You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

41 minutes ago, an tha said:

Exactly. Instead they start with it being the biggest surprise in history that we have dropped off and couldn't have been predicted. Conveniently ignoring the fact that a large proportion of the fans have raised this concern over and over and generally been sneered at by the higher ups. 

Then there is this bit about us planning 2 windows ahead but only supposedly looking at attackers? That's cool then, so on that basis we will look at defensive improvements in the summer of 24 and attacking ones again in 25? How do other clubs manage to multi task?? Spend more money you cheap bastards

58 minutes ago, an tha said:

Even after a great season continuous improvement is mandatory (Madrid buying that lad from Monaco), it was even more critical after we lost the 2 big ones last season. Whilst it can be argued that no one expected us to be this shit (I certainly didn't), it still doesn't excuse for the lack of at least 1 midfielder.

We knew all the issues - Keita being useless, Milner is too old, Henderson getting slower, Thiago being injury prone, Ox is broken but for whatever reason (Klopp included) the club thought we had enough in that department. To then get someone like Arthur it just a piss take. 

From an accounting perspective we probably reached the limit for the year but its a question of risk appetite - almost any other top club in the world would have recognised the bad need of midfielders and would have taken some risk. I think we are in a bit of a pickle right now - we have far too many players on huge wages and with FSG's lack of risk appetite I don't think we will spend a lot anytime soon.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I got bored about half way through that. It's interesting the echo say all this with hindsight..yet pretty much all fans were saying it in the summer. 

38 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

The King of Scottie Road telling everyone that they should be careful what they wish for.

Dunno about king of Scottie, king of Westminster is closer the mark. I had a bevvy with him about a year ago and he was absolutely scathing of FSG. He made me feel I quite like them. 

It isn't a case of people kicking off because we don't spend ££££££££'s on shiny new toys and flavour of the month jobs...

This is people absolutely fairly complaining because we have huge holes in the squad that people have been raising as concerns for a while.

The injury prone players adding nothing.

The ageing profile generally - i think we have one of if not the highest average ages for the squad in the league.

The lack of like for like depth and cover in some areas.....

The fact that we have 1 of our 9 midfielders who is considered at the prime age for a footballer is criminal - the fact that 1 player is Naby Keita makes it laughable - except it isn't funny.

We seem to have sleep walked into letting our squad grow old, stale, tired and often too many of it injured.

It is borderline negligent IMHO that we have not, especially from a position of strength that we have been in where we have been more attractive to players than we have been for decades, strengthened and refreshed and renewed our squad properly.

• Upvote 2

FSG definitely deserve criticism.

However, choosing to spend big on an attacker when we realised Tchouaméni wasn't available was also a bad mistake. It was clear that midfield was already becoming a problem area for us before this season. 

That's no judgement on Nunez, by the way, who I think will do really well. We just prioritised the wrong area with our limited resources. Mane would still have gone but we could have kept Minamino and looked at an additional cheaper option. We'd be a more balanced squad now if we'd gone for our next choice midfielder, whoever that might have been. 

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

It isn't a case of people kicking off because we don't spend ££££££££'s on shiny new toys and flavour of the month jobs...

This is people absolutely fairly complaining because we have huge holes in the squad that people have been raising as concerns for a while.

The injury prone players adding nothing.

The ageing profile generally - i think we have one of if not the highest average ages for the squad in the league.

The lack of like for like depth and cover in some areas.....

The fact that we have 1 of our 9 midfielders who is considered at the prime age for a footballer is criminal - the fact that 1 player is Naby Keita makes it laughable - except it isn't funny.

We seem to have sleep walked into letting our squad grow old, stale, tired and often too many of it injured.

It is borderline negligent IMHO that we have not, especially from a position of strength that we have been in where we have been more attractive to players than we have been for decades, strengthened and refreshed and renewed our squad properly.

And all of those are happening when we have (arguably) the greatest defence and attack in the world right now, despite some of them not being on form. That is what pains a lot of us - an additional 50m spend on a midfielder might have sorted us out this season, less than 1/4th of what United spent, less than 1/5th of what Chelsea spent. 

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

FSG definitely deserve criticism.

However, choosing to spend big on an attacker when we realised Tchouaméni wasn't available was also a bad mistake. It was clear that midfield was already becoming a problem area for us before this season. 

That's no judgement on Nunez, by the way, who I think will do really well. We just prioritised the wrong area with our limited resources. Mane would still have gone but we could have kept Minamino and looked at an additional cheaper option. We'd be a more balanced squad now if we'd gone for our next choice midfielder, whoever that might have been. 

FSG deserve criticism for the same reasons you have stated - we have brought in so much revenue due to the success, we shouldn't have to worry about buying Nunez and a midfielder. 

And no, Minamino is not the answer for Mane.

47 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

And all of those are happening when we have (arguably) the greatest defence and attack in the world right now, despite some of them not being on form. That is what pains a lot of us - an additional 50m spend on a midfielder might have sorted us out this season, less than 1/4th of what United spent, less than 1/5th of what Chelsea spent. 

