You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The owners have spent more than double what they normally do in the summer, I would be absolutely astonished if we done anything in January.

Alternatively, they likely know Mo is going and like Mane / Diaz, authorise the outlay early. 

I sure we could afford it.

Assuming Mo, Thiago & Matip leave, that’s c.£35m saved on wages. Obviously, never players will be well paid, I’d be very surprised if it’s as well as Mo or Thiago.

52 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Here’s a potential replacement for Mo, don’t everybody rush to dismiss it at once…

…Bryan Mbeumo.

Just turned 24, left footer playing right wing, pace, assume he speaks English (been at Brentford since 2019), Premiership experience, good injury history.

Only scored 9 goals & 8 assists in 38 last season, so would need to up those numbers, 4/4 so far this season.

I’d rather we went for Jarrod Bowen, he’s improved a ton at West Ham.

Anyone we get will be underwhelming compared to Mo. 

Salah will leave next summer IMHO and we'll cop a big, big fee for him at just the right time.

We'll replace him and his output either directly or indirectly.

Nobody expected Salah to deliver what he has when we signed him - we'll find someone else who delivers same, it may be Salah's 'replacement' it may not be, but just like we have always done and every other successful club has done down the years we'll 'replace' him no bother.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Here’s a potential replacement for Mo, don’t everybody rush to dismiss it at once…

…Bryan Mbeumo.

Just turned 24, left footer playing right wing, pace, assume he speaks English (been at Brentford since 2019), Premiership experience, good injury history.

Only scored 9 goals & 8 assists in 38 last season, so would need to up those numbers, 4/4 so far this season.

Get your own train,I called this 2 weeks ago

We're not going to buy anyone in January.

I'd imagine the next signing we make will be Mos replacement so we don't get fucked with the trickle down economics before he goes. 

And then next summer will obviously see a new centre back when Matip goes

11 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I’d rather we went for Jarrod Bowen, he’s improved a ton at West Ham.

Anyone we get will be underwhelming compared to Mo. 

Yeah, if it were between the two I'd go for Bowen as well. I'm not sure either are really creative enough though. Might be wrong.

With the other goal threats we have, I'd prefer a 10 goal - 15/20 assist man to be honest. 

Still got no idea who that is mind...

12 hours ago, an tha said:

Salah will leave next summer IMHO and we'll cop a big, big fee for him at just the right time.

We'll replace him and his output either directly or indirectly.

Nobody expected Salah to deliver what he has when we signed him - we'll find someone else who delivers same, it may be Salah's 'replacement' it may not be, but just like we have always done and every other successful club has done down the years we'll 'replace' him no bother.

Disagree that we could potentially away with replacing his output indirectly - I think we need to spend big on a player with as much potential as him. The moneyball stuff of bringing in three players in different positions won't work in this case as he's too important. It's like moving Keegan on, we need a Dalglish to step in. 

12 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

The Georgian lad is phenomenal, you fucking loons. 

Amazing player. Him and Mbappe are the two who spring to mind as a replacement, should Salah go, and he'd obviously be more achievable. 

Anyway, hope Salah will be here for the duration of this season at least. 

20 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Disagree that we could potentially away with replacing his output indirectly - I think we need to spend big on a player with as much potential as him. The moneyball stuff of bringing in three players in different positions won't work in this case as he's too important. It's like moving Keegan on, we need a Dalglish to step in. 

Amazing player. Him and Mbappe are the two who spring to mind as a replacement, should Salah go, and he'd obviously be more achievable. 

Anyway, hope Salah will be here for the duration of this season at least. 

Agreed. Mbueno and Bowen are decent premier league players. Neither will ever be the best player in the league in their position, never mind in the world like Mo was. That’s what we need to be looking for.

• Upvote 1

Trying to replace Mo Salah with the next Mo Salah is an impossible suggestion, especially Mo Salah as he turned out, rather than the player we originally wanted. I think that leads us toward signing potential, or another left winger... 

At their highest, our expectations should be a Mane, someone who is ready to make an impact now (or next summer when we need them), has shown they are dangerous and can take the lead when the team needs them - and can play the position we need. Then it's really down to the centre forwards to be consistent goalscorers or we go and buy Sesko or someone similar that will be right up there next to Haaland in the coming years.

Hopefully someone emerges this year to make it a bit easier...

• Upvote 1

The problem with replacing Mo Salah, is that we didn’t buy Mo Salah in the first place. 

We signed some tricky winger that had done ok at a few clubs. 

That player was bitten by a radioactive football while being possessed by the disenfranchised spirits of John Barnes and Ian Rush combined- and transformed into !!!MO SALAH!!! as we now know and love him. 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alan Sex said:

The problem with replacing Mo Salah, is that we didn’t buy Mo Salah in the first place. 

We signed some tricky winger that had done ok at a few clubs. 

That player was bitten by a radioactive football while being possessed by the disenfranchised spirits of John Barnes and Ian Rush combined- and transformed into !!!MO SALAH!!! as we now know and love him. 

That's very true, but the stakes have been upped since Mo joined us and any club we consider a rival is investing huge money on players these days. Also, every club is now invested in the analytics that we probably pioneered a bit - a player like Mo is less likely to go under the radar and we wouldn't be uncontested in trying to sign him. 

When he goes, he needs to be properly replaced. 

We also need a centre half and a full back, but the money should already be there for those. 

So he's free lancing his scouting expertise. I think Klopp has put Edwards reputation on a pedestal. Analytics are far more common and Edwards could of been a pioneer of sorts maybe.. I dont know, but i doubt there's anything unique or special about his abilities these days. The difference maker for us is Klopp, not diminishing Edwards role but i don't think he's this wonder guru.

• Upvote 1