You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think he will be a good player and nothing more. I get the impression that he thinks he is better than he is at times. Remember the ridiculous free-kick at Old Trafford in the FA Cup game? Le Tallec was also cut from the same cloth.

I think self confidence is an admirable trait to have though.

The difference between him and Le Tallec, for me, is that Le Tallec wasn't shy in telling the world he was the next coming, whereas Shelvey's at least tried to do it on the pitch. It may not have come off for him, yet, but you can see he's gaining more and more confidence all the time and has never shyed away from asking for the ball.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilshire is the sort of player i'd put in the same bracket as Rooney, and Owen. In that He was incredible for the youth teams and it was obvious he was always going to make that step up to the first team.

Shelvey is someone i'd put in the Carragher, Stephen Warnock bracket. Its obvious he's got potential, but whether he can step up enough, to get to that level that is good enough for us, I'm unsure. But he will need a few years, and maybe a loan spell somewhere.

Iis this the Wilshere who has already played about 50 games for Arsenal and has the sum total of 4 goals?

Yeah, up there with Rooney and Owen.

I think the faith Kenny showed to give him a run out albeit at leftback rather than bring on Kyriagos speaks volumes. He didn't need to do that and it was a slight risk even 4-0 up with 10 mins left. I think it allowed him more space to play passes in and he needs to do this when he is playing further up the pitch with less space and use his brian a little.

brian-little-allan-evans-signed-1996-league-cup-final-celebration-aston-villa.jpg

He's still very young.

I like him and I think he has the confidence and passing ability that Kenny wants to see.

He isn't going to be a world beater and be able to win games on his own like Gerrard used to do. But then again nor can Spearing and many players. But he is a very good player when he keeps it simple, just like he did on Saturday.

you are aware that those two are strikers though yeah?

Yeah, don't know much about Wilshere though, I assume he plays off the striker they way he's swanning around like a peacock and everyone is worshipping him? (Even though he only has a bout 2 assists in his career.) He certainly ain't playing as a DM so I have no idea why he would be compered to the granny shagger and the gamble shagger anyway.

"Kenny likes him" is such a lame argument.

No it isn't.

The fact Shelvey is getting chances suggest that Kenny has obviously seen something in him. Don't forget that we see 10-20 minute snippets of the guy, Kenny sees him every day in training.

Or do you think Kenny is an idiot?

• 2 weeks later...

Came into the match tonight around the 55th minute when it was being played at a very high pace as Fulham were trying to get back into the game

Took his time to get going as it can be expected, but when he did he played very well

His pass for Suarez that led to the goal was excellent, his link up play with Suarez in general was top class, looked like they had a great understanding just when you thought either one had played the final ball they'd play another give and go.

Composure on the ball is something that is often overlooked especially in the English national setup and imo is one of the main reasons they don't do well at big tournaments.If you cant run the 100 meters in under 11 seconds your shite, what good does it do Lennon and Walcott?

The fact that he didnt get named in the u21 squad says it all

This lad has composure in abundance, doesn't panic gets his head up and finds a red shirt in space and moves on, the fact that Kenny brings him on nearly every match is the best compliment i can highlight

Great Prospect

Guest TK-421

Class act with a great future. We've got some supremely confident young players coming through, with the talent to back it up, and Shelvey is no exception.

Until the pass to Suarez, I wasn't too impressed.

But then again the match had changed at that point as well, so it wasn't going to be like the first half over again.

Still can't work out what he is, where he plays.

But if Kenny likes him, then there's something worth waiting for.

Impressive run-out from him last night. Great composure on the ball, never panics, sometimes gets the pass wrong but crucially, doesn't let it bother him and tries it again next time.

He's barely turned 19 too, people need to remember.

He's slowly improving but needs games. I have seen him in the reserves and his range of passing is good and he doesn't lack confidence, might need to go on loan if he doesn't get enough game time next season

I may have said on this thread that I would be interested in seeing him as a defensive midfielder, and I wonder if his recent outings at left back have been a prelude to him moving there!

Good movement, not blistering pace (which could prove a problem as an attacking midfielder), physical presence and a good eye for a pass!

I'm not saying he will be as good as SG but he will be SG's replacement. He is strong, 2 great feet, sees a pass...... Not sure what people expect of him right now.

Great acquisition

You are joking I hope,one of SGs greatest blessings is his burst of speed.Jamie Rednapp actually calls it frightening the turn of pace SG has.

Jonjo is more in the Alonso mode if anything.As the one thing he dosent have is pace.

You are joking I hope,one of SGs greatest blessings is his burst of speed.Jamie Rednapp actually calls it frightening the turn of pace SG has.

Jonjo is more in the Alonso mode if anything.As the one thing he dosent have is pace.

Nope, I'm not joking. He doesn't have SGs pace and probably wont score as many goals either but he is a driving midfielder who will go past people and frighten defences