Not forgetting the negative impact that our negelected midfield has on that defence and attack....

We have to act in Jan - the amount of work needed to fix our midfield is not work that can be done in one window - it requires too much movement in and out and no side wants to be facilitating too much change all at once.

It should have started already of course, but that time has passed - so it has to start Jan and then continue in the summer and even next Jan if necessary.

53 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

FSG deserve criticism for the same reasons you have stated - we have brought in so much revenue due to the success, we shouldn't have to worry about buying Nunez and a midfielder. 

And no, Minamino is not the answer for Mane.

I agree with all of that, but I still think we could have cut our limited cloth better in the summer. Those responsible for transfers were surely aware that it was either a top quality midfielder or a top quality attacker. They surely knew what the upper limit of their (unacceptably meagre) budget was?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I agree with all of that, but I still think we could have cut our limited cloth better in the summer. Those responsible for transfers were surely aware that it was either a top quality midfielder or a top quality attacker. They surely knew what the upper limit of their (unacceptably meagre) budget was?

Fuck knows mate.

One minute it was the lad from Monaco, next minute it was 'we are waiting for the right player'. Then it is 'we have enough midfielders' followed by 'we need to take more risk' followed by Arthur appearing with his bandaged body. 

Most likely similar thing will happen next summer - just with Bellingham instead of the Monaco lad.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I wonder firstly how much Klopp pushed (and does generally) to clear out the shit in central midfield and/or how willing the number crunchers are/were to accept that we aren't getting exactly what we think Keita/Chamberlain/et al are worth. 

My impression is that Klopp isn't ruthless enough with the turds and that the gimps above him aren't willing to just fuck people off. We seem to take too individual an approach to transfers, ignoring what it does to the squad as a whole and also the effect it will have on our success (financially as well). So we decide player A is worth £15m and therefore rather than sell him for £12m and move on, we wait. Potentially blocking the path of another player, or preventing us from addressing a hole in the squad, or simply not finishing as high in the league as we should. We occasionally get Bournemouth to give us twelve trillion quid for a league one player which we think entirely justifies our tactic.

Players coming in also seems to take a perfection, or what we consider it to be, or nothing approach. Yeah, it would be sound if we sign or had already signed Bellingham or that lad at Real Madrid, but it isn't happening. So sign the next tier down. There are still dozens of midfielders in the world that would offer considerably more than the shite we have beyond the best two or three. We can't just pretend that because it worked with VVD and Alisson that it always will. 

It's tedious because we're getting left behind. Even with these owners being minge bags I don't think we're using the resources they do allow us to use particularly well. Klopp is almost certainly rethinking his patient approach too, because whether he likes it or not (and whether or not it's fair - and it probably isn't), it's reflecting badly on him.

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Even after a great season continuous improvement is mandatory (Madrid buying that lad from Monaco), it was even more critical after we lost the 2 big ones last season. Whilst it can be argued that no one expected us to be this shit (I certainly didn't), it still doesn't excuse for the lack of at least 1 midfielder.

We knew all the issues - Keita being useless, Milner is too old, Henderson getting slower, Thiago being injury prone, Ox is broken but for whatever reason (Klopp included) the club thought we had enough in that department. To then get someone like Arthur it just a piss take. 

From an accounting perspective we probably reached the limit for the year but its a question of risk appetite - almost any other top club in the world would have recognised the bad need of midfielders and would have taken some risk. I think we are in a bit of a pickle right now - we have far too many players on huge wages and with FSG's lack of risk appetite I don't think we will spend a lot anytime soon.

I think hitting a limit was exactly what happened. What was our net spend in the end?

I cannot see it being any bigger next summer, inspite of what we need. Arguably with fewer saleable assets (and no CL) it will be significantly less. Reduced revenues will no doubt with a consistent wage bill will be used as "prudent" reasons to justify the approach. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I got bored about half way through that. It's interesting the echo say all this with hindsight..yet pretty much all fans were saying it in the summer. 

Dunno about king of Scottie, king of Westminster is closer the mark. I had a bevvy with him about a year ago and he was absolutely scathing of FSG. He made me feel I quite like them. 

That is the most annoying aspect, no doubt we will hear the "well everyone is wise with the benefit of hindsight" crap rolled out as they all conveniently forget the warnings from the fanbase over a considerable period of time. 

Just getting ready for them skirting over the huge risks they took in the summer and just moaning that the club just cannot afford to do much now. 

20 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Fuck knows mate.

One minute it was the lad from Monaco, next minute it was 'we are waiting for the right player'. Then it is 'we have enough midfielders' followed by 'we need to take more risk' followed by Arthur appearing with his bandaged body. 

Most likely similar thing will happen next summer - just with Bellingham instead of the Monaco lad.

Klopp: 'I see you're dressing up as a mummy for Halowe'en, Arthur'

Arthur: ' - '

13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I wonder firstly how much Klopp pushed (and does generally) to clear out the shit in central midfield and/or how willing the number crunchers are/were to accept that we aren't getting exactly what we think Keita/Chamberlain/et al are worth. 

