You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drunk posting this::drool:

I was watching the game tonight in The Submarine Bar in Dublin: in the presence of the the LFC legend, JOHN ALDRIDGE. There was a Q&A session after game where the audience got to put their questions to John. After raising my arm for a few minutes, I got to ask - "of the squad you played with, excluding yourself, who alone would make the biggest difference to our present squad"? You could probably guess that he said that John Barnes would be the make the biggest difference. But the elaborated to say that if (obviously hypothetically) Digger was playing, he would at least turn half our draws into victories. Other questioners asked about the current situation, but he didn't add to anything that hasn't already been said either way. Though he did say that we were alright down the middle but our wings were "shite". He also mentioned that some of our squad wouldn't make the reserves of his era.

When questioned about typical incredulous Rafa decisions, he expressed the same bemusement as most - "I just don't know mate". He didn't want to be drawn on political Parry issues, but felt that Keane was treated abysmally.

I asked later on a one-to-one - "who of his era would be an unsung hero in our present lot?" He answered that Ronnie Whelan, or Steve Nichol would make a huge difference. I said to him that I thought Steve McMahon would be his answer, but he stuck with his original choice.

Tonights game reminded me so much of a typical Kenny Dalglish team performance; nothing out of this world, but professionally dealt with. What a difference a few days make in football! Mascherano was a revelation at RB (Not to me though). Ngog is far too young and promising to be written off just yet. We dominated without being a constant threat, but we fully deserved our triumph.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aldo also mentioned that is was a big mistake to let Crouch go; as he thought he gave us something different if a change needed to be made. Hear hear!!

We didn't let him go. He wanted to leave. The whole issue was that Crouch was sick of been the fella who could "give us something different" when we needed. He wanted to be a regular.

A few weeks ago in his Echo column John Aldridge mentioned POMO. And how we should get the ball quicker to POMO's.

I couldn't take him seriously after that.

The single biggest thing that's held English football back for 30 years and he wanted us to adopt it.

Sorry John, you're talking utter shite there lad.

A few weeks ago in his Echo column John Aldridge mentioned POMO. And how we should get the ball quicker to POMO's.

I couldn't take him seriously after that.

The single biggest thing that's held English football back for 30 years and he wanted us to adopt it.

Sorry John, you're talking utter shite there lad.

Is that that thing about if you hit the ball in the oppositions danger areas loads inevitably you'll get chances?

In other words hoof every pass and have al your players fight for it at the edge of the box.

Load of bollocks.

Is that that thing about if you hit the ball in the oppositions danger areas loads inevitably you'll get chances?

In other words hoof every pass and have al your players fight for it at the edge of the box.

Load of bollocks.

Correct.

POMO - Position Of Maximum Opportunity.

Originally theorized by Charles Reep an accountant in the 1950's, and later adopted by the then head coach of the FA Charlie Hughes.

Hughes defense was based on a statistical analysis in particular of the areas of the field from where goals were scored. He called these area the POMO - Positions of Maximum Opportunity and that became the focus of play. Get the ball into the POMO enough times and you are sure to score.

Hughes based his analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool F.C. and the Brazilian national team, as well as many England Youth games.

Never has a point been so spectacularly missed.

Aldridge doesn't really know much about football.

Last seaosn he said we should move Torres to the right and play Crouch up front with Torres coming in to play off him.

Obviously not enough to take Tranmere to Wembley for a cup final and not enough to dispatch several Premiership teams in cup competitions over the years.

Correct.

Originally theorized by Charles Reep an accountant in the 1950's, and later adopted by the then head coach of the FA Charlie Hughes.

Hughes defense was based on a statistical analysis in particular of the areas of the field from where goals were scored. He called these area the POMO - Positions of Maximum Opportunity and that became the focus of play. Get the ball into the POMO enough times and you are sure to score.

Hughes based his analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool F.C. and the Brazilian national team, as well as many England Youth games.

I read about that in Vialli's book.

Surley getting good balls into good areas a few times less than just playing any ball in there will make it easier to score.

Obviously not enough to take Tranmere to Wembley for a cup final and not enough to dispatch several Premiership teams in cup competitions over the years.

Did he get them relegated too?

I like him but some of stuff he comes out with is nonsense.

Play Torres on the right so Crouch can play? Madness.

Did he get them relegated too?

I like him but some of stuff he comes out with is nonsense.

Play Torres on the right so Crouch can play? Madness.

I'm pretty sure he quit right after we played them in the FA Cup and there was about seven or eight games to go something like that.

Oh yeah I agree he can come out with the odd comment that makes you think "what the fuck?", but I think he's a genuine fan and sometimes comes out with some decent analysis.

I just thought that "Aldridge doesn't know much about football" line was a bit OOT when I imagine he knows more than 99% who post on here. No offence anyway, mate.

Correct.

That's what Mourihno uses for the basis of his coaching methods. I remember reading an interview with him just after he went to Chelsea.

I'm pretty sure he quit right after we played them in the FA Cup and there was about seven or eight games to go something like that.

Oh yeah I agree he can come out with the odd comment that makes you think "what the fuck?", but I think he's a genuine fan and sometimes comes out with some decent analysis.

I just thought that "Aldridge doesn't know much about football" line was a bit OOT when I imagine he knows more than 99% who post on here. No offence anyway, mate.

That line was a bit OTT. I didn't mean it quite as bad as it sounds.

I just wouldn't take his word as gospel. He's just another fan like everyone on here.

Correct.

Yeah, he deliberately chose selected games from us and Brazil to prove his point and the FA based two or three decades of coaching on his findings without ever checking the facts. Fucking criminal, it set the English game back decades.

I read about that in Vialli's book.

Surley getting good balls into good areas a few times less than just playing any ball in there will make it easier to score.

I think Dicko was being sarcastic

Seriously?

Seriously. I'll see if I can find the article.

From what I can remember off the top of my head the article mentioned Mourihno travelling to Brazil to attend a conference. And that his philosophy was built on percentages like it was mentioned above.

Yeah, he deliberately chose selected games from us and Brazil to prove his point and the FA based two or three decades of coaching on his findings without ever checking the facts. Fucking criminal, it set the English game back decades.

I think Dicko was being sarcastic

I know that. I was more responding to the fact that someone just thought get it in an area of the pitch ie play for throw ins at the opposition corner flag and close them down would be better than keeping the ball and creating a proper opening.