You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Rodgers asks for season to end now

BRENDAN Rodgers has asked the FA whether they can call the league quits while his team are in the top four.

The Liverpool manager hopes to qualify for Champion’s League football before the inevitable collapse in the forthcoming months sees them finish just above Sunderland.

Rodgers said: “We’ve no major injuries, we’ve not conceded any goals and none of the players has started a race riot so it seems a shame to spoil things by letting the season continue.

“Ending the season today will also see Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Swansea relegated, saving everybody nine months before that probably happens anyway.”

Rodgers asks for season to end now

BRENDAN Rodgers has asked the FA whether they can call the league quits while his team are in the top four.

The Liverpool manager hopes to qualify for Champion’s League football before the inevitable collapse in the forthcoming months sees them finish just above Sunderland.

Rodgers said: “We’ve no major injuries, we’ve not conceded any goals and none of the players has started a race riot so it seems a shame to spoil things by letting the season continue.

“Ending the season today will also see Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Swansea relegated, saving everybody nine months before that probably happens anyway.”

Excellent thinking.

Credit where credit is due. Long may it continue.

Have to say for the first time in years today I have a warm fuzzy feeling from seeing our name at the top of the league. Some deep rooted feeling or memory came flooding back and I was filled with joyous nostalgia of long forgotten times when all was good in the world.

Doing a good job Brendan Sir...Drive on!!!!

It took us until 20 October last year to amass 9 points. We've done it by 1 September this season.

It's time to rack up a shit load of points between now and January and then see what happens.

GK's - Mignolet, Jones

FB's - Johnson, Enrique, Cissokho, Flanagan

CB's - Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Sakho, Illori, Wisdom

MF's - Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Alberto, Coutinho

FW's - Suarez, Sturridge, Aspas, Moses, Sterling, Ibe

Unknowns: Rossiter, McLaughlin, Texieira

On loan: Reina, Borini, Assaidi, Robinson, Suso, Coady

If necessary, and Skrtel to Napoli looks still on, we could raise close to £30m relatively easily for Skrtel and Reina in January, and then go for that super attacker or midfielder that would give the squad added gloss and quality. Rodgers has already said today that we will be looking to add again in January. Part of me thinks that we might entertain a large bid for Suarez as he won't be cup tied for the CL, he'll easily be the biggest target for CL clubs in January, so we could be looking at asking for £60m.

Make no mistake, the process of building is a non-stop one. We're now in a position to push on for 3 months. We need to look at it again in January and do it again though. I'd like to think that Ben Arfa might be on our radar, especially as Moses may be on ACN duty.

But for now, we've got 16 more fixtures to face in the PL before we can add again. Among them, City, Chelsea, Everton, Tottenham, and Arsenal, ALL away from home. You can maybe see why we went for Moses and kept hold of Sterling and Ibe, we're going to be playing on the counter a lot.

But come January, we're looking at a downhill slope and maybe we need that extra creativity to help break teams down at Anfield. Only one standout difficult away from Jan to May, and that's United away. We won't be countering so much...

• Downvote 1

I remember from some interview that Rodgers said he needs 4 transfer windows (or 5, can't recall for 100%) to assemble his own complete squad, we still need at least 2 class players to the starting 11 (DM and left sided striker/winger), but so far so good. (+ I really hope we come back for Papadopulous in January because him with Sakho would mean CB spots sorted for 10 years, heh)

Hes done a great job since the start of the year after the tough start he had.

Remember saying half way through Kennys last season that it all needed to be ripped up and started again from scratch and thats what has happened, Rodgers is doing a very good job of it so far but he still needs time, patience and backing.

If he gets us into the CL this season it would be an amazing job by him and massive for the club, we really could and should push on if that happens.

Martin Kelly dislikes this.

Oh yeah, him.

I love bringing in top centre backs, it immediately makes opposition teams start to worry when they see big athletic lads like Toure and Sakho are one of the centre backs. Our backline is physically intimidating when you look at those two, and then Enrique's chest, and Mignolet, even Johnson is a big, strong lad for a full back, and then the likes of Kelly, Agger and Skrtel have height. We're not going to get bullied in that area, and we won't lack pace either.

The squad and the style of the team is changing very quickly now. It goes to show that we really were languishing under Kenny in the final 6 months, there wasnt the same advancements occurring. I dont want to get into Kenny here, or anywhere really, but it's plain to see under Rodgers that we are evolving.

We're going to lose games. Let's get that out of the way and deal with it. But we seem to be learning from mistakes a lot faster than we have previously.

A strong defence is half the battle won though. If you don't concede goals then you're in a great position to win a lot of games. United have been like that for years, that's why they spent a fortune on the likes of Ferdinand, Stam, and De Gea among others. They even outbid us for Phil Jones as a centre back, again, Ferguson knew it was overpaying but potentially it's saving, because you don't go through two or three lesser players before you find the right one. Jones is destined to pick up injuries though, I've always said as much, he's too big and ungainly and he clatters into challenges, too much impact, he's not designed for it.

In many ways, we look at our midfield and we've collectively sighed because we're short in real quality. But when you have a very strong defence and a very strong attack, the midfield is not as important. United's midfield has been quite pedestrian for the last 10 years, even taking into account the talent of Scholes. Carrick's a lovely player, but he;s not World Class by any stretch, not in my opinion.

We just need our midfield to 'function' on a basic level, and that's to put pressure on the opposition and to pass it short and accurately where possible. I'm not a fan of the 'switching of play', I think it's quite useless unless it's done at real pace and the first touch of the receiver is a very good one. So the Hollywood pass thing isn't something we should be applauding. You turn and look up and play a sweeping 40 yard pass to the other wing, that takes about 3 or 4 seconds from beginning to end. 3 or 4 seconds is a long, long time for a defence and midfield to jog 5-10 yards and nullify that.

No, we just need the basics, over 5, 10, 20 yards, done at speed on the break and done in a controlled way when we want to retain possession. We have four players to cover three positions though, and that's a concern, depending on how much you rate Luis Alberto to make up the fifth member. However, we can draft Coutinho in there but it takes away from his influence upfield.

In terms of what 'system' we play, it's always the same. 4-3-3 or a variant thereof, but there are different ways of playing that system, it can be done to nullify a team or it can be done to attack a team. That's what we seem to be learning, getting better at, is understanding that the 4-3-3 is the underpinning template that has lots of skins you can place over it.