You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Coen Brothers Film?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Best Coen Brothers Film?

• Blood Simple
    • Raising Arizona
    • Miller's Crossing
    • Barton Fink
    • The Hudsucker Proxy
    • Fargo
    • The Big Lebowski
    • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    • The Man Who Wasn't There
    • Intolerable Cruelty
    • The Ladykillers
    • No Country For Old Men
    • Burn After Reading
    • A Serious Man
    • True Grit

Same here. Got a different order, though.

1. The Big Lebowski

2. Fargo

3. Burn After Reading

4. No Country For Old Men

I enjoyed them all.

In a way I think The Big Lebowksi is a bit over rated, it's a very cool film, I just didn't find it that funny. I probably laughed more at Burn After Reading.

Surprised to see No Country for Old Men bottom of your list, how do you rate it?

I enjoyed them all.

In a way I think The Big Lebowksi is a bit over rated, it's a very cool film, I just didn't find it that funny. I probably laughed more at Burn After Reading.

Surprised to see No Country for Old Men bottom of your list, how do you rate it?

I really enjoyed No Country For Old Men, but I think I prefer the other films because of the slowness of NCFOM. It's really well made and the build-up is great as Bardem and Brolin play their roles really well, but I thought Jones' parts were a bit boring as well.

I probably rate TBL so highly because of the cultfilm status and whenever me and friends go bowling-it's become of a bit of a tradition thanks to the movie- we use the names that appear in the film.

I agree Burn After Reading's a bit underrated as it's probably funnier than TBL, but it can't top Fargo for me.

Haven't seen the recent ones so may not have seen their best film as yet. If nothing else the poll reminds me of some movies I really need to see

Miller's Crossing is my favorite of the ones I've seen. Great cast, script and music. The Tommy Gun scene to Danny Boy is a superb set piece. Probably didn't help the fact it was released the same year as Goodfellas but has held up just as well. Surprised Gabriel Byrne didn't become a bigger star on the back of this. Between this and The Usual Suspects he had major roles in two of the better films of the nineties.

• 2 years later...

There's something really fucked up with this poll. When you click on View there are 17 voters for "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", but it's only showing four. Thirteen for "The Big Lebowski", but it's showing 17. Apparently only Tony Manero voted for Fargo, which I don't even believe, but it's showing 16.

I was going to watch No County For Old Men and Burn After Reading, as I've heard good things about them, but now I know that they're Coen Brothers movies I'll steer clear.   My god they're awful.  Ooh look, everything's all a little bit surreal and wacky.  Yeah, in every fucking film!  Honestly, if I ever meet someone who carries on like the Dude in real life I'm gonna ram a size 12 (I don't know much about bowling) bowling ball up their rectum.  "Hey, hey, this is a private residence!".  Oh look!  He's objecting to burglars/psychopaths in that oh so funny passive aggressive manner of his, how endearing and unique.

Bollocks to the Coen Brothers and their everything-is-a-bit-surreal-look-how-beautifully-shot our movies are shtick.  Student faced twats.  Oh, and the soundtracks are double shit.

• Upvote 1

Just saw this. Great thread. I watched True Grit on the telly last night so that's the way I voted. It could easily have been for Fargo, No Country for Old Men, or O Brother Where Art Thou? I thought all four of these were excellent. 

This thread is educational for me. For some reason I've never seen "The Big Lebowski" or "Miller's Crossing" so I will watch out for them.  

Christ this is tough

Love Raising Arizona, No Country for Old Men, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Burn after Reading & True Grit....

Have A Serious Man on dvd somewhere, still yet to see it. Might have to change that this week as I've had it about a year now I remember. Thought I would hate O Brother, Where Art Thou? but it's actually really good. 

Raising Arizona it is