You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alexis Mac Allister

Welcome to Liverpool.

Liverpool aiming to sign Brighton’s Alexis Mac Allister this week

World Cup-winning midfielder, 24, keen to move to Anfield and work with Jürgen Klopp

Alexis Mac Allister is set to become Liverpool’s first signing of the summer, with the Anfield club hopeful of concluding a deal this week for the Argentina World Cup winner.

Contact between Liverpool and Brighton & Hove Albion has now taken place and midfielder Mac Allister is keen to work with Jürgen Klopp.

A release clause in the 24-year-old’s contract means the transfer should progress smoothly, although the value of the deal remains uncertain with a range of fees from £45 million through to £55 million and also £61 million having been previously published.

Mac Allister signed a new deal last October, extending a contract that would have otherwise expired this summer, before helping Argentina win the World Cup in Qatar.

While it is unusual for Brighton to include a release clause in their player’s contracts, the fact remains he could have been available for free without that agreement even if it appears his price tag could be below his present market value.

Manchester United had also looked at Mac Allister, but the player’s preference to move to Liverpool forced Erik ten Hag to divert his attention elsewhere. United are keen on Chelsea’s Mason Mount, who has a year remaining on his contract but who is still rated at £70 million by the Stamford Bridge club. United view Mount as worth nearer to £50 million.

Mount, the England international, had also been followed by Liverpool, but their priority has been to conclude a deal for Mac Allister, whose high technical ability and his versatility in midfield — he can play as a No 6, No 8 or No 10 — make him a key signing.

The player’s representatives are presently in England as talks continue.

Finalising the arrival of Mac Allister is the present focus, but Liverpool will also seek other signings in midfield with availability and price shaping their decision making.

The club has followed Nice’s Khéphren Thuram and Romeo Lavia of Southampton among others, with James Milner, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain having left Liverpool on free transfers.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

(Nobody ever asks me.)

Have you checked the official welcome to Liverpool Alexis Mac Allister thread?

I really really don't like his name. It's ruining it for me completely. Why Cant he have a proper South American surname like Suarez or some shit like that. The whole half Scots thing is a real turn off for me. 

Get a deed poll sorted you little fucker and you'll get the diamonds full support. 

Our midfield is slow in defence and toothless in attack. I have seen Mac Allister play probably a dozen time's including the world cup and was confident he'd be solid at least.

That YouTube clip is 7:23 seconds of exactly what we need. Expectations are now through the roof, good luck Al.

7 minutes ago, diamondjoe said:

I really really don't like his name. It's ruining it for me completely. Why Cant he have a proper South American surname like Suarez or some shit like that. The whole half Scots thing is a real turn off for me. 

Get a deed poll sorted you little fucker and you'll get the diamonds full support. 

We're always better with a Scot in the team, so the expectation is that he'll make us 50% better

#analytics