You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Just now, J-V said:

It would cost £200 just for Rice and Bellingham.  We may get Caicedo the other two we won't due to the fees involved.

Was reading one of the German journos saying Bellingham’s available for £75m next summer. You’d defo get Rice for that and the rumours were that we offered £40m for Caceido in the summer but left it too late for Brighton to get a replacement. 

Just now, waddy78 said:

This might sound abit "out there" but I think we should just sell all our shit players and injury prone ones and buy boss players who don't get injured opening a tin of beans.

They’ll all get new 5 year contracts here in January 

Once Mbappe stays at PSG and Bellingham goes to Real Madrid or City the FSG gobbling journos will have to think up another unattainable target.

My money is on Valverde. Ticks all the boxes.

No chance Real Madrid sell him;

Too expensive;

Wages will be off the chart;

Been vaguely linked with him previously;

We will be out of the top 4 and can't attract players of his calibre. 

3 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Once Mbappe stays at PSG and Bellingham goes to Real Madrid or City the FSG gobbling journos will have to think up another unattainable target.

My money is on Valverde. Ticks all the boxes.

No chance Real Madrid sell him;

Too expensive;

Wages will be off the chart;

Been vaguely linked with him previously;

We will be out of the top 4 and can't attract players of his calibre. 

we'll just be linked with yet another supposedly once in a lifetime talent who isn't quite available this year, but we are keeping our powder dry for them. 

That young Dortmund striker looks the business and on a free would be even better.

Just hope a few very savvy signings like him don't give a positive pr spin for FSG to take the eyes of not making a real go at signing the likes of Caicedo and Bellingham. This is our biggest summer in years and they need to deliver with big funds. If they don't, I could see Jurgen moving on someone like Mo and gathering a few quid from the likes of Curtis Jones to get a few really good players in and you know what, you would back him turning water into wine any day of the week. The world cup will give him even more time to think about some of those potentially brilliant lads out there that might fly under the radar like the Georgian lad before he went to Napoli. They are out there.

I've said it before the real issues will be when he moves on. Pep is brilliant. Ancelloti is brilliant. Jurgen is the best in the world.

I can see a lot of good things FSG have done, but their model gets top 4 every five years when Jurgen leaves because City, Newcastle, United andChelsea will always spend huge amounts and Arsenal and Spurs have the London attraction and currently really good players and very good managers. 

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

That young Dortmund striker looks the business and on a free would be even better.

Just hope a few very savvy signings like him don't give a positive pr spin for FSG to take the eyes of not making a real go at signing the likes of Caicedo and Bellingham. This is our biggest summer in years and they need to deliver with big funds. If they don't, I could see Jurgen moving on someone like Mo and gathering a few quid from the likes of Curtis Jones to get a few really good players in and you know what, you would back him turning water into wine any day of the week. The world cup will give him even more time to think about some of those potentially brilliant lads out there that might fly under the radar like the Georgian lad before he went to Napoli. They are out there.

I've said it before the real issues will be when he moves on. Pep is brilliant. Ancelloti is brilliant. Jurgen is the best in the world.

I can see a lot of good things FSG have done, but their model gets top 4 every five years when Jurgen leaves because City, Newcastle, United andChelsea will always spend huge amounts and Arsenal and Spurs have the London attraction and currently really good players and very good managers. 

Rumours already starting that we have lost ground on Bellingham , the leaks begin.

20 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Rumours already starting that we have lost ground on Bellingham , the leaks begin.

Thing about Bellingham is, he is more that a terrific young player, he seems to be a great lad from what you hear. Even FSG should see that he is a shrewd signing. His value will only go up so if in five years time, he fancied a challenge, Real or whoever will be interested.

If we get top 4, there is no excuse barring him wanting to play for Real or City that we can't have a huge chance of getting him.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Thing about Bellingham is, he is more that a terrific young player, he seems to be a great lad from what you hear. Even FSG should see that he is a shrewd signing. His value will only go up so if in five years time, he fancied a challenge, Real or whoever will be interested.

If we get top 4, there is no excuse barring him wanting to play for Real or City that we can't have a huge chance of getting him.

We’ll match the transfer fees, it’s the wages we won’t go near. I reckon that’s what klopp was really meaning when he mentioned not being able to compete with the sportswashers last week. 

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as us being able to sell him on for a profit. If we sign him for £100m and he just becomes a ‘good’ PL centre mid, there’s no chance of the likes of Real coming back throwing money around. 

5 minutes ago, aws said:

If we really do have £100m or so to invest in midfield then I think we need two £40-50m players more than we need Bellingham. 

You know what, that is a good point. If we have more than that, get Bellingham and another but we need more than him.

Being honest, you would trust Jurgen to buy two 30 million midfielders and them to be world class within 12 months.

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We’ll match the transfer fees, it’s the wages we won’t go near. I reckon that’s what klopp was really meaning when he mentioned not being able to compete with the sportswashers last week. 

Possibly right there Red. Problem is others will and that is when we get left behind, regardless of Jurgen. The Red Mancs or Chelsea will offer him the sun, moon and stars and eventually Newcaslte come on the scene too, so even if City bag Bellingham, those three are in with the chance of bagging the next Bellingham or equivalent standout player.

He pays for himself. As I said, great player and seems to be a great lad. Will probably bring in a shitload in terms of marketing in the coming years so as someone like Mo becomes less marketable, he could be that player - I hate that shit btw but from a financial point of view it is a no brainer.

13 minutes ago, aws said:

If we really do have £100m or so to invest in midfield then I think we need two £40-50m players more than we need Bellingham. 

Yep. One player, no matter how good, cannot plug all the holes in that midfield. If anything, it'd be a waste putting someone like Bellingham in our current set up, as we wouldn't see the best of him.

We need two solid midfielders. They don't have to be generational talents, just decent players who can handle lots of games. Klopp can build around that.

One in January, one in the summer please John.