You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where do people stand on this lad, obviously because of his age he can be excused for the odd poor performance but I'm yet to see anything in him to suggest he can make it here. For a young lad he's slow and laboured in possession and his technique doesn't look all there to me.

Disclaimer: I know I'm likely to be branded a premature knob but I'm just giving my honest view on a player which for reasons unknown to me people hold hope for

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hasn't had much of an opportunity the poor kid.....he's rated by the staff and i'd go on their knowledge before ours which is basically seeing him shifted around in different positions late on in games, also he's just back from injury so understandably lacks a bit of sharpness

having said all that he hasn't looked great in the few cameos he has had, what he needs is to settle on a position on the pitch and also a run of games, i remember this time last year people were saying the same as you have about Spearing and he has looked decent lately

so give the kid a chance and more importantly what do you think is his best position?

I would send him out on loan next season. I think he has ability but he's not quite there yet, and could maybe do with a season in the Championship, or maybe at one of the promoted Premiership clubs. I don't think he's going to get much of a look in for us and he will be behind Spearing in the pecking order now, so a season on loan makes perfect sense. I'd say the same about Wilson to be honest.

easy now on him. It was a difficult game to come in to, especially for an offensive player who has just come back from an injury.

He definately got potential, but its too early to tell if he will break through here. One thing is certain and that is Kenny has alot of faith in him.

Not going to be too harsh on him today as he is just back from a bad injury, but I said earlier this season that I just can't see what he brings to the party at all, but Kenny obviously sees something.

Don't think the stints in the wide right position do him any favours.

Where do people stand on this lad, obviously because of his age he can be excused for the odd poor performance but I'm yet to see anything in him to suggest he can make it here. For a young lad he's slow and laboured in possession and his technique doesn't look all there to me.

Disclaimer: I know I'm likely to be branded a premature knob but I'm just giving my honest view on a player which for reasons unknown to me people hold hope for

What the fuck ...we've just put in a sterling performance against title challengers and your reaction is to start a thread dissing a young player ,seriously what is it with our fans these days...fuck off back to yawn or wherever

First game back after 3 months out injured. And it showed today.

Nothing more than that right now. As an 18 year old in his first season what do people expect exactly?

If the King see's something in training to pick him ahead of Joe Cole, who are we to question it?

It's easier to look good as a defender though isn't it? Creating and scoring goals is the hardest part of football and thus Shelvey will be judged on higher requirements than some of the other youngsters, in my opinion.

I haven't been impressed with him to be fair but he's only young and is also returning from a fairly bad injury. Kenny obviously has faith in him by bringing him on ahead of Maxi and Cole, so let's just give him some time to develop.

What the fuck ...we've just put in a sterling performance against title challengers and your reaction is to start a thread dissing a young player ,seriously what is it with our fans these days...fuck off back to yawn or wherever

I'm looking at the bigger picture like as previous posters have said he doesn't look anything like the level of robinson, spearing, Kelly and Flanagan when he's had vast amounts more experience at a high level. I'm not basing my opinion on today's game granted it was very hard to make any positive impression but every other time I've seen the lad play including reserve football.

I'm looking at the bigger picture like as previous posters have said he doesn't look anything like the level of robinson, spearing, Kelly and Flanagan when he's had vast amounts more experience at a high level. I'm not basing my opinion on today's game granted it was very hard to make any positive impression but every other time I've seen the lad play including reserve football.

Rafa benitez and Kenny Dalglish both see/saw something that impressed them about this lad ...that should be fucking good enough.

The bigger picture !!! what like Lucas getting slated from all sides for the last 3 years and now being one of our performers of the season.Give the lad a chance for fucks sake,he's here a wet weekend and already being written off

I think he needs a decent run of games before he can be truly judged. Only a couple of months ago people were shaking there heads at Jay Spearing being included in the derby, but, in my opinion, he looks better every time I see him play. When his only contribution was through 5-10 minute cameos here and there he looked absolutely woeful.