You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Argument fail ^

I asked whether you're implying that I'm not already putty in Brendan's hands.

So ..?

I am, because there's a difference. No-one can pull one over on you Coro. You're not putty in anyone's hands. You've got the low down on all the scheming going on. You know what's happening, even though everyone else is either in denial or sleepwalking as we continue on our inexorable path towards oblivion.

We'll do a Dortmund

What like halve ticket prices, bring in fan ownership, hire a top class CEO with the philosophy that football is more than just a business?

No, I mean, er, we'll shop from the same bracket

Oh, right. Whilst implementing all the above?

Erm... no, don't misrepresent my opinions! I'm not interested in your reality!

OK ...

Ha ha, nice one C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco
those who fancy him ought to start worrying a bit whether he is being given the best chance to succeed or not. Its also just possible he may be more ambitious than FSG and may eventually seek "greener" pastures on his own.

So from 'he's not good enough for us' to 'we're can't keep hold of him' in 12 months! Nah, I think he's in it for the long haul. I do think we should wait the next 7 days. If nothing happens, then it's time for people to start talking about these things (imo).

So from 'he's not good enough for us' to 'we're can't keep hold of him' in 12 months! Nah, I think he's in it for the long haul. I do think we should wait the next 7 days. If nothing happens, then it's time for people to start talking about these things (imo).

To me he wasn't good enough, we should have aimed higher. He's turned out better than I feared, and I'm honestly wondering if he indeed has more ambition than our owners. Yeah 7 days could see us sign an new addition to the first XI (another squad addition or young prospect won't cut it) but I highly doubt it. Our early results have likely made the owners feel better about doing nothing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
To me he wasn't good enough, we should have aimed higher. He's turned out better than I feared, and I'm honestly wondering if he indeed has more ambition than our owners. Yeah 7 days could see us sign an new addition to the first XI (another squad addition or young prospect won't cut it) but I highly doubt it. Our early results have likely made the owners feel better about doing nothing.

I wasn't actually meaning you, to be honest. Just the general feeling at the time. It'll be ironic if the man many said wasn't good enough left because we weren't good enough for him! I certainly don't think that'll happen.

I just hope beyond hope that we bring somebody very good in, if only to keep us all focused on the pitch and pushing in the same direction. Can't be doing with another H+G scenario.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

As you know, I'm in the other camp. I love the guy. I like his vision for football, I like the style, I like his man-management. He still needs time to grow into the role of a leader at the club, but it's a different game now. You don't really have the manager being the top dog - like Ferguson - quite as much any more.

TBH I'm probably way too pessimistic like I was in my Villa prediction. As I said I didn't rate him but if he can keep us close to 4th through another year on the kind of resources he's been given I'll be a backer.

"way too pessimistic" - do ya think?? :whistle:

more dogshit than icecream - :P

I really like the way he tries to go about the game. We press, try to win the ball back quickly, pass, move and score goals. It is a work in progress but we are looking better than we have in years. If he gets one or two more players we could really go places. He is growing in authority and I like what I see so far.

I haven't been impressed by him, so far. I think he's doing an okay job. He's not done badly, but considering what we're going to need from the Liverpool manager, with these owners, I don't think it's been near enough, yet. It's still about two years too early to formulate any concrete judgement, though, in my view.

He's not done badly, but considering what we're going to need from the Liverpool manager, with these owners, I don't think it's been near enough, yet.

What does that even mean? Do you expect something different from a manager under FSG? Rodgers has continually given them targets and they have failed to deliver those targets thus far. What else do we need from a Liverpool manager to be closer to what you desire?

Personally, he has done exceptionally.

To finish seventh in the Pl in only his fourth full year is a remarkable achievement. Looking at the carnage elsewhere surviving a year is an achievement too.

His media work is excellent, to a fault, but with so little behind him that was inevitable. He handled Jaws2 better than KK handled the Evra affair.

His next target will be to guide a club to EL qualification, something he has never done before, and I think he stands a good chance with us this season . In the domestic cups he has never guided a team beyond the fourth round and he should do better this time around as his experience grows.

Our start is amongst the best in years, he shows promise. Whether he is good enough for us is another matter. When players are looking for a move he is a significantly lower pull tan Moyes, Wenger, Mourinho, Pellegrini and Villas Boas, but he was brought in to buy the bargains that the aforementioned missed, and Couts is a great example of him finding the target.

I get behind all of our managers, whoever they are, and will complain and praise as appropriate. With so little experience, he has hardly put a foot wrong.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It doesn't work like that, Xerxes. You're going solely off his experience. Will Moyes have done well if he gets in the CL proper? He never has before. Of course not, he inherited the champions.

It doesn't work like that, Xerxes. You're going solely off his experience. Will Moyes have done well if he gets in the CL proper? He never has before. Of course not, he inherited the champions.

Any manager has to stand or fall by his track record- that's life.

Moyes is in uncharted territory in the CL proper. Man U have taken a risk, but that is balanced by a very good knowledge of the PL.

The art of managerial appointments is in anticipating what a manager might achieve, rather than dwelling too long on the past. Experience reduces risk, but does not guarantee success.

The situation with Rodgers remains unchanged, he might do it ( and after the first year his chances have improved significantly) but it is odds against. that does not mean that we cannot all enjoy the ride. He has done better in the league than KK did, he speaks less mumbo jumbo than Roy, and there is none of the politicking of the Rafa era, all plusses.