You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cover Versions

Karl_b

You sir, are a top class gent.

Funny at the start when they are trying to get it going and hitting mad chords but I still like it; very brave attempt.

I hadnt heard the original so just downloaded it. Very very brave in tackling that .

Downloaded a lot of We Are Scientists stuff a week or so back, and Im really impressed by them. The first couple of things I heard didnt really have a big impact but I was told to download Cash Cow and The Scene is Dead, superb.

On a sidenote, I got the Dirty Pretty Things album today and its ace. Really good, you can see who really had the talent in the Libertines.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadnt heard the original so just downloaded it. Very very brave in tackling that .

Downloaded a lot of We Are Scientists stuff a week or so back, and Im really impressed by them. The first couple of things I heard didnt really have a big impact but I was told to download Cash Cow and The Scene is Dead, superb.

On a sidenote, I got the Dirty Pretty Things album today and its ace. Really good, you can see who really had the talent in the Libertines.

What's that lyric about Doherty in the current single?

"I gave you the midas touch and you turn round and rip out my heart"

Or something like that. I liked it.

Dirty Pretty Things - Bang Bang You're Dead

I knew all along

That I was right at the start

About the seeds of the weeds

That grew in your heart

Self satisfaction for the factions

Who formed to tear us apart

Oh I gave you the Midas touch

As you turned round to scratch out my heart

Oh what did you expect?

Oh tell me what did you expect?

To lay it on my head?

So is it all upon my head?

Bang bang you're dead!

Oh I'm so easily lead

Bang, bang, you're de-e-ead!

Put all those rumours to bed

Bang, bang you're dead

I knew all along

But I was loathed to believe

There was nothing but spite

Fury and lies in the words that you weave

Bring our illusion to a conclusion

With all our unsold dreams

Put it to bed, kick it in the head

Oh won't they just let it be

Bang bang you're dead!

Oh I'm so easily lead

Bang, bang, you're de-e-ead!

Put all those rumours to bed

Bang, bang you're dead

Bang bang bang bang you're dead

Oooh, I've just found a cover of 'Against All Odds' - that one from some 80's movie that goes "So take a look at me noooooow, there's just an empty space" by The Postal Service. All electronicy and cool.

Frank Zappa - Murder by Numbers (Sting)

FZ's versions of I Am The Walrus and Stairway to heaven were excellent, as was his live version of Ring Of Fire.

JC was supposed to appear on stage with the '88 band, but June got ill. Great shame, I'd have loved to have heard my two favourite musicians playing together - as it was it ended up as an excuse for making lots of Anusol jokes.

FZ's versions of I Am The Walrus and Stairway to heaven were excellent, as was his live version of Ring Of Fire.

JC was supposed to appear on stage with the '88 band, but June got ill. Great shame, I'd have loved to have heard my two favourite musicians playing together - as it was it ended up as an excuse for making lots of Anusol jokes.

Another corking Zappa cover or two has just popped into my head as well.

Purple Haze by Hendrix (obviously), and Happy Together by The Turtles as on the Fillmore East live album from '71.

To be fair, Zappas Happy Together did have Flo and Eddie on vocals at the time, so not quite a cover in the pure sense of the word, featuring the 2 original vocalists as it did....

Guest TK-421
Oooh, I've just found a cover of 'Against All Odds' - that one from some 80's movie that goes "So take a look at me noooooow, there's just an empty space" by The Postal Service. All electronicy and cool.

That sounds lushty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest GreggeryPeccary

Also the 88 tour's Texas Motel Medley - Norwegian Jim (Norwegian Wood) / Lousiana Hooker With Herpes (Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds) / Texas Motel (Strawberry Fields Forever).

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

Last Kiss by Pearl Jam

Say Hello Wave Goodbye by David Gray

Rusty Cage by Johnny Cash

Twist and Shout by The Beatles

Jolene by The White Stripes

Strawberry Fields Forever by Ben Harper

Can't believe it took until the 52nd post for Jolene to get a mention.

Also the 88 tour's Texas Motel Medley - Norwegian Jim (Norwegian Wood) / Lousiana Hooker With Herpes (Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds) / Texas Motel (Strawberry Fields Forever).

Welcome you nocturnal gregarious wild swine you.

Good call - Sunshine of Your Love on 'Best Band You never Heard In Your Life' is another one '... I'll stay with you 'til disease all dried up ...' - excellent stuff

• 3 months later...