You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Rodgers has really grown on me, sadly though it wouldn't surprise me if he resigned at end of season, if he gets us in CL he could walk into any job, but he's pissing in the wind with the idiots running our club shafting him in the transfer market.

There does seem to be an ethic that the club offers rewarding contract extensions to the personnel that are value for money. Isn't Rodgers value for money?

I think things would have to get a lot worse for him to walk. As well as he's done he wouldn't get a chance at a club this size at the end of the year, so I think he'd stay put.

I do wonder how much more shite he'll take before at least having the odd little dig publically. He can't be happy with FSG, Ayre, or the committee. All of which aren't exactly helping him to do his job.

All seems rather familiar.

He is, is he been helped to develop the team by those above him? Last 12 months he hasn't, as I said wouldn't surprise me if he walks

I like Rodgers, but with all due respect to the man, Liverpool FC is as big a gig as he's ever going to get in his career. The only way he's going to leave us is if he is sacked.

I like Rodgers, but with all due respect to the man, Liverpool FC is as big a gig as he's ever going to get in his career. The only way he's going to leave us is if he is sacked.

I don't agree with that, he's doing very well for us, has turned our fortunes round relatively quickly and with a smallish outlay. He's ambitious and if the club don't match those ambitions by fucking around like a bunch of amateurs in the transfer market he may look elsewhere and I suspect there will be big clubs looking at the work he has done at Anfield with envious eyes.

He is, is he been helped to develop the team by those above him? Last 12 months he hasn't, as I said wouldn't surprise me if he walks

Is there really a better job on offer? Mourinho is going nowhere and neither is Wenger. I suppose City could fire Pellegrini if they don't win anything but I doubt it. The scum? Wouldn't really say they're either bigger or better at this point, and I'd be very surprised were he to leave for Spurs as it's a lateral move at best and most likely a step down.

So who then?

This is one of the things i love about Rodgers and the way we play, its the way i have always wanted us to play against the dregs of the league, just go out and smash them, if they score a couple who cares because we will score 4 or 5.

It was the manc blueprint for years and we all know how successful it was.

Totally correct.

Mancs were winning plenty with leaky defences.

Is there really a better job on offer? Mourinho is going nowhere and neither is Wenger. I suppose City could fire Pellegrini if they don't win anything but I doubt it. The scum? Wouldn't really say they're either bigger or better at this point, and I'd be very surprised were he to leave for Spurs as it's a lateral move at best and most likely a step down.

So who then?

What's classed as a better job? One with a team higher in the table or one where the manager isn't let down by his superiors consistently?

I said it yesterday it's debatable who had to work under worse conditions when our manager Rafa or Rodgers, Rafa at least got his massive contract and inherited a CL team. Both of them were failed when wanting to carry us up a level, that can't be debated.

So who then?

25 years worth of success can be wiped out in half a season? We all love Liverpool mate, but to say the united job isn't bigger or better is insane. Especially as Moyes has already spent £70m net this season, and has the promise of another £150m to spend in summer.

I don't think Rodgers would go there if he was asked in the summer, because he seems like an honourable guy who has bought in to us, and he seems like he does love it here,  

Not because he's worried about stepping sideways.

Seriously deluded.                                                                               

Debatable who had the worst conditions to work under, Rafa or Rodgers???

[Debate]

It was Rafa

[/Debate]

Really? Rafa was on more money, inherited a better team, a team in the CL. Both were let down by the owners, although Rafa still got to buy robbie Keane, Aqualani, glen Johnson for near £20m fees, all not worth it. Added to £22m on Torres which was a bargain, and Mascherano for £18m, all these transfers over a 24 month period. Rodgers hasn't had that luxury, and 4 times in 6 months he's been shafted.

Both were seriously let down though, this window reminded me of January 2009, great opportunity missed.

Look at Benitez at Napoli, he's been backed and doing well, are Napoli bigger than us? Not a chance, is it a better job? Certainly seems that way.

