You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

As others have said, Ren was injured when he took on Finn & Rey. Finn also showed himself reasonably adapt at weilding the light sabre when he fought that Storm Trooper at Maz's bar. Apart from, what seemed to be a bit of a lucky shot, Ren was more or less toying with Finn and had the beating of him from the start.

Rey also proved herself adapt and using the lightsabre when she beat up those 2 guys trying to take BB8 from her on Jakku with her staff.

The seeds were planted early in the film that Finn & Rey could handle themeselves, especially if Ren was injured.

I think the whole point of Ren removing his mask was to make him seem more human, so his facial expressions could show his turmoil between the dark and light sides. Vadar keeping his mask on in the originals made him more chilling, however, when they wanted to show is was human at the end of ROTJ, they took his mask off. It'll be interesting to see where the mask goes next - if they want to make him more chilling (and especially now his disfigured and injured) he'll keep it on more, but if he's still unable to fully commit to the dark side, there's a chance he'll be keeping it off again.

It just feels to me like they've worked backwards from an ending they wanted, and they've had to sign post everything by planting those seeds to get it even close to working, and for me it just doesn't.

"Ren's got this really cool lightsaber, we need to have a fight scene at the end with it, its what everyone will want"

"But Luke's not in it til the last scene and there aren't any other jedis, who's he gonna fight?"

"Obviusly he's gotta fight Rey, she's the main character and she is force sensitive"

"Wouldn't he just kill her though, she's had no training after all?"

"Well, he'll have to fight 2 people then. It will also let us chuck a red herring in the trailers by showing the person with the lightsaber who isn't force sesitive. Lets use Finn"

"But Ren's badass, and neither of them know how to use a lightsaber, they wouldn't stand a chance"

"We can show that the two of them know how to handle sword like weapons earlier in the film"

"But Finn says he worked in sanitation..."

"I AM NOT TAKING THAT JOKE OUT OF THE FILM!"

"Ok ok, but Ren killed a load of trainee jedis who would have been much more competent than these two, he'd still kill them"

"We'll have to even it up a little more then, maybe Ren can be injured, he can be shot be Chewie's Bowcaster, it's really powerful"

"Will people remember how powerful it is though?"

"Well, we'll  show him using it couple of times and make it obvious how powerful it is, we can have people flying through the air A-Team style. We could even get Han to use it, it'll make for a good joke"

"How will the audience know that he is injured?"

"He can limp a bit. Maybe he can punch his wound a few times as well, it might fuel his darkside or something"

"One more thing JJ, where does the other lightsaber come from?"

"I'll think of something..."

I know they want to keep the fans happy, but perhaps it would have been better to have not had a lightsaber fight at all.

• Upvote 2

Ren has to die though, there's no coming back from what he did in the audience's view I reckon. 

Unless he is working undercover in a plan hatched by Luke, and he needs to kill Han to get close enough to Snoke, and is why he says thank you to Han when he kills him, and would explain why he lets BB-8 go and does not kill Rey (although he would still kill Finn, obvs).

no idea why they sent Rey to make contact with Luke. 

Because the lightsaber called out to her

Another theory for you...

Is Supreme Leader Snoke Actually Darth Vader?

snoke-vader-165165.jpg

In a twist that would blindside many, is it possible that the “big bad” of Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens is in fact a villain that we’re quite familiar with at this point? A rumor has been rumbling that the ominously massive Supreme Leader Snoke, the puppet master of both Kylo Ren and the First Order, may in fact be none other than the first Sith audiences came to know, Darth Vader! While there have been a number of rumors ranging from Snoke being Darth Plagueis, master of the Darth Sidious, aka Emperor Palpatine, could it be possible that Snoke is a revived Anakin Skywalker, returning from the grave to try once again to “bring balance to the Force”? Snoke is still one of the biggest mysteries surrounding The Force Awakens, but some new evidence has come to light perhaps pointing in the direction of him being the father of Luke and Leia Skywalker, and mentor to the Dark Side tempted Ben Solo.

The biggest piece of evidence we are witness to are the scars on Supreme Leader Snoke’s head and face, pointed out to us by fan Joey Garza. Snoke is humanoid, albeit a completely computer generated creation for the film, but seemingly has scars and wounds that are almost identical to the ones that Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker had underneath his mask and helmet, revealed during the finale of Return of the Jedi. Obviously, we know how Anakin received his scars, but we have no clue as to what happened with Snoke. Their placement and appearance is downright shockingly identical to the ones found on Vader, and it certainly is the biggest hint that Snoke could in fact be Vader back from the dead.

While Snoke and Vader’s scars are similar, it could also be a method used by Snoke in order to have gotten closer to Ben Solo, eventually turning him into the monster that is Kylo Ren. Rather than actually being Vader, Snoke could have modeled his appearance after Vader’s to play on the young, inexperienced force wielder’s admiration for Anakin Skywalker, playing him right into the leader of the First Order’s hands. Still, death is something that can be overcome in the Star Wars universe, so Darth Vader could potentially have come back, leading a new empire to finish what Palpatine had started in the original trilogy. The Plagueis story in the prequels leads credence to Vader returning from the grave, though his mannerisms and voice are apparently far different. This is however 30 years after the original trilogy, and Vader was looking quite worse for wear when all was said and done then, imagine how he’d look now and you might think of a figure close to Supreme Leader Snoke.

Kylo Ren’s devotion to both Darth Vader and Supreme Leader Snoke would also lead to the idea that they were one in the same, as well as their positions in the universe and power. During all the events of the original trilogy, there was never even a hint that there was some older Sith who was biding his time, so the idea that Snoke is an already existing character isn’t a fantastical one to be sure. If Vader would be any existing character, outside of say Darth Plagueis, a resurrected Darth Vader may be at the top of the list.

