You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

Apart from his initial point being correct.

That the Greens have more members than the Lib Dems.

Which you responded to by questioning his figures being up to date.

Your chronology is a little off there.

He cited some out of date membership figures. In response to that I provided more up to date figures.

I never once questioned his claim that the Greens have more members (albeit a combined total of the separate Green parties). Rather I was questioning his claim that a 30% rise in members after our worst election result in a generation held no significance.

The statement about shitting all over the thread refers to the repeated feeble attempts to provoke me.

Guest Pistonbroke

Membership frequently rises after a General election, it is the people showing their disapproval of the elected Government, especially a fucking Tory one.

The Lib Dems are fucked for the foreseeable.  

There are elections all the time. Just last night we gained a council seat in Wrexham from Labour and one in Sussex from the Tories.

I'm not talking about local councils i'm talking about MP's, you have 8 seats in the house of commons, stop being deliberately obtuse. 

I'm not being obtuse. I'm addressing your ludicrous point. What's the point in 15,000 new members? Fuck, I don't know, what's the point in anything at all? Are you only a Springsteen fan in the years he releases a new album?

Good point. What is your point again?

I'm not being obtuse. I'm addressing your ludicrous point. What's the point in 15,000 new members? Fuck, I don't know, what's the point in anything at all? Are you only a Springsteen fan in the years he releases a new album?

Good point. What is your point again?

To be fair, the post you were initially responding to said it was not a significant shift TO the Lib Dems, as an even larger number had signed up to Labour. Which is true, it's not likely new support. In both cases, it's likely to be people voting for the party in the election and fucked off with the result, same as with the new Labour members. Not meaningful in itself, unless the party can hang onto them through an election cycle and actually get them involved in five years when the memory of why they signed up in the first place is a distant one. That tends to be difficult-to-impossible.

Labour didn't just lose 85% of their MPs and two thirds of their voters, which I think is the context absent from the discussion. It's true that membership has been growing steadily since 2012 after falling off a cliff in the first two years of coalition, but I don't know anyone in the party who was expecting this kind of explosion in numbers.

Yes, I agree that retaining these new members in the future will be more of a challenge. My impression concurs with yours, that they are people pissed off with the result. In many cases, people who have been liberals for years, but didn't see the need to join a liberal party. Clearly they perceive a need where they did not before. Similar to me only joining Liberty in May, even though I had supported their work for years. The need seems so much greater now.

Sorry, just caught up with this.

This is BRILLIANT.  Sorry, Stronts.

The man you must now trust in to bring back your party from the brink is a COMMITTED CHRISTIAN?

Hahaha - how on earth are you going to square this, mate!?

The most outspoken anti-Christian on this forum.  The most outspoken advocate of the Lib Dems on this forum.

Sleepless nights await...

• Upvote 3

Sorry, just caught up with this.

This is BRILLIANT. Sorry, Stronts.

The man you must now trust in to bring back your party from the brink is a COMMITTED CHRISTIAN?

Hahaha - how on earth are you going to square this, mate!?

The most outspoken anti-Christian on this forum. The most outspoken advocate of the Lib Dems on this forum.

Sleepless nights await...

The method of denial.

Hes tryna type but the internal conflict is combusting his abilities, will he contort the way of his leader to fit around his atheism?

He may have to agree with my point in following a leader you lose yourself and your beliefs must fall by the wayside or fit around it as you follow your messiah, whether it be hitler, milliband, or nick clegg, likewise any group you become a part of you lose touch seeing and feeling with the eyes and hands of propaganda.