You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heysel Stadium disaster (film to be made)

redsoxs

It was only a matter of time that before someone would make the film....looks a French Novelist take on the film will be the way forward.

Not looking forward to this....

A NOVEL about the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster in which 39 football fans died is being made into a film.

Hundreds of people were injured when a wall collapsed at the stadium in Brussels, Belgium, after fighting between rival fans before the European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

The aftermath saw English clubs banned from European competition for five years, with Liverpool serving an extra year’s suspension.

Play Slideshow

« Previous PhotoNext Photo »

2410267-728050-img019_430_345.jpg?h=a1495f3a298e7dbde1ab9cb3eab809d9

Play Slideshow

« Previous PhotoNext Photo

125Next

The film is based on the novel In the Crowd, by French author Laurent Mauvignier which follows fans from England, Belgium, France and Italy on the day of the game.

Jean Baptiste Babin, from BackUp Films, told Screen magazine the story was “very strong in terms of European identity”.

It will be directed by French film-maker Jean Stephane Sauvaire whose last film, Johnny Mad Dog in 2008, was about child soldiers in Africa.

Read More Heysel Stadium disaster novel to be made into film - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

RIP 29th May 39 lost fans.....

some reviews

In The Crowd scores a triumph | Metro.co.uk

In the Crowd, by Laurent Mauvignier, trans Shaun Whiteside - Reviews, Books - The Independent

Apparently the translation is well done so it might be worth reading to see how he handles the facts as he sees them.

I doubt it will go into much detail in regards of the climate of the time in which there had been violence between other teams.

I've seen Johnny Mad Dog, the debut film by this director, and it's an excellent, nuanced and gruelling piece of work about child soldiers in the Liberian civil war.

He managed to handle a subject like that with a deft hand, so I doubt this will turn out to be some kind of simplistic "the Liverpool fans were murderous scum" polemic.

I dont like the sound of this one bit.No matter how good a director he is,you can bet your house on the fact,you will see the Liverpool fans rushing towards the Juve fans.

What it wont show you is,the reason the first load of fans was running to.

There was a young lad kitted out in Liverpool kit,getting seven kinds of shite kicked out of him,by a few adult Juve fans.

Thats what they started running to,but the rest followed thinking it was charge on the Juve fans.

By the way I no it sounds a bit far fetched,but its true,I had two uncles there who ran in to get the lad out.

Theres no reason for them to lie,also I think this has been mentioned a few times,and laughed down as a trying to take the blame away from us.

There had been trouble all through the day there.

Guest ShoePiss
I dont like the sound of this one bit.No matter how good a director he is,you can bet your house on the fact,you will see the Liverpool fans rushing towards the Juve fans.

What it wont show you is,the reason the first load of fans was running to.

There was a young lad kitted out in Liverpool kit,getting seven kinds of shite kicked out of him,by a few adult Juve fans.

Thats what they started running to,but the rest followed thinking it was charge on the Juve fans.

By the way I no it sounds a bit far fetched,but its true,I had two uncles there who ran in to get the lad out.

Theres no reason for them to lie,also I think this has been mentioned a few times,and laughed down as a trying to take the blame away from us.

There had been trouble all through the day there.

[YOUTUBE]_yvqTLGql9w&[/YOUTUBE]

looks a French Novelist take on the film will be the way forward.

Not looking forward to this....

Right.

"French Novelist take"

Heysel.....Juventus.....Platini.....

I think we know how this will end up.

Avoid folks.

I've no doubt The Blueshite and the Mancs will lap this up as more shit to throw in our direction.

Forever in everybodies mind, we'll always be labelled as murderers for our part in the tragedy because "It's easier to blame Scousers". Not to mention that fucking old witch Thatcher coming out and calling us scum.

My old foreman (Bluenose btw) always said to me if people are giving you shit or throwing allsorts at you, you just don't stand there and take it. He was on our side in all this. Its just a shame the press aren't.

I've no doubt The Blueshite and the Mancs will lap this up as more shit to throw in our direction.

Forever in everybodies mind, we'll always be labelled for our part in the tragedy because "It's easier to blame Scousers".

It is. All the riots and disturbances by other clubs down the years, and we get the blame for all of them, for being involved in just one of them. :whatever:

I will always resist that label though. I will acknowledge our fans part in the riot, but never for what followed. To blindly put the entire blame for the whole episode on us was, and is outrageous.

Edited by mypost

• 2 weeks later...

BBC News - Heysel film's Jean-Stephane Sauvaire to see Liverpool fans

Heysel film's Jean-Stephane Sauvaire to see Liverpool fans

By Peter Coulter

BBC News

_53019010_jean.gif

The French director making a film based on the Heysel tragedy has said he will visit Liverpool to meet with supporters.

On 29 May, 1985, 39 football fans died during violent clashes between Liverpool and Juventus fans at the European Cup final in Brussels.

Hundreds of other fans were injured in the incident.

Jean-Stephane Sauvaire's film will be based on Laurent Mauvigniers novel In The Crowd.

