You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

Liverpool have reportedly seen a £20 million bid for Islam Slimani turned down by Sporting Lisbon, who will only accept offers that match his £24 million release clause.

That's according to Paulo Jorge Rocha of Portuguese outlet Noticias ao Minuto who noted the release clause expires at the end of June.

Per Portuguese football writer Jan Hagen, Sporting president Bruno de Carvalho has been firm in his stance for some time in regards to keeping his best players:

Slimani is undoubtedly one of them. The 27-year-old netted 30 goals for Sporting last season, his 27 league strikes almost firing them to the Liga NOS title.

Per Rocha , he has also attracted interest from Premier League rivals Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Leicester City.

Sporting boss Jorge Jesus believes the striker would thrive in the English top flight, per GianlucaDiMarzio.com (h/t Marca): "[Jamie] Vardy was this year's revelation. People say that Slimani wouldn't be able to play for Leicester, but I disagree. In England, if he is guided by a manager who knows a lot about football, he can score double the goals Vardy does."

If the Reds are only £4 million short of matching his release clause, it's unlikely they'll haggle over the difference. They should act quickly if they want him, though, or Sporting will likely demand far more once his release clause expires.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have received a boost in their pursuit of Udinese midfielder Piotr Zielinski after his agent ruled out a move to rival club Napoli.

According to Radio Crc (h/t Green), the Reds have made a £9.5 million offer and Napoli are also hot on his heels, but the player's agent Bartlomiej Bolek said he won't be joining the Partenopei: "To be honest, there is no chance that the player can go to Napoli."

The 22-year-old is a promising box-to-box midfielder who stood out on loan at Empoli last year. According to Squawka, he helped his side regain possession with 54 successful tackles and 49 interceptions. Going, forward he completed 89 take-ons and created 52 chances, scoring five and assisting four goals.

Further, per Sky Sports' Fabrizio Romano, it seems the youngster is wholly in favour of a move to Anfield:

With the player himself evidently keen on joining Liverpool, and the Reds having room for more valuable competition in the centre, it seems likely they'll be able to secure the Pole.

He is currently on international duty with Poland, though, so it may have to wait until after the European Championship.

Heard he's dynamite.

I agree but it d be worse if we were spending 30m on him. I think its a klopp signing. He likes polish players and he obviously sees a role for him. In my opinion hes gonna be challenging for one of the 3 positions behind the striker but thats a guess based on some youtube footage.

Unfortunately looks like mane might be the marquee signing. Hopefully we also spring a firmino type surprise as well.

Agreed I wouldn't want to spend 30m on him, but I don't want 9m! does he really score and create enough to play in one of those 3 places behind Sturridge? We have lalanna, Coutinho, firmino, miler and possible origi and ings. Plus the likes of Brannagan. It makes no sense to me at all.

Surprised most people seem ok with us starting another season reliant on Sturridge staying fit or Origi suddenly making the jump from promising to great.

Relying on Sturridge has already finished two seasons before they've started for us.

I'm not. We've got the keeper and a centre back. Next a top class centre mid and striker for me. Left back and right winger too.

Surprised most people seem ok with us starting another season reliant on Sturridge staying fit or Origi suddenly making the jump from promising to great.

Relying on Sturridge has already finished two seasons before they've started for us.

echo reporters are picking their starting 11 for next season. Same players as last year plus matip and mane. Not sure they even had karius.

cant see klopp making the wholesale changes many were hoping for.

echo reporters are picking their starting 11 for next season. Same players as last year plus matip and mane. Not sure they even had karius.

cant see klopp making the wholesale changes many were hoping for.

Probably just with what we currently have and Karius will be at the Olympics won't he.

Lyon have rejected West Ham's latest offer of £32m for Lacazette. Looking for nearer £40m. [via @MirrorFootball]

Apparently he is open to the move due to Payets success.

I think they have Nordviet from Mönchengladbach and Fegoulhi from Valencia already signed. They will need some depth for Europe but they are going in balls deep if that bid is true.

Feghouli is a talented player, very playmaker-esque, silky smooth. That said, he's really gone off the boil in the last 18 months, have been very disappointed with him.

14 league goals in the past 4 seasons, that's the problem with him in attacking positions.

Islam Slimani is worth a gamble, though I'm not sure he's worth a £24m gamble.

Sure he scored a lot of goals for sporting, but then we're talking about a team and a league where Bryan Ruiz has scored, and Sebastian Coates plays, and where Aquilani plays and scores a couple.

I'm not saying he can't be a great player, but £24m is an awful lot of money to run the risk of being wrong.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think you overlook how much a bit of pacey directness on one side of the pitch would transform the entire look of the side.

Why do you think that? I've not mentioned anything about it at all. Seems like you've made it up.

FUCK this shit.

Shut the fucking transfer window. Whenever I click on Liverpool transfer news, I want to rip the mechanically recovered nips lips and arseholes from the rotary grill and open a can of warm life expired Top Deck before closing the shop for the afternoon.

Lyon have rejected West Ham's latest offer of £32m for Lacazette. Looking for nearer £40m. [via @MirrorFootball]

Apparently he is open to the move due to Payets success.

I think they have Nordviet from Mönchengladbach and Fegoulhi from Valencia already signed. They will need some depth for Europe but they are going in balls deep if that bid is true.

Of course they are, they have a free stadium and a fuck load of TV money. Cunts.