You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

Just occurred to me last night, but...

Why has Luke got a metal hand? I know he got it cut off, but it got replaced with a metal hand with 'skin' on.

If this is a new thing, then the 'flashback' when she touched the light saber, could actually be a 'flashforward', because it shows Luke with his metal hand on R2D2's head.

Spy Bee, on 04 Jan 2016 - 3:13 PM, said:

Just occurred to me last night, but...

Why has Luke got a metal hand? I know he got it cut off, but it got replaced with a metal hand with 'skin' on.

If this is a new thing, then the 'flashback' when she touched the light saber, could actually be a 'flashforward', because it shows Luke with his metal hand on R2D2's head.

He has perhaps worn out his skin by masterbating alone on an Island, I reckon. Seems the obvious answer.

• Upvote 3

How many chokeholds, mid-fight, did Vader manage? None as far as I can recall. There needs to be unbroken concentration to force choke someone, not really going to happen when you've been shot, killed your father and are on a planet about to go pop.

Just an example, he could have used any telekinetic ability to either kill him, disable him, disarm him, whatever, he just would not have needed to fight him with a lightsaber, and even if he did, he would have just killed him with it straight off because he's trained with it and Finn has not.

Oh no, you've gone and done it. Don't point plot errors out. It's meant to be a fun film where nothing makes sense, apparently.

I mean, I really enjoyed the film, and there are a few other issues which I'm not really bothered with, but not having a believable bad guy is quite a big problem for me.

The newer Stormtroopers appear to be a bit more well versed in fighting against the Jedi as they were all carrying that weapon that could duel with a lightsaber. But still, to use his telekinetic powers he would have had to have been focused and in the context of what was happening and Kylo not being fully trained it isnt a massive plot hole that he'd rather fight than use his other powers.

skend04, on 04 Jan 2016 - 3:58 PM, said:

The newer Stormtroopers appear to be a bit more well versed in fighting against the Jedi as they were all carrying that weapon that could duel with a lightsaber. But still, to use his telekinetic powers he would have had to have been focused and in the context of what was happening and Kylo not being fully trained it isnt a massive plot hole that he'd rather fight than use his other powers.

See I don't get this Kylo not being fully trained business. He can hold lazer bolts still for minutes, can force choke, made his own lightsabre, and can sense (sometimes) when he's father is near. So he's more than or at least as capable as Luke was by the time Luke had faced Vader.

Having now seen it twice I enjoyed the film, more so the 2nd time round. But it could have been so much better with a little bit more thought gone into it. It's not like Disney didn't have the resources to throw at it.

I'm pretty sure both Luke and Vader have used Telekenisis in a fight situation without much though, but like I said, Telekenisis or not, he would have killed him with the light saber easily. Imagine fighting a Kendo master with no training, you'd get battered

The main reason Vader and Ren didn't just freeze people or force rupture their brains is mainly because it would make for poor cinematic drama.

Becoming like a Star Trek forum on here lately, I like it, I like it a lot.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

The main reason Vader and Ren didn't just freeze people or force rupture their brains is mainly because it would make for poor cinematic drama.

Becoming like a Star Trek forum on here lately, I like it, I like it a lot.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

That too.

I mean, I really enjoyed the film, and there are a few other issues which I'm not really bothered with, but not having a believable bad guy is quite a big problem for me.

Isn't the point that he isn't a fully developed bad guy?

Kylo Ren isn't Darth Vader from a New Hope he's Anakin from Revenge of the Sith and 'natural' ability aside he's about as powerful or trained as he needs to be in a galaxy devoid of jedi or Sith.

The minute Rey's powers develop and the prospect of Luke returning becomes a reality snokes first response is to get him back and into training.

• Upvote 2

Isn't the point that he isn't a fully developed bad guy?

Kylo Ren isn't Darth Vader from a New Hope he's Anakin from Revenge of the Sith and 'natural' ability aside he's about as powerful or trained as he needs to be in a galaxy devoid of jedi or Sith.

The minute Rey's powers develop and the prospect of Luke returning becomes a reality snokes first response is to get him back and into training.

I've never seen Revenge of the Sith, so can't compare them, but I disagree, and whilst I understand that he's not a fully developed bad guy, I still think he should be badder, and I don't think the casting was right and I don't what we saw of him at the end matched what we saw and heard about him earlier in the film (Stopping the blaster shot in its tracks and killing the trainee jedis, which I presume, perhaps wrongly, included some sort of fight against Luke). 

In my opinion, the main things that made Star Wars so popular were Darth Vader and Han Solo, the badest dude in the universe that scared the shit out of you and seemed indestructable, and the coolest dude in the universe who you wanted to be, and the whole point of the prequals was to find out how the badest dude in the universe bacame so bad.

For me, despite not being full trained, and despite being injured, Kylo Ren not being able to kill an only recently trained Stormtrooper who does not have the force shows him to be rather weak, not scary, and relatively easy to beat, so it doesn't seem to fit the character and to me does not seem believable.

The only real lightsabre training that Luke gets is about half an hour's work with Kenobi's floating balls and he does OK against Vader (admittedly he does get battered and lose an appendage).

Vader was clearly toying with Luke in Empire Strikes Back. He wanted to freeze him in carbonite and bring him back to the Emperor so he could be turned to the Dark Side. He only got serious when Luke managed to graze his shoulder and then he cut his hand off within 10 seconds of taking the fight seriously.

I went to see it again last night, it's still boss and still makes me feel like an awe-struck child.

Saw it yesterday and quite enjoyed but thinking about it today it's just not very good

The plot has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese and the acting was wooden especially the pilot guy

I liked the nods back to the original films and the x wing fighters scenes were ace...they should have had a lot more space fights

Great for kids but shite for fully functioning adults

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2