You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as us being able to sell him on for a profit. If we sign him for £100m and he just becomes a ‘good’ PL centre mid, there’s no chance of the likes of Real coming back throwing money around. 

Fair point Captain, but I don't see this lad just being a good player. We took a punt in that market years ago with Hendo and he became a very good player for us over time - not lately obviously. Gini was maybe somewhere between good and very good before he signed for us and again that came off big time. Fabinho was really good in France, but was far less talked about than Keita. One of those interesting signings that came off to the point at one stage Fabinho would be in or around a world eleven imo.

Bellingham gets to Gerrard, Keane or Vieira levels of midfield brilliance for me. No one touches Souness because I'm an old timer.

3 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Rumours that Michael Edwards has agreed to join Utd.

Great move for him - ambitious club, willing to spend plenty of money to reclaim their spot. 

I don’t for a second believe the PR line about him wanting to leave us because not sticking around indefinitely was part of his plan.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

You know what, that is a good point. If we have more than that, get Bellingham and another but we need more than him.

Being honest, you would trust Jurgen to buy two 30 million midfielders and them to be world class within 12 months.

Possibly right there Red. Problem is others will and that is when we get left behind, regardless of Jurgen. The Red Mancs or Chelsea will offer him the sun, moon and stars and eventually Newcaslte come on the scene too, so even if City bag Bellingham, those three are in with the chance of bagging the next Bellingham or equivalent standout player.

He pays for himself. As I said, great player and seems to be a great lad. Will probably bring in a shitload in terms of marketing in the coming years so as someone like Mo becomes less marketable, he could be that player - I hate that shit btw but from a financial point of view it is a no brainer.

This is where I’m dubious about our wage bill being on a par with city and utd. Up till the last lot of figures I’d say we had only Mo & Virgil on over £200k