someone who's achieved nothing. 

As for replacing Salah, he can't be perfectly replaced, but I'm sure we can get a good forward for a respectable fee. We've brought in 4 forwards since we won the league and none have them are insane fees or wages. 

The Athletic has an article on potential Salah replacements today, obviously some would need to switch sides or have a tactical change…

Galactico option - Mbappe, Saka, Kvartatskhelia, Vinicius Jr.

Premiership experience option - Bowen, Olise, Sane, Diaby.

Data driven option - Kubo, Bakayoko. 

There has always been 2 sticking points with Mbappe - cost and Real Madrid. The fact we’ll likely be getting a huge fee for Salah and his wages off the books, coupled with Mbappe not requiring a transfer fee, means we likely could afford him now.

Unfortunately, elbowing Madrid out the way is likely even more difficult.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Depends on what we want to do with Virgil. 

Talk we’re looking to extend his contract. We’re also apparently looking to extend Trent & Tsmiskas’ contracts.

I’ve said plenty of time, IMO, if VVD avoids anymore serious injuries, he can play until Sergio Ramos / Thiago Silva etc age.

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The Athletic has an article on potential Salah replacements today, obviously some would need to switch sides or have a tactical change…

Galactico option - Mbappe, Saka, Kvartatskhelia, Vinicius Jr.

Premiership experience option - Bowen, Olise, Sane, Diaby.

Data driven option - Kubo, Bakayoko. 

There has always been 2 sticking points with Mbappe - cost and Real Madrid. The fact we’ll likely be getting a huge fee for Salah and his wages off the books, coupled with Mbappe not requiring a transfer fee, means we likely could afford him now.

Unfortunately, elbowing Madrid out the way is likely even more difficult.

Rodrygo would be the Madrid move, wouldn't it? Making way for Mbappe?

Sane's the one I really don't want. The guys an utter bellend from everything I've seen. Glad Mane twatted him.

17 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Talk we’re looking to extend his contract. We’re also apparently looking to extend Trent & Tsmiskas’ contracts.

I’ve said plenty of time, IMO, if VVD avoids anymore serious injuries, he can play until Sergio Ramos / Thiago Silva etc age.

I thought I read in some shit mirror article that Kostas had already signed a new deal till 2027. 

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Rodrygo would be the Madrid move, wouldn't it? Making way for Mbappe?

Sane's the one I really don't want. The guys an utter bellend from everything I've seen. Glad Mane twatted him.

Depends where Madrid see Mbappe playing. If it’s wide right, then Rodrygo might see his chances limited. If it’s through the middle, I’d imagine they’d want both. 

If we’re to bid for Rodrygo we need to tell Madrid all funds must go towards signing Haaland ! 

Sane does seem a bit of a tit. At 27, I doubt we’d move for him. 

Apparently the player who profiles the closest to Mo is Diaby. I wonder if the Saudi’s had moved for Mo earlier, would we have tried for Diaby as continuity before he went to Villa. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

He probably can but i seriously doubt it will be at the sort of level we will need given how we play.

VVD has of course been superb for us, a game changer - but that little armed prick at the pit has taken a couple of years off his career at the very top end IMO, which is what we need.

For me we shouldn't be handing a new deal to VVD. He'll be 34 when his exisitng deal ends.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

He probably can but i seriously doubt it will be at the sort of level we will need given how we play.

VVD has of course been superb for us, a game changer - but that little armed prick at the pit has taken a couple of years off his career at the very top end IMO, which is what we need.

For me we shouldn't be handing a new deal to VVD. He'll be 34 when his exisitng deal ends.

i agree. i think at his age, there is absolutely no need to be offering a new contract at this point, unless we have something stupid in there that we have to renegotiate should he become captain. with his contract ending in 2025, I think looking to add a year to that at the end of this season is fine. 

8 minutes ago, etho said:

If we're going like for like Diaby is the one. Pretty silly we didn't just get him straight off Leverkusen really

There was no need a month ago. 

Seeing Rafael Leão and Karim Adeyemi mentioned. 

Leao would be hugely expensive, likely more than we get for Mo.