You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loic Remy

WhiskeyJar

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, i'm saying he deserves his chance. He was sent out on loan to show that he could be a first team regular at Sunderland and looked a class above during that loan. The question you have to ask yourself is why are Sunderland willing to throw down £14 million of their limited budget on this kid without even batting an eyelid?

That tells me his attitude in training must of been impeccable, Gus must of thought he was a joy to work with. Brendan alluded to his discipline and his eagerness to learn when we signed him. He'll make it because of his attitude, sooner or later he'll be a 15-20 goal a season striker because he's 100% focused on his football, whether thats in Serie A or the Premier league who knows... but he has the right acumen to succeed here and i hope he gets his chance.

They signed Jozy Altidore for £8.5m, Steven Fletcher for £12m, Connor Wickham for £8m, Asamoah Gyan for £13.2m, Darren Bent for £16.5m, and Kenwyne Jones for £6m, so it would appear that they're mildly addicted to spunking large sums of money on strikers that aren't very good.

• Upvote 2

They signed Jozy Altidore for £8.5m, Steven Fletcher for £12m, Connor Wickham for £8m, Asamoah Gyan for £13.2m, Darren Bent for £16.5m, and Kenwyne Jones for £6m, so it would appear that they're mildly addicted to spunking large sums of money on strikers that aren't very good.

Gyan was good for them, Bent was good for them, Altidore is unbelievably shit, Fletcher was a terrible piece of business, Wickham is coming good and Jones was sold for a profit, so it's a mixed bag there. 

Gyan was good for them, Bent was good for them, Altidore is unbelievably shit, Fletcher was a terrible piece of business, Wickham is coming good and Jones was sold for a profit, so it's a mixed bag there. 

No bag containing Altidore is mixed. He turns every bag into a bag of pure shit.

• Upvote 3

I find the flat refusal to believe anything other than a failed medical a bit worrying.

It's not like that's due to naively not even considering it though, or an idealistic view of how the club goes about it's business.  It's just that when you think about what's been suggested it doesn't all add up, and where do we really benefit? 

If anything from Borini's side it'd need to be the shoulder injury being far worse so we know we can't sell him and just haven't announced it yet, as for all the "he wants to stay and fight for his place" stuff, the likelihood is he just doesn't want to go to Sunderland permanently and is waiting it out, hoping someone more illustrious comes in for him.  No doubt the fact we were up for accepting the bid has informed him how much football he'd get with us next year.

Bit of a performance to go to from the club's perspective as well, isn't it, simply to cover up not being able to buy him now because we're supposedly lumbered with Borini?  Surely we'd just have said he wanted too big a wage, there'd already been murmers of that in the press.  Seems far too much hard work to go to purely to fake a deal falling apart.  Unless its the Borini injury thing, why the timing of even bothering to fly Remy out, when it was obvious Borini was dragging his heels before he got on the plane? 

It smacks to me that unless he's injured for months, Borini will go somewhere or other last minute, and Rodgers will, if he isn't able to find the right deal - which yes, no doubt will be subject to our often no rhyme or reason set valuations on respective players - be understaffed up front for our return to the Champions League. 

If they were willing to risk that potentially damaging exposure in a key year unless a player got sold in Remy's position first, not sure we'd have dropped what we have on Can without cash for Lucas and his wages off the books, likewise Markovic with Aspas and Assaidi, Lovren with Agger, Coates and at least one of Kolo or Kelly - deal agreed after the far less Remy money couldn't be found - to bid for Moreno without Robinson going and to buy Origi when he's not even going to use him this year.

Why was the cheapest signing of the lot the straw that broke the stingy lying camel's back?  When you put it together it doesn't stack up, even if you thought the club would go to such lengths, which I don't to be honest, despite having a far from Pollyana view of how they often make a right bollocks of transfer business, not least the farcical waiting til the day before the window shut to try and buy Konoplyanka.

Teams have been known to buy injured players, so I feel mildly confident that Borini will be sold, shoulder or no shoulder. As much as I admire the boy for wanting to fight for his place, he knew that the club planned to replace him. There are no dark arts afoot in backing out of the Remy deal: our medical staff determined it wasn't worth the risk. Good luck to Remy. He too will find a club, just as he has in the past.

Is it right that Remy's agent is Willie McKay?

How he passed a medical with QPR or got signed despite not doing, and why investigated by the Inland Revenue Droopy has been spurred into action and seems so concerned, would be worthy of more investigation if that's the case.  Or whether despite Remy having been reported to have agreed terms with us, someone else wanted an extra slice post-medical before the deal was signed.

Happy to judge each case on its merits, if this one turns out to be on us for penny-pinching reasons it's shameful shit, but I'd bet my last quid it isn't and given some of the characters popping up in this story, pointing fingers at the likes of Rodgers and even Ayre or FSG over a rogue's gallery of Saggy Tit Eyes and the superlouse McKay?  Fuck that.

Yup, Remy, McKay and dog tits are not three people I would follow around a dark corner to buy coke off.

Someone on here described Mons. Remy as a turd that won't flush just waiting to happen, which apart from being a terrible terrible image is probably quite perceptive.

If there is an obvious or potentially major problem with a player's current or future fitness/health, I think any club may baulk at concluding a deal for that player. I have a feeling that some clubs have much wider parameters than others, especially when they have a chance to sign a player with a reputation that suggests he could be playing at a far higher level - as is the case with Remy - and I think that while both Newcastle and QPR were aware of a potential problem with Remy's heart, neither deemed it to be too sufficient a problem because they were getting a player that clubs bigger than them were being linked with.