He's such a massive bellend. Too many people around him who won't tell him what a total helmet he is.

After the first screening of the phantom menace he said he was concerned that audiences wouldn't understand the depth of it. Just an unreal lack of self awareness.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I refer you to the right honourable gentlemans post of 2nd January.

Watched it myself again last night, still thoroughly enjoyed it and my views about its flaws still haven't changed really.

Plot holes wise, still don't know why R2 just suddenly decided to wake up, bit of a deus ex machina that one, likewise, no idea why they sent Rey to make contact with Luke.

Hux is majorly crap, reminds me of a Nazi from an ITV2 TV movie.

Also, my mate pointed this out and I actually think it's true, for all the talk of racist reaction to Fin, the producers have actually done their level best to make him a parody black character. Bearing in mind he's essentially been bred to be a solider since birth, he's essentially a wetter version of Will Smith in Independence Day, 'welcome to the resistance Jerkweed, I've seen sh*t that'd turn you white!'

Like in the Star Trek films too, there are some 'nods' to the original Star Wars which seem more designed to get laughs rather than genuine appreciative nods. When McCoy says things like 'I'm a doctor not a ham sandwich' and people snigger, there were a couple of incidents in this film which were the same, neither of which I can remember off the top of my head.

Also agree that Ren is a bit of a wanker. Just a brat really, I'm not a bully but I would probably bully him if he was in my school, the spotty bastard.

Really good film though, felt more like a Serenity film though tham Star Wars if I'm honest - but still top notch none the less.

Surely Rey has gone to Luke to train as a Jedi.

If anyone can clarify why Sky are advertising to book it in on Sky films now, that would be greatly appreciated as its months of being shown on there, isn't it? 

They'll obviously have an idea when the DVD is coming out. They did the same with Spectre & thats coming out on 22/2, which is a pretty quick turnaround.

Depends how long it's in the cinema for, but it's not showing much sign of slowing down.

J.J. Abrams Addresses ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Similarities to ‘A New Hope’

Friday, January 8th, 2016 at 4:20pm PST  - by Meagan Damore
  •  
  •  
  •  

story-force-570x297.jpg

Now that “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” has been in theaters for about three weeks, some critics have pointed out the film’s strong parallels to 1977’s original “Star Wars” film. During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, director J.J. Abrams addressed the concern that “The Force Awakens” relied a little too heavily on “A New Hope” and explained not only the universality of those conventions, but also how they benefited the franchise’s newest characters.

“It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards, in some ways, to go forwards in the important ways, given that… ‘Star Wars’ is a kind of specific gorgeousconcoction of George [Lucas]’s that combines all sorts of things,” Abrams explained. “Ultimately, the structure of ‘Star Wars’ itself is as classic and tried and true as you can get. It was itself derivative of all of these things that George loved so much, from the most obvious, ‘Flash Gordon’ and Joseph Campbell, to the [Akira] Kurosawa references, to Westerns — I mean, all of these elements were part of what made ‘Star Wars.'”

“I can understand that someone might say, ‘Oh, it’s a complete rip-off!’ We inherited ‘Star Wars.’ The story of history repeating itself was, I believe, an obvious and intentional thing, and the structure of meeting a character who comes from a nowhere desert and discovers that she has a power within her, where the bad guys have a weapon that is destructive but that ends up being destroyed — those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in ‘Star Wars,'” he continued.

“What was important for me was introducing brand new characters using relationships that were embracing the history that we know to tell a story that is new — to go backwards to go forwards,” he shared. “So I understand that this movie, I would argue much more than the ones that follow, needed to take a couple of steps backwards into very familiar terrain, and using a structure of nobodies becoming somebodies defeating the baddies — which is, again, I would argue, not a brand new concept, admittedly — but use that to do, I think, a far more important thing, which is introduce this young woman, who’s a character we’ve not seen before and who has a story we have not seen before, meeting the first Storm Trooper we’ve ever seen who we get to know as a human being; to see the two of them have an adventure in a way that no one has had yet, with Han Solo; to see those characters go to find someone who is a brand new character who, yes, may be diminutive, but is as far from Yoda as I think a description of a character can get, who gets to enlighten almost the way a wonderful older teacher or grandparent or great-aunt might, you know, something that is confirming a kind of belief system that is rejected by the main character; and to tell a story of being a parent and being a child and the struggles that that entails — clearly ‘Star Wars’ has always been a familial story, but never in the way that we’ve told here.”

“And yes, they destroy a weapon at the end of this movie, but then something else happens which is, I think, far more critical and far more important — and I think even in that moment, when that is happening, the thing I think the audience is focused on and cares more about is not, ‘Is that big planet gonna blow up?’ — ’cause we all know it’s gonna blow up. What you really care about is what’s gonna happen in the forest between these two characters who are now alone,” he added.

‘Is that big planet gonna blow up?’ — ’cause we all know it’s gonna blow up. What you really care about is what’s gonna happen in the forest between these two characters who are now alone,” he added.

That definitely showed.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Disney and Lucasfilm announced that Star Wars: Episode VIII, originally scheduled for release in summer 2017, will now debut on December 15, 2017.

The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first Star Wars movie to premiere outside the traditional summer blockbuster window and smashed numerous records, including biggest domestic and global debuts of all time as well as the biggest domestic second and third weekends, en route to becoming the highest grossing domestic release of all time with over $861.3 million and the third biggest global release ever with $1.886.7 billion.

Written and directed by Rian Johnson, Star Wars: Episode VIII is currently in preproduction and will begin principal photography in London next month. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman will produce and J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski will executive produce. Stay tuned for exciting updates in the coming weeks.

• 5 weeks later...