You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Plenty of wags on Twitter likening Twitch's knee to Basil Fawlty's shrapnel wound.

As Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey are in temporary charge, this means surely now the return of the Bantersaurus Rex and regular Timalimadingdongs.

The Times are going with this:

Come on! - Can't wait. Stripey body-warmers all round.

Tim Sherwood is the early front-runner to succeed Harry Redknapp as QPR manager.

The former Tottenham Hotspur manager has been linked with Crystal Palace and West Bromwich Albion since leaving White Hart Lane last spring and is quoted at odds between 1-14 (Bet Victor) and 1-3 (Ladbrokes) to seize this opportunity to return to the managerial fold. Ladbrokes’ initial offer of evens was quicky withdrawn.

Sherwood has close ties with Les Ferdinand, head of football operations at Loftus Road, having employed him to assist with first-team duties during his tenure as manager of Spurs."

Some sort of weekend of footy coming up: 

7:30pm- Melbourne derby

10:45pm- North London derby

2:00am- Madrid derby

4:15am- Merseyside derby

So the odds of managing all that after a full day's cricket in 35 degrees, followed immediately by a friend's engagement party and the drinking that goes with it? I much prefer watching Liverpool games live, especially a fucking derby game, but then I don't want spoilers from the twat commentators. 

First world problems, eh? One thing I do know is that most of Sunday will be spent sleeping. 

• Upvote 1

I seriously don't understand the reasoning for wanting Klopp at the moment. His team are bottom of Bundesliga for Christ sake.

We're talking about a champions league finalist and league winner, who'd be ashamed to put a play off win on his CV.

We've only got a chance of getting him cause of whatever the fuck is happening right now at Dortmund.  

We're talking about a champions league finalist and league winner, who'd be ashamed to put a play off win on his CV.

We've only got a chance of getting him cause of whatever the fuck is happening right now at Dortmund.

Who's to say it won't happen here. No matter what is happening behind the scenes should affect a team that much. Struggling mid table perhaps but not bottom.

Looking grim for klopp and dortmund. He said they'd come back stronger after the winter break but they're carrying on as before.

Looks like a combination of him losing the nack of motivating the players and the players losing belief in him may be terminal.

Yes, he's won stuff but the chips are down now. He has to show he can get them playing and believing again. I think he'll do it but its going to be a tough job from where they are now.

At this rate, I don't think that's what he'll be worried about putting on his CV. 

Dortmund could find themselves in a real pickle, other clubs such as Wolfsburg are getting stronger and if Dortmund drop out of the CL which seems likely and lose their better players they might face a few years of mediocrity again

I don't watch a lot of German football, so I'd be interested to know if he's attempted a change of system at all? 

Don't think he has, to be honest.  Tried a few different players here and there but it's still the pressing game from them all the time.

To be fair to him, the stats guys say it's a really long shot that they're down there.  Apparently if you go by chances created and how many goals you'd expect they'd be fourth in the Bundesliga.  Not that that helps them when they're bottom, but they can probably take some comfort in the fact that it's been bad luck as much as anything that has them there.

Seems interesting to me to see what happened and found a few stats:

Taken from ESPN:

This season, Dortmund have been the very model of that "losing" team. They have attempted 288 non-penalty shots and conceded just 158. The only other two clubs in the Bundesliga with 100 more shots attempted than conceded: third-place Leverkusen and league leaders Bayern Munich. Not all shots are equally valuable, of course, but BVB's numbers still look good under closer analysis.

Of BVB's shots, 109 have been attempted from the "danger zone," the region in the center of the 18-yard box from which most goals are scored. This total is third most in the Bundesliga, behind only Bayern and Wolfsburg. But Bayern have scored 41 goals and Wolfsburg 33, compared to just 16 for Dortmund. Again and again, Klopp's side has created a better set of shooting opportunities than their opponents and come away without any points to show for it.

Since that article was written they played two more games without scoring one against 10 men for a fair whack, getting 1 point from 6.

I think the only stats that matter at the moment, are they are bottom and all confidence has been lost.

I rate Klopp very highly and would have him here but he is the manager.

I don't know enough about German football,  Bayern aside, there is much more equality than in England between clubs.

One commentator said that might actually make it more tougher for them, as they won't come up against a QPR or Leicester.  So tough times ahead for them, Juventus will be killed by the Italian media if they fail to get pass them in the Champions League. Tempted to put a bet on Dortmund to get through.

Scenes in the AFCON semi final between hosts Equatorial Guinea and Ghana.

The ref has had to stop the game with about 10 minutes to go with Ghana leading 3-0. The EG fans started throwing plastic bottles at the Ghana fans at that end of the stadium, so the Ghana fans walked out of the stand and down behind the goal, where they've continued to get bottled, even now around 10-15 minutes after the game was stopped. Apparently, a large group of EG fans have left the stadium but have gathered outside waiting to ambush the Ghana fans when they leave. The game has been abandoned and Ghana have been awarded the game.

You see how backwards some of these countries are in many ways, not least in terms of civil order, and you wonder just how much trouble is still in store as a result. But on the flip side, the African Federation is also run by a gang of cunts who could just as easily decide this was all Ghana's fault and punish them instead.