You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I know: Han, Luke, Ben...

Haha. Fair enough, but we also had Anakin, Palpatine/Sidious and so on.  Interesting names.

I enjoyed the movie on first viewing (I've seen if four times)  but I know that I won't be watching it as much as the others (including the prequels) as it's not as interesting.  I watch Star Wars to discover new worlds, see new ships/vehicles, watch new heroes in action with new skills and weapons, new villains   Episode VII is old, old, old.  A sandy planet, a snowy planet, a greeny planet and a space thingy with eerily familiar corridors.

It pushed every nostalgia button in my bones but after that there's not much left.

I don't want to labour the points, though, because ultimately I admit I enjoyed watching it (especially the first viewing) and I can see why people who hated the prequels loved this one.

I think the next movie will be better but if it starts off with an AT-AT scene on Hoth I'll want my money back.   

• Upvote 1

After failing to call Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber to his hand, Ren turns to Rey — who is now holding the blue lightsaber — and he declares, “It IS you,” and then the fight begins.

Interesting.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

After failing to call Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber to his hand, Ren turns to Rey — who is now holding the blue lightsaber — and he declares, “It IS you,” and then the fight begins.

Interesting.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Interesting indeed, but it would have been so easy to have that one line in the film too.

When Ren goes nuts at the academy at about 16, he can't bring himself to kill his 4 year old sister and secretly dumps her on a distant planet instead - hoping that Snoke won't find out. Hence his little speech to Vader's helmet about still having light in him and added significance in his journey towards the dark side by killing a member of his family. Han and Leia think he killed her so don't believe that they have a daughter.

There's some other interesting nuggets in there. One that Rey had a block imposed in her mind to stop her using the force and Ren unwittingly removed it when he tried to read her mind, another was that the star system destroyed was the New Republic, and that most planets are still non-alligned, that makes a really interesting setup for the next film I reckon. 

There's some other interesting nuggets in there. One that Rey had a block imposed in her mind to stop her using the force and Ren unwittingly removed it when he tried to read her mind, another was that the star system destroyed was the New Republic, and that most planets are still non-alligned, that makes a really interesting setup for the next film I reckon.

I feel like that woman on the Fast Show where she'd say something, get ignored and the blokes would then say it themselves a minute later. I've been having a one way conversation with you on here.
  • Upvote 2

I feel like that woman on the Fast Show where she'd say something, get ignored and the blokes would then say it themselves a minute later. I've been having a one way conversation with you on here.

Haha! Sorry pal, I did read what you said and it was an interesting bit of speculation, but this would seem to confirm that that's the state of the galaxy. 

He will have more of the dark side in him I reckon.

Listened to an interesting theory on the Making Star Wars podcast last night (which is worth checking out btw) in that he maybe wanted to go into hiding as if he killed Kylo Ren almost in revenge for killing all his students then he would have maybe turned to the dark side, hence why he fucked everything off and went into hiding. Now he's being dragged back into it all.

Although Han mentioned to Rey and Finn he disappeared as he felt responsible for Kylo turning but I think that was before it was revealed Kylo is his nephew.

It went a bit into depth and this post won't do it justice but it was an interesting theory and one I hadn't heard before which did make some sense.

He will have more of the dark side in him I reckon. Listened to an interesting theory on the Making Star Wars podcast last night (which is worth checking out btw) in that he maybe wanted to go into hiding as if he killed Kylo Ren almost in revenge for killing all his students then he would have maybe turned to the dark side, hence why he fucked everything off and went into hiding. Now he's being dragged back into it all. Although Han mentioned to Rey and Finn he disappeared as he felt responsible for Kylo turning but I think that was before it was revealed Kylo is his nephew. It went a bit into depth and this post won't do it justice but it was an interesting theory and one I hadn't heard before which did make some sense.

I  honestly think the next film will open with him going apeshit or shooting lightning bolts at Rey or something, I reckon he's lost the plot big time. It's a big part of Star Wars expanded universe lore that Luke always walked that tightrope. 

4624598-2957372995-tumbl.gif

I honestly think the next film will open with him going apeshit or shooting lightning bolts at Rey or something, I reckon he's lost the plot big time. It's a big part of Star Wars expanded universe lore that Luke always walked that tightrope.

