You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I don’t understand why we overlooked Nunes he’s exactly what we need, Caicedo as well who was excellent today against Spurs. 
Why are we even surprised that Arthur got injured, flat out sessions trying to get up to speed so it’s no shock.

Another fucking disaster loanee just like the other pair last time round.

6 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

What a player Bruno Guimarães looks as well, it’s actually fucking sickening the amount out there that would improve that shit show in midfield yet we haven’t bothered because we are waiting 2 years for a player that isn’t going to join us anyway, it’s depressing.

The thing is across the world of football there are probably more than 100 midfielders who would be big improvements on Elliot and milner who have been predictable major contributors this season. It's a fucking nonsense to suggest there's only Tchouaméni and Bellingham in world football who can contribute. Obviously we don't want to spend 100m on some average Joe, but as clubs have shown consistently, there are plenty of players in the market for not ridiculous fees. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is across the world of football there are probably more than 100 midfielders who would be big improvements on Elliot and milner who have been predictable major contributors this season. It's a fucking nonsense to suggest there's only Tchouaméni and Bellingham in world football who can contribute. Obviously we don't want to spend 100m on some average Joe, but as clubs have shown consistently, there are plenty of players in the market for not ridiculous fees. 

Spot on.

We need 3 or 4 midfielders who can run fast, tackle, pass the ball and stay fit. There's no reason that any of them should cost £100m

23 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Spot on.

We need 3 or 4 midfielders who can run fast, tackle, pass the ball and stay fit. There's no reason that any of them should cost £100m

I get where you are both coming from. The flip side to that is instead of holding out for VVD, we could have gone for Laporte, Koulibaly, Gimenez or Davison Sanchez. 

All very good players, none of them are VVD. 

7 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

I don’t understand why we overlooked Nunes he’s exactly what we need, Caicedo as well who was excellent today against Spurs. 

Is Caicedo more of a holding player?

Seemed that way at Anfield last week (I thought he had a good game). 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The bit that gets me is the way everything is spun in the media. 

For 3-4 years you couldn't move for articles about how great our recruitment team was and how they identify gems using data, how they continually look to improve every position all the time. Constant succession planning, database of players, shortlist upon shortlist of players. 

Now "Only Bellingham and Tchouameni will do"

Nothing on any of the rest of it. No critical journalism over how it's been allowed to happen in light of all of the above. Just chat about "huge wage bill" while in the next articles "record breaking revenues" and "Club showed how smart they were by getting Salah to agree to incentivised deal" .

Radio silence on the rest of it.

The journos are completely complicit in all this. Had they not banged on about how fucking great the club were at all the things that would have mitigated this epic fuck up only now to ignore it completely it wouldn't be quite as bloody annoying. 

Everything has just turned binary as well.  "What would you rather have a rigidly self sufficient club or Oil barons?" cause apparently there is nothing in between or "we cannot afford to spend £200m-300m a summer like City".

Most fans were asking us to spend more modest amounts each summer for exactly that reason. We knew we cannot afford to do that and more significantly FSG won't do that. What did we get back? Paddy Power fucking videos from the "wise" fans.  

Don't worry though, the wise people have supposedly now worked out its not really on FSG because Jürgen has gone stale and our mentality monsters have a shit attitude. 

Anyway, sorry, realise that this is just groundhog Day from me so will log off and get positive to get ready to cheer the lads on later!

• Upvote 1

Just seen a worrying stat on sky sports (i know they are bell ends) but weve gon from the youngest average age in the premier league 4 years ago to the 18th average age in the league, which just shows 1st how successful we've been in that time that the same players remain here but more worryingly the lack of investment in that time in allowing the squad to age without freshening it up with quality.

9 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

Just seen a worrying stat on sky sports (i know they are bell ends) but weve gon from the youngest average age in the premier league 4 years ago to the 18th average age in the league, which just shows 1st how successful we've been in that time that the same players remain here but more worryingly the lack of investment in that time in allowing the squad to age without freshening it up with quality.

The thing is a lot of our players are good ages. We just seem to have completely given up on refreshing the midfield. The keepers, full backs, centre backs and now with Nunez, Jota and Diaz, the forwards, is all good. It's just midfield. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is a lot of our players are good ages. We just seem to have completely given up on refreshing the midfield. The keepers, full backs, centre backs and now with Nunez, Jota and Diaz, the forwards, is all good. It's just midfield. 

The two midfielders the club spent nearly 100 mil on are the good age. They just stink.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

This is spot on, and the reason it’s not too complicated to fix. If Klopp is backed to get new players in that is, and also willing to get rid of the likes of Ox, Keita, Milner, Henderson and probably Jones as well.

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's as clear cut as the centre backs in the covid season. 

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The two midfielders the club spent nearly 100 mil on are the good age. They just stink.

Who's the two, keita and Chamberlain I assume? If so, as I said loads of times, that's ok too..some transfers don't work, some players get injured and never recover. The skill is just to deal with the situation..it will always happen and is just a cost of doing business.  Got rid and move on. We're choosing to settle for players who just shouldn't be here. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Who's the two, keita and Chamberlain I assume? If so, as I said loads of times, that's ok too..some transfers don't work, some players get injured and never recover. The skill is just to deal with the situation..it will always happen and is just a cost of doing business.  Got rid and move on. We're choosing to settle for players who just shouldn't be here. 

I've said it before but we should have just accepted the best offers on the table for those two this summer and just signed one player to replace them. Even an average level player such as a Ward- Prowse would have been a major improvement.