You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I've been watching that too and have had it on all morning.

Senator Bob Casey just been on and said shitloads of Phily votes yet to be counted in PA.

Seemed pretty confident of a Biden win there as well. Heads will well and truly fall off if that happens. Trumps bunker will resemble the Gwladys end when Dirk slotted home that penalty winner. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I can understand people wanting Biden to win simply because he’s not Trump, I get that, but won’t it make things worse for us with trade deals? Genuine question, I’m just going off what the talking heads have been saying

The proposed deal with America only accounts for a few percent of what we are losing with the EU. If anything Biden winning will scupper some of the ubercunts in the Tory party and force them to get serious about dealing with the EU.

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I can understand people wanting Biden to win simply because he’s not Trump, I get that, but won’t it make things worse for us with trade deals? Genuine question, I’m just going off what the talking heads have been saying

It is possible it will impact the disaster capitalists wet dream deal with the US, but may push the UK into a better deal with the EU. So it depends on your starting point.

25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It's not that simple, but basically Trump is antiEU and would throw us a lifeline to smite the EU.  Whereas Biden is proEU and would likely not be in a rush to help the Tories.

I regard the latter to be a win.  Perhaps a painful win, but all the pressure is piled back onto the Tories.  

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

As things stand though you've got states like Arizona which could no go either way, being called a whole day before and getting people ready for a party. 

They use different systems for their numbers and then they have individual “decision desks”. It’s a judgement call.

As I keep repeating; Fox and AP were premature to call AZ.

I’ve got NBC on and they’ve just had the former AG of Michigan on to explain what the trump campaign is complaining about. 

To paraphrase, she said they’ve said, say, 64 Republican observers weren’t allowed in to observe vote counting but that because of Covid regulations the room had a limit on the number of people allowed in it and the Republicans already had 136 observers in there which is the maximum they could fit in. 

So they’ve basically done something like send 200 observers when they knew beforehand only 136 would be allowed in and then gone to the court claiming shenanigans when they didn’t allow the remainder in. She said it’s utter nonsense. 

She said it’s similar to when some Republicans ‘stormed’ the impeachment enquiry saying it shouldn’t be allowed to be conducted in secret without mentioning more than 40 Republicans on the committee were already able to attend. 

Nevada still has around 25% of its votes to count, which is approaching 400,000. Joe Biden has a narrow lead of about 7,500 at the moment. Under state law, ballots can still be accepted so long as they were postmarked by Election Day up until 10 November.

Trump narrowly lost Nevada in 2016 as the state has trended toward the Democrats in the past decade. The last Republican to win the state was George W. Bush in 2004.

The tweet mentions Matt Schlapp as a Brooks Brothers Riot participant. For those of us without total recall of US elections from twenty years ago, my colleague Adam Gabbatt reminded us what the Brooks Brothers Riot was recently:

'In late November 2000, hundreds of mostly middle-aged male protesters, dressed in off-the-peg suits and cautious ties, descended on the Miami-Dade polling headquarters in Florida. Shouting, jostling, and punching, they demanded that a recount of ballots for the presidential election be stopped.

The protesters, many of whom were paid Republican operatives, succeeded. A recount of ballots in Florida was abandoned. What became known as the Brooks Brothers riot went down in infamy, and George W Bush became president after a supreme court decision.'

This is madness, proper gangstar shakedown stuff.

Deplorable scum.

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

It’s going the other way, he’s 3/1 and isn’t going to win there so how is there good money to be made?

He should be ok there hopefully, albeit that’s the one state where it’s more likely to end up in the Supreme Court so I hope the whole result doesn’t just hinge on Pennsylvania and he takes at least one other state. 

I threw a tenner on Trump taking Georgia last night to try and jinx it. Think that is genuinely too tight to call. 

More I look at Arizona the more I think Biden can just about do it. I’m thinking he wins on a 10-15k majority. 

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Depends what you want out of a trade deal. If you want a trade deal that sells off the NHS , gives us food with lower hygiene standards than we enjoy today, lots more money in the pockets of the Tories and their mates and allows them to make it look like a no deal Brexit is a good thing in the eyes of the Brexit biffs, then in that case trump winning is a good thing. 

• Upvote 1