4624598-2957372995-tumbl.gif

Exactly, he's too temped by it and not to mention hacking down his dad in anger towards the end, before rejecting the Dark Side right at the end.

He's not going to be the Luke we remember, that's for sure.

fcbaad0c160714ab13fe1ea3f5fa9afb.jpg

I went again last night, it was still ace.

On the points I picked up on last time...

• I enjoyed the scene with the Scottish Bounty Hunter, those guys from The Raid and Han Solo better this time....

I think the problem with this, and part of the film, is actually Han Solo. I don't see him as a lovable rogue anymore, I see him a bit as the miserable sod that Harrison Ford has become. Ford definitley tries his best to ham it up, but I think he's just too old and long in the tooth to play that character anymore. I think it was the right decision to kill him off

• Starkiller Bases still feels like an after thought. You don't get any of the sense of danger you did when the Death Star blew up Alderon or was prepring to fire on the Rebel Bases in the originals.
  • Phasma is still rubbish. I hope she seriously redeems herself in the sequels.
  • I thought Snoke was better 2nd time round.
  • As Section has said, Hux did look like he had a perminant butt plug in throughout.

I had quite a few thoughts about other bits of the film while watching it but which I'vse since forgot. I found Finn a bit annoying this time round, the way Rey pronnounced and ended words made me think of Kiera Knightly, I'd greatly like to dry bum Rey, and Oscar Isaac is one handsome bastard.

I thought of this thread & laughed when Rey is first talking to BB8, she asks him where he's from, he says he's classified and she goes 'Classified huh? Me too, it's a big secret!'.

For me, despite not being full trained, and despite being injured, Kylo Ren not being able to kill an only recently trained Stormtrooper who does not have the force shows him to be rather weak, not scary, and relatively easy to beat, so it doesn't seem to fit the character and to me does not seem believable.

As others have said, Ren was injured when he took on Finn & Rey. Finn also showed himself reasonably adapt at weilding the light sabre when he fought that Storm Trooper at Maz's bar. Apart from, what seemed to be a bit of a lucky shot, Ren was more or less toying with Finn and had the beating of him from the start.

Rey also proved herself adapt and using the lightsabre when she beat up those 2 guys trying to take BB8 from her on Jakku with her staff.

The seeds were planted early in the film that Finn & Rey could handle themeselves, especially if Ren was injured.

I think the whole point of Ren removing his mask was to make him seem more human, so his facial expressions could show his turmoil between the dark and light sides. Vadar keeping his mask on in the originals made him more chilling, however, when they wanted to show is was human at the end of ROTJ, they took his mask off. It'll be interesting to see where the mask goes next - if they want to make him more chilling (and especially now his disfigured and injured) he'll keep it on more, but if he's still unable to fully commit to the dark side, there's a chance he'll be keeping it off again.

Watched it myself again last night, still thoroughly enjoyed it and my views about its flaws still haven't changed really. 

Plot holes wise, still don't know why R2 just suddenly decided to wake up, bit of a deus ex machina that one, likewise, no idea why they sent Rey to make contact with Luke. 

Hux is majorly crap, reminds me of a Nazi from an ITV2 TV movie. 

Also, my mate pointed this out and I actually think it's true, for all the talk of racist reaction to Fin, the producers have actually done their level best to make him a parody black character. Bearing in mind he's essentially been bred to be a solider since birth, he's essentially a wetter version of Will Smith in Independence Day, 'welcome to the resistance Jerkweed, I've seen sh*t that'd turn you white!' 

Like in the Star Trek films too, there are some 'nods' to the original Star Wars which seem more designed to get laughs rather than genuine appreciative nods. When McCoy says things like 'I'm a doctor not a ham sandwich' and people snigger, there were a couple of incidents in this film which were the same, neither of which I can remember off the top of my head. 

Also agree that Ren is a bit of a wanker. Just a brat really, I'm not a bully but I would probably bully him if he was in my school, the spotty bastard.

Really good film though, felt more like a Serenity film though tham Star Wars if I'm honest - but still top notch none the less.