My impression is that Klopp isn't ruthless enough with the turds and that the gimps above him aren't willing to just fuck people off. We seem to take too individual an approach to transfers, ignoring what it does to the squad as a whole and also the effect it will have on our success (financially as well). So we decide player A is worth £15m and therefore rather than sell him for £12m and move on, we wait. Potentially blocking the path of another player, or preventing us from addressing a hole in the squad, or simply not finishing as high in the league as we should. We occasionally get Bournemouth to give us twelve trillion quid for a league one player which we think entirely justifies our tactic.

Players coming in also seems to take a perfection, or what we consider it to be, or nothing approach. Yeah, it would be sound if we sign or had already signed Bellingham or that lad at Real Madrid, but it isn't happening. So sign the next tier down. There are still dozens of midfielders in the world that would offer considerably more than the shite we have beyond the best two or three. We can't just pretend that because it worked with VVD and Alisson that it always will. 

It's tedious because we're getting left behind. Even with these owners being minge bags I don't think we're using the resources they do allow us to use particularly well. Klopp is almost certainly rethinking his patient approach too, because whether he likes it or not (and whether or not it's fair - and it probably isn't), it's reflecting badly on him.

I also think the club thought that because signing Alisson instead of Fekir worked out well, 'player' rather than 'position' is a solid policy and would have worked similarly with Nunez instead of Tchouameni. The midfield stuff has been bizarre, and has weakened us everywhere. (Still no slight on Nunez intended, I like him.) 

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

In the 7 years Klopp has been here he's sold just 5 players that be bought himself,  4 if you count Solanke as a club investment signing. Those 4 are Sadio, Shaqiri, Grugic and Minamino. A couple of others left for free.

The evidence is there that he respects the agreement entered into by the club and the player. While we are banging are heads of the wall asking why Naby is still here he is looking at himself and blaming himself for not getting the most out of the player. What makes him such a great man is also one of his biggest flaws, he lacks the cuntishness needed to football manager.

His record at Dortmund isn't that dissimilar, he respects the right for the player to see out his part of the deal. Its Klopp, not FSG or Edwards making decisions on Ox, its his way of managing. 

When his career is over Guardiola and Ferguson will be streets ahead of Klopp in trophies but Jurgen will be able to look every single one of his players in the eye and say I done everything I could for you. The other 2 have players than have bleed for them that wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. I guess the moral of the story is we need to accept some lean years in order to share the experiences with the great man.

• Upvote 2

Fans said the same thing before our defensive issues last time the only reason they wouldn't be able to see it is because they are actively looking the other way. All fsg give a shit about is money, if they own a chicken farm they will have the same emotional input into that as they do us. Liverpool football club is a spreadsheet. You don't leave hundreds of millions in the bank that's dumb as shit, you buy something that will retain its value or increase with minimal cost. The club will never ever sell for the value they have put on it but they don't care its a secure savings account they will all sell their own shares in FSG bit by bit. We will have FSG owning us in 10 years but probably all different people.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

In the 7 years Klopp has been here he's sold just 5 players that be bought himself,  4 if you count Solanke as a club investment signing. Those 4 are Sadio, Shaqiri, Grugic and Minamino. A couple of others left for free.

The evidence is there that he respects the agreement entered into by the club and the player. While we are banging are heads of the wall asking why Naby is still here he is looking at himself and blaming himself for not getting the most out of the player. What makes him such a great man is also one of his biggest flaws, he lacks the cuntishness needed to football manager.

His record at Dortmund isn't that dissimilar, he respects the right for the player to see out his part of the deal. Its Klopp, not FSG or Edwards making decisions on Ox, its his way of managing. 

When his career is over Guardiola and Ferguson will be streets ahead of Klopp in trophies but Jurgen will be able to look every single one of his players in the eye and say I done everything I could for you. The other 2 have players than have bleed for them that wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. I guess the moral of the story is we need to accept some lean years in order to share the experiences with the great man.

Good post. 

Except that Klopp himself gets paid lots and lots of money and has a duty to win trophies for us. He has clearly won a lot but can win lot more if he gets a little more practical and cut throat. For e.g. Milner is past it, he should recognise that and move him to coaching team. Keita has not cut it here and therefore what is the point in persisting with him? Letting him go will most likely be better for Keita and the club. Great leaders needs to be ruthless and accept mistakes. 

Great man like him deserve to win more. 

I can’t believe we’re talking about not finishing in the top 4. 6 points off and we’re playing our worse football of the season early. It’s not getting worse than this right now, we look fucked but this is a team that is always capable of putting an unbeatable run together. I think what we’re getting is a longer drawn out version of Klopp introducing the mega high line and offside trap a couple of years ago and us getting mullered by Aston Villa. He’ll persist with his tactical changes until the players get it right. We’re just playing so shit that the reality of whatever these changes are are to far removed from what he wants us to do that no one can see the end game in what we’re trying to achieve. I suspect it involves conserving more energy and drawing teams towards our goal to give the four forwards more space on the counter. It just doesn’t work if we draw teams towards our goal and let them score every other shot.