You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

I think we all agree wealth of that kind always finds away to get off but that's missing the point. Having them under investigation for 5 years has already led to a stink associated with them and another 5 years to get it sorted just continues it. The reason they still have Abu Dhabi broadband suppliers plastered over their giant advertising boards is because real companies don't want to be associated.  The assumed guilt is enough for me, delighted for Jurgen and the players that they can sleep knowing they were cheated and still managed to beat the cheats.

7 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

If it’s up until 17/18, surely the benefits of cheating were still playing for them in the following years?

It's only up to 17/18 at the moment because City stopped cooperating with the PL, if they manage to make the charges stick then there shouldn't be anything stopping the PL from forcing City to hand over the documentation for later seasons and hitting them again.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Think the whole credibility of the league is at stake here.

Agree. But, Boehly's takeover group alerted both the PL and HMRC to financial irregularities and a web of dodgey stuff under Abramovich. Boehly wanted to ensure he had a clean slate and was allowed to 'claim back' about £150m of his purchase price for the club over this.

So there's clear and fundemental evidence that chelsea financially cheated during that period of ownership. What have the PL done about it? Fuck all because Boehly and his group got rid of the Russian ganster for them.

If this all goes the premier leagues way what you really want is for clubs to start bringing their own cases against City and just trying to bleed them dry.

Leicester finished 5th in 19/20 and 20/21 playing 'fair' I'm sure they'd quite like the lost CL revenue for those two seasons.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

If this all goes the premier leagues way what you really want is for clubs to start bringing their own cases against City and just trying to bleed them dry.

Leicester finished 5th in 19/20 and 20/21 playing 'fair' I'm sure they'd quite like the lost CL revenue for those two seasons.

That's not going to work, is it? Imagine the outcry on here if we spent £100m trying to prove city cheated instead of spending that on players. Outside of us, united, arsenal, spurs, who else of the PL clubs are going to benefit or be better off if city are sanctioned?

I reckon this’ll will be taken seriously. 

If it wasn’t going to be, would charges have been made? I don’t know. A genuine question. If the Premier League were happy to just issue a fine, do the rules permit them to do a deal with City and announce that at the time of the breach announcement too? Can anything be read into something like this not being done and the further break down in co-operation between the PL and City. 

Plus, it’s 100 plus charges over close to a decade. With more to possibly follow. I’m not sure that the PL can maintain their own integrity and the integrity of their competition by just dishing out a financial sanction. 

Also, would the Premier League want to be seen to be less arsed about corrupt practices than the infamously corrupt Serie A have been with Juventus? 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I do. 

I say that. But, rather, I mean that I want a suitable punishment to be dished out if long-term, systematic cheating is made out. And, if that punishment results in us (and even United) being awarded titles retrospectively, then so be it. 

Why should City be allowed to benefit if it’s shown that they’ve gained an unfair advantage by cheating when others have followed the rules? 

Past titles to be handed over in very unlikely event it comes to it:

Mancs 3

Us 3

1 hour ago, Lario said:

We did under Rodgers, which means Gerrard, Carragher, Suarez et al would get medals.

Sterling would too though, fuck sake.

Don't despair - he's been there for 7 years. He would have to give back all of his sports-washing medals, and he only one he would have would be his one with us!

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That's not going to work, is it? Imagine the outcry on here if we spent £100m trying to prove city cheated instead of spending that on players. Outside of us, united, arsenal, spurs, who else of the PL clubs are going to benefit or be better off if city are sanctioned?

Do them for legal costs as well

Any club who was relegated or missed out on Europe or missed going into a different European competition based on results against City, hell it's a free for all, any club who would have benefitted from a higher payment for a higher league position in any season they get sanctioned for.

Tie them up in a group compensation cases, individual compensation cases, small claims, requests for apologies, anything.

Obviously it's not going happen but if City get sanctioned then some clubs should, it wouldn't cost 100 million to chance it.

1 minute ago, House of Dirk said:

And they were so keen for an asterisk to be put next to our 19/20 title.........

The year after when they won it, grounds had no fans in them except for the last 2 weekends of the season but they say nothing about asterisks there!

Haha, city release a statement saying they are 'surprised' at the news!

• Upvote 1

Can't see them getting stripped of any titles. 

Hopefully there's a decent punishment to come though, points deductions, some regular independent financial auditing for 5 years, transfer ban, anything that gives them a massive CHEATS label is a good start. 

Manchester City FC is surprised by the issuing of these alleged breaches of the Premier League Rules, particularly given the extensive engagement and vast amount of detailed materials that the EPL has been provided with.
The Club welcomes the review of this matter by an independent Commission, to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence that exists in support of its position.
As such we look forward to this matter being put to rest once and for all.

p02bl5c1.jpg

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Do them for legal costs as well

Any club who was relegated or missed out on Europe or missed going into a different European competition based on results against City, hell it's a free for all, any club who would have benefitted from a higher payment for a higher league position in any season they get sanctioned for.

Tie them up in a group compensation cases, individual compensation cases, small claims, requests for apologies, anything.

Obviously it's not going happen but if City get sanctioned then some clubs should, it wouldn't cost 100 million to chance it.

I agree that this is what should happen. The reason I don't think it will is because Burnley should have done that to Everton last season but didn't. There must be something preventing clubs from doing it.