You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Sun 7th Apr 2024 (3:30pm)

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

We've fucked about enough against these lot this season (an several times in the last few years). A lack of cutting edge in the home game, and a chronic lack of concentration combined with plenty of complacency in the FA Cup tie last month, mean that we must get our shit together for this fixture, which has added importance if we are to remain ahead in the title race. We can't allow the likes of Rashford (who seems totally disinterested most of the time) look like Thierry Henry every time we rock up at the Theatre of Leaks. He's got such a weirdly shaped head by the way. I bet his silhouette profile looks like an American fire hydrant. They are apparently going to be without a number of defensive options for this game, so make that tell.

Last season's fixture in August 2022 was a total shitshow. It started badly when we could have been a goal down within minutes had Elanga found the net rather than the upright. The defence had been cut open repeatedly and Trent was having a wretched time of it. We were second to everything, and soon enough the Mancs found the opener when Rashford again found space down the left and squared for Sancho. He still had a bit of work to do but managed to put a defender on his arse before having all the time in the world to place a shot past Ali from 10 yards out. Virg didn't cover himself in glory with his non-attempt to even block the effort. We could have equalised in comical circumstances but the Mancs managed to scramble the ball clear after hitting their own woodwork. Into the second half, and again we let Rashford have the freedom of Old Trafford to race clear and slot past Ali. A quick VAR check to draw the lines to make Rashford onside even though he was more off than on (compare that to the gnat's chuff level of detail we are routinely subjected to), and the goal was given. We had very little fight, but managed a consolation goal when Mo reacted quickest to De Gea's save from Fabio's effort following a corner. We looked a mile away from the 2021/22 side. At the time it was suggested that we were suffering a hangover from the previous season's efforts where we fell just short in the league and in Europe. As the season wore on it became more and more clear that the midfield stalwarts' legs had gone.

Jurgen has, at the time of writing, got all the players who were available for selection against Sheffield United, plus Endo coming back. Ibou might be rested if his recovery from the assault last night needs a bit more time, in which case I'd expect Jarrel to step in. Trent and Diogo are probably ready to rejoin the first team in training for next week, so Conor should start, with Danns an option off the bench. Whoever we pick, I want us to be a lot more diligent and less open in the early stages, much more ruthless in any spells when we are clearly superior, and with absolutely none of the complacency evident in the FA Cup tie. Do the job to the level we are capable of. Maximum concentration, motivation, attitude and application from first minute to last. Three points please, although a brilliantly efficient and effective performance is more than welcome in addition. Get it done!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Oddly enough, I'm not even thinking about the context of the title race for this one: I just want to goal them to bits and send their cunt fans home miserable.

Just get these beat, Reds.

xena-xena-warrior-princess.gif

These fuckers need putting to the sword. Not literally.

Their whole game plan (well, the one Ten Hag seems to have stumbled on anyway) is based around a line of six defenders and hitting a long ball into the channels for Rashford to chase in the hope something happens. When teams sit deep and do the same to them, they get turned over. Every time. I'd rather we sat, pressed them on half way then hit quick balls for Diaz, Nunez and Salah than have us camped in their half for them to hit us.

I absolutely fucking hate Man Utd. Just get these beat Reds.

I’d look at Gomez at right back with Robbo starting this one. As well as Bradley has done he’s looked knackered for a while now, and he was shite at Old Trafford in the cup. Endo, Macca and Szoboszlai start in midfield with Curtis coming on after an hour. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I absolutely fucking hate Man Utd. Just get these beat Reds.

I’d look at Gomez at right back with Robbo starting this one. As well as Bradley has done he’s looked knackered for a while now, and he was shite at Old Trafford in the cup. Endo, Macca and Szoboszlai start in midfield with Curtis coming on after an hour. 

As long as you're not expecting Gomez to defend. He covered alot of ground against Sheffield Utd and was always involved, but defensively he was a liability. Lost his man for the chance in the first minute (which he tried to blame Diaz for) then might as well have not been there for the cross that led to the equaliser. Admittedly, I'm not his biggest fan, but he's been poor for a few games now.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

As long as you're not expecting Gomez to defend. He covered alot of ground against Sheffield Utd and was always involved, but defensively he was a liability. Lost his man for the chance in the first minute (which he tried to blame Diaz for) then might as well have not been there for the cross that led to the equaliser. Admittedly, I'm not his biggest fan, but he's been poor for a few games now.

If the mancs are gonna go with their usual smash it long into the space down the side behind us which seems to usually be on our right then whoever plays right back and or right sided centre half is gonna need to be on their guard and do their job well when needed.

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

If the mancs are gonna go with their usual smash it long into the space down the side behind us which seems to usually be on our right then whoever plays right back and or right sided centre half is gonna need to be on their guard and do their job well when needed.

I suppose that's why Klopp gave Konate the minutes against Sheffield Utd then. I'd rather he played Bradley and Robertson as well but asked them to sit a bit deeper than usual. At least to start with.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

I suppose that's why Klopp gave Konate the minutes against Sheffield Utd then. I'd rather he played Bradley and Robertson as well but asked them to sit a bit deeper than usual. At least to start with.

You think konate will play Sunday? 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

You think konate will play Sunday? 

Definitely. His pace and strength is perfect for Man Utd's 'knock it long to Rashford' strategy. Put it this way, I'd be hugely surprised if he didn't start.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I assumed we’d bury them afterwards, but hey-ho…

Ten Hag being doing some vodoo shit,  has a touch of dusk till dawn, saying that Martinez does have a touch of zombie about him and well Harry Maguire has clearly been touched by Frankenstein.

22 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I think you called it earlier - it is literally their main weapon/hope.

As much as i like to see us impose our will on games, i do feel us being less vulnerable to it would be a good idea, but obviously not at the cost of us blunting our attacking width.