Those who died were 32 Italians, four Belgians, two French and a man from Northern Ireland.

As a result of the disaster at Heysel Stadium, Uefa banned English clubs from taking part in European football for five years, with Liverpool serving an extra year.

More than 60,000 Liverpool and Juventus fans were at the stadium, which was described as rundown, when violence erupted about an hour before kick-off.

It has to be intense but honest. I want to respect anybody who will be part of the film”

A retaining wall separating the opposing fans collapsed as the Italian club's supporters tried to escape from Liverpool followers.

Backup films announced at Cannes Film Festival in May 2011 that a film was going to be made. French director Mr Sauvaire was announced as the director.

Speaking from New York, Mr Sauvaire said it would be "very important for me to come to Liverpool, and meet with everyone who wants to speak about the tragedy".

He said: "The novel by Laurent Mauvignier is amazing because it's all about the characters, before, during and after Heysel. It's a human way to tell this tragedy.

"Most of the film will be authentic and visceral. It has to be intense but honest. I want to respect anybody who will be part of the film. I'm not doing this film to judge, or giving lessons to everybody.

"I'm here to depict, retranscribe, film the events as they were, for the audience to be plunged into the stadium, into the chaos.

"I will have to see all the documents, films etc and meet a lot of people who were involved at this time. For example, Paul Greengrass did an amazing film with Bloody Sunday, I'd love with the Heysel tragedy to do a film in this vein."

Aidan Rimmer, 41, originally from Preston who now lives in Dunkerque, was 15 and in the crowd when the tragedy happened.

He said he welcomed Mr Sauvaire's willingness to meet with people who were there and said he would be happy to meet with him.

Mr Rimmer said: "At the game the atmosphere was great, the weather was really hot and the grass by the side of the main road leading up to the stadium was used for football matches between our supporters and Juventus supporters.

"Everyone was just having a good time and being really friendly, swapping scarves, sharing drinks and having a laugh together.

Mr Rimmer said he still remembered the atmosphere inside the stadium.

He said: "The Belgian police were searching bags, cladding fell from one of the walls and rocks and bottles were being thrown over the wall. I remember the police dogs and the baton charges by police.

"We were only kids but we climbed over the fence from pen XYZ and were helped by others. The actions of people running towards others isn't excusable. I still think about what happened in 1985 - I hurt like hell."

Mr Sauvaire's previous film Johnny Mad Dog was about child soldiers in Africa. He lived there for a year preparing the film.

Mr Rimmer added: "I liked what he said about the child soldiers and trying to help them out, maybe he'll act responsibly when making the Heysel film too."

Mr Mauvignier's novel, In The Crowd has been described by BBC sports journalist John Sinnott as a "remarkable portray of Liverpool given Mauvignier is French".

It follows Geoff, a Liverpool fan and his two brothers to the game and their interactions with the other fans.

Eddie Singleton, was also at Heysel that day, said he would not want to see the film because he did not want to "re-live" the memories.

I wasn't a hooligan. I was a decent fella, a loyal football fan who loved the club.”

Mr Singleton he said that after attending a Spurs game where the Liverpool team did not acknowledge the fans, him and a friend were "jumped on".

He added: "I thought then, why am I risking this for them?

"That instance, along with Heysel, made me re-evaluate my priorities. I wasn't a hooligan. I was a decent fella, loyal football fan who loved the club, but I was sick of being treated like an animal.

"Spending my hard-earned cash and being treated like something scraped off the bottom of a shoe.

"For five years I didn't miss going to the game."

Mr Sauvaire said he was currently editing the script. The film will shoot in spring 2012 with a release predicted for 2013.

Liverpool FC said it was not prepared to comment while the film was in production.

Forever in everybodies mind, we'll always be labelled as murderers for our part in the tragedy because "It's easier to blame Scousers". Not to mention that fucking old witch Thatcher coming out and calling us scum.

My old foreman (Bluenose btw) always said to me if people are giving you shit or throwing allsorts at you, you just don't stand there and take it. He was on our side in all this. Its just a shame the press aren't.

the mancs, chelsea and the blueshite are only ever gonna believe what they want to believe, they dont want to look at the full picture because it wouldnt sit well with their biased, pre-concieved views....the thing i find most ironic is utd fans and chelsea fans claiming the moral high-ground over football violence in the 80s....if they can smell shite, its because their nose is too near their own arse.

the mancs, chelsea and the blueshite are only ever gonna believe what they want to believe, they dont want to look at the full picture because it wouldnt sit well with their biased, pre-concieved views....the thing i find most ironic is utd fans and chelsea fans claiming the moral high-ground over football violence in the 80s....if they can smell shite, its because their nose is too near their own arse.

the dung always seem to forget when they had to play at anfield and stoke in 1971 and at plymouth v st etienne in 1983 ish... just hope the film delves back to rome the year before....

the dung always seem to forget when they had to play at anfield and stoke in 1971 and at plymouth v st etienne in 1983 ish... just hope the film delves back to rome the year before....

whoops, was 1977 not 1983... old age creeping in.....