You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Check out Liverpool's new transfer target

Published 22:31 23/01/12 By Daid Maddock

Liverpool are in talks with Real Madrid over signing Real Madrid attacking midfielder Esteban Granero.

Boss Kenny Dalglish has explored the prospect of taking Granero on loan until the end of the season as he look to add some cover for his depleted strikeforce.

Granero can play wide or as a second striker, and he has been on the Anfield radar for some time.

The 24-year-old, who has played for Spain up to Under-21 level but not for the senior side, has also been linked with Arsenal, but Dalglish is hoping to arrange a short-term loan.

Granero has struggled to make an impact at the Bernabeu this season, making just four appearances under coach Jose Mourinho.

The Spanish giants are hoping to sell him in what remains of the January window but so far there have been no takers, which has encouraged the Reds to believe they can thrash out an agreement.

Dalglish will have Luis Suarez back from his eight-match ban next week, but is still concerned about his resources at the sharp end.

Liverpool have managed just 25 league goals this season, making them one of the lowest scoring teams in the top flight.

The Reds boss has said there will be no spending in this transfer window, but concern at the lack of goals has prompted the club to turn to the loan market.

While Real are resistant to the idea of a temporary agreement, they may be persuaded if there is a prospect of a permanent deal at the end of it.

Dalglish has ruled out a move for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic, and there is little Anfield interest in Juventus winger Milos Krasic, but after a recent depressing run of league results, the club recognises the need to bring in attacking cover.

The club has also been tracking Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila, but are unlikely to make a move until the summer.

Mirror

This Tex chap. Isn't he the guy Dalglish said the other day wasn't ready for the first team?

We need a striker for the first team now - as without one we won't get top four, unless Gerrard plays behind Suarez. It is clear Carroll and Kuyt won't fire us to top four and even Suarez hasn't looked clinical, although that could change with Gerrard feeding him.

This Tex chap. Isn't he the guy Dalglish said the other day wasn't ready for the first team?

We need a striker for the first team now - as without one we won't get top four, unless Gerrard plays behind Suarez. It is clear Carroll and Kuyt won't fire us to top four and even Suarez hasn't looked clinical, although that could change with Gerrard feeding him.

No, that was Joao Teixeira, this is David Texeira.

No that was a Sporting midfielder mate (Joao Texeira).

I still don't see how this type of signing will get us top 4 though. We need someone that has a great chance of scoring straight away after joining. I agree eith you that we need a proven goalscorer in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe.

I would get Bent, especially if Villa do want Carroll for a straight swap. He scores goals and that's what we need.

We have to get top four otherwise I can't see us getting Cavani, Hazard etc in the summer, they might not want to come anyway - but we have hardly any chance without Champs League football to help woo them.

No that was a Sporting midfielder mate (Joao Texeira).

I still don't see how this type of signing will get us top 4 though. We need someone that has a great chance of scoring straight away after joining. I agree eith you that we need a proven goalscorer in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe.

Don't neccesarily agree with that notion. Not saying this lads going to bang them in because ive never ever seen him play but i dont think its essential to have played in one of the top 5 leagues, look at United's mexican. The important thing obviously is that hes good enough

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This Tex chap. =

It's catching on. I knew it would. I can't do much, but I can coin a nickname like a mother fucker. Keep it simple, that's what it's all about. Sure, the 'Dann!' chant didn't take off, and 'Jackson 'Thriller' Martinez isn't going to happen, but Tex. Simple, obvious, effective. If only he was Mexican.

It's catching on. I knew it would. I can't do much, but I can coin a nickname like a mother fucker. Keep it simple, that's what it's all about. Sure, the 'Dann!' chant didn't take off, and 'Jackson 'Thriller' Martinez isn't going to happen, but Tex. Simple, obvious, effective. If only he was Mexican.

joe2_sm.jpg

If we're actually signing someone this window I'm a bit pissed that we're waiting until the last week when we knew Suarez would be out for the whole month.

Hoping beyond hope we have someone lined up. Every day that passes, seems more likely we won't be signing anyone. Stranger things have happened though, just look at this time last year (heh). We need a decent striker asap, that's for certain.

If we're actually signing someone this window I'm a bit pissed that we're waiting until the last week when we knew Suarez would be out for the whole month.

After it worked so well for us last year....

We had Ajax accusing us of being cheap and insulting then we lost one of our biggest assets last minute and replaced him with an injured turd

Guest Numero Veinticinco
joe2_sm.jpg

I'm not sure quite how far over your head that went, but it seems pretty fucking far. You must fucking hate stuff like Alan Partridge or, well, anything not as blunt and obtuse as you are.