You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

To be honest I would pay that yes.

He's got bags full of potential. Put it this was I see more value investing in Zaha than I ever saw in Henderson at Sunderland.

I tend to agree with you, although i like henderson and think he will come good

But 10 million for zaha....no doubt the curse of liverpool will strike again

He does worry defenders though, and has bags of skill, something we need badly

I was hoping we'd have looked at/signed some players like Iker Muniain, Xherdan Shaquiri, Javi Martinez, Sergio Canales, Christian Erikson, et al., but it doesn't look like we're interested in that sort of player at the moment.

Thats an excellent bunch of players you mention there mate

They are not renowned as some other talents like hazardm hamsik, cavani etc etc

Do you think they are 20 million pound transfers?

Javi martinez is the best of that bunch for me, he would control our midfield with lucas to a great standard

We would need a erikksson aswell, but i think of all the players you mentioned he might cost the most?

Maybe a hoilett/zaha and spend big on martinez would be a better way to go...

We need some foregin/international flair in our team desperatly, along with pace and skill

Looking at some of the post in this thread, people are saying buying British players has now been proved to be shite and the wrong decison etc. but I though we needed a certain quota of British players in the squad? and with us having many a season of buying players from abroard we needed to bulk up the numbers.

Obviously I agree spending £35 mil on 1 english player is stupid but I think it looks more like a long term plan. We bought some decent young players who at that time we thought they would improve and they still could.

We have now got to balance that with the right type of player/s from overseas. We need a goalscorer somebody who can just sit be patient and poach.

Call me stupid but I think once confidence starts to build the likes of downing and Henderson will come very good buys (admit not for the price paid) but with the right player up top to link with suarez bellamy gerrard and downing I think things will start looking up very fast.

Hopefully.

Thats an excellent bunch of players you mention there mate

They are not renowned as some other talents like hazardm hamsik, cavani etc etc

Do you think they are 20 million pound transfers?

Javi martinez is the best of that bunch for me, he would control our midfield with lucas to a great standard

We would need a erikksson aswell, but i think of all the players you mentioned he might cost the most?

Maybe a hoilett/zaha and spend big on martinez would be a better way to go...

We need some foregin/international flair in our team desperatly, along with pace and skill

if someone had of named

suarez,torres and carroll to me

this time last year ,and asked me who would cost the most,and who would cost the least i would have been very,very wrong.

Point being,you just dont know.

If that lad wanted to come here we could get him for alot less than 20 mill.

I think once confidence starts to build the likes of downing and Henderson will come very good buys (admit not for the price paid) but with the right player up top to link with suarez bellamy gerrard and downing I think things will start looking up very fast.

Hopefully.

Downing is not mentally tough enough, and I can't ever see him being the player we need unfortunately. Henderson needs to tackle and attck when he has the ball, but is a good player. Downing is particularly disappointing though. Just seems to lack bottle.

From the little ive seen of him he doesn't look like he has any pace , maybe thats the reason none of the big hitters are in for him ? surely if hes that good he wouldn't be going to Turkey.

Disagree with that, could've said the same about Demba Ba for example. If he's so good then why's he going to West Ham (then Newcastle).

But I have to say from the little I've seen of him his decision making seems really poor, he doesn't have much pace as you said and his crossing/set piece deliveries seemed erratic at best.

No what we need in my opinion, we need someone who's performed consistently in a decent league.

Downing is not mentally tough enough, and I can't ever see him being the player we need unfortunately. Henderson needs to tackle and attck when he has the ball, but is a good player. Downing is particularly disappointing though. Just seems to lack bottle.

Why tho? is it because he is what he is right now and is shit or is it lack of confidence.

Surley he cant be an English international and a star player for Villa then just turn turd. Im not trying to defend how shite he has been just trying to understand why.

@stephen1martin - No #lfc players will to go to Gron & we won't meet fee. Looks finished. Also, personal terms not agreed with young Texeria. Still possible.

No problem. He'll score 30 in the next 15 games and we'll be priced out him by the summer anyway. Sorted. And another who got away cos we wouldn't pay the extra £2m.

Assuming this stephen1martin character is right of course as I have no effing clue who he is.

Why tho? is it because he is what he is right now and is shit or is it lack of confidence.

Surley he cant be an English international and a star player for Villa then just turn turd. Im not trying to defend how shite he has been just trying to understand why.

A star player in an average Villa doesnt define a player. As for England International considering the dearth of English left wingers he cant consider himself as more than a squad player. Says it all really

He has always been like this throughout his career even at Villa when he hit a purple patch, he wasnt close to making any sort of difference in a team with aspirations of Champions League football.

if someone had of named

suarez,torres and carroll to me

this time last year ,and asked me who would cost the most,and who would cost the least i would have been very,very wrong.

Point being,you just dont know.

If that lad wanted to come here we could get him for alot less than 20 mill.

Thts true! Not sure we would have got him for less than 20 million, but probably cheaper, we forced the transfer, that was obvious at the time

Javi Martinez has converted into a centre back under his new manager, Marcelo Bielsa and if you though he was an excellent midfielder well he certainly is an excellent CB as well.

He is a brilliant player, so classy and calm on the ball

For me he would be number 1 target to play alongside lucas next season

He is just as much creative as he is good defnsively, id break the bank for him.

Good to see us get through to the final.

Now that the owners are here and are likely to stay for the mancs game as well, we should ask them to open the check book.

Think we still need a pacy forward and a right winger. Would be nice if we can add a defensive midfielder on loan.