I don't agree with that, he's doing very well for us, has turned our fortunes round relatively quickly and with a smallish outlay. He's ambitious and if the club don't match those ambitions by fucking around like a bunch of amateurs in the transfer market he may look elsewhere and I suspect there will be big clubs looking at the work he has done at Anfield with envious eyes.

Agreed, Im sure spurs would definitely take him at the end of the season and if mourinho leaves Chelsea in a couple of years Im sure abramovich would love his Chelsea team to play like we do.

Pellegrini is also not the youngest and wont be at city forever, Id like to think Rodgers is happy and planning to stay long term but if this missing out on players every window continues we may have problems keeping him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Hopefully not, but if you were consistently failed by your boss and got another job offer would you take it?

Rodgers has his faults and can have a few brain farts like villa and Newcastle, but if he gets us CL football this season he could walk into pretty much any job.

I highly doubt he sees it quite the way you've put it - consistently failed by the boss - but it would depend what the job was. He's not going to resign. We'll strengthen against in the Summer, and we'll go from there. He's in a job that his achievements didn't merit. As he says, this is a destination for him.

I'm a bit bored of the forum's collective wisdom on transfers, too. Lists of missed targets being wheeled out with the tag-line 'due to incompetence'. Not paying 30m + wicked agents fees and signing bonuses for William wasn't incompetence. If anything, it was a bravura display of intelligence, judgement, and competence. Not overpaying for the likes of Sigurdsson and Dempsey wasn't incompetence, it showed restraint and standards. Yes I'd have loved Costa, but was that really due to incompetence? For me, it had nothing whatsoever to do with incompetence.

I don't deny Ayre needs replacing, or at least sidewards shifting, but the team that we're going to be putting out today will be largely made up from FSG signings, and good ones they are too. I think the money was there for Konoplyanka, and if they'd had their way I suspect he'd be in the team sooner or later. I don't think it was a lack of support on their part. I certainly don't think the manager is going to walk out of one of the biggest jobs in football over it.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers is being spared a lot of flak because of the incompetence of Ayre but he's had 3 windows to recognise our frailty in the centre of the park and at full back in this window and nothing has been done about it. I'd say rather then walking he's pretty fortunate the top brass are a bit clueless about on field activities.

Jesus. Draw away from home and all of a sudden he's shit! He was a genius in the previous game...

Not saying he's shit as we are 4th, but the unbelievable form of Suarez has helped him no end. Only Sturridge has been an out and out success out of 10/11 signings. Coutinho is still too up and down. If we had pursued a DM in the window then I'd say he recognises where we are lacking but he didn't. So the jury has to be hung as he has had a fairly decent pot of money at his disposal and not a lot has come from it.

There's a rich irony in us finally having a manager who desperately wants to prioritise the sort of pacey, powerful, talented wide player most of us have wanted for 15 odd years, but after spunking JPMorgan's sterling overdraft up the bathroom wall on all manner of shit in that timescale, now not being able to get even one of them over the line.

Taking away funds (I know), thinking what a Costa or even a Willian would add to this team at the moment is as exciting as it is frustrating. At least a manager who gets that those type of players are essential is half the battle, behind actually being able to bring them in. Well, maybe a third as you then have whether they're the right player for us or not based on all the many variables.

All things considered, it still feels like a move in the right direction for me after a period where us targetting Albert Riera briefly raised a bit of frisson.

Not saying he's shit as we are 4th, but the unbelievable form of Suarez has helped him no end. Only Sturridge has been an out and out success out of 10/11 signings. Coutinho is still too up and down. If we had pursued a DM in the window then I'd say he recognises where we are lacking but he didn't. So the jury has to be hung as he has had a fairly decent pot of money at his disposal and not a lot has come from it.

But your implication is that if we had owners who understood footy he'd be in trouble. You don't want owners choosing the team do you?

Of course Suarez helps, that's a given. I've been pissed off with a number of things this season but I think he's done enough to deserve another season regardless.

As for signings, it seems that our owners prefer to sanction mid-level in terms of money so it's bound to be hit and miss. I don't understand lack of DM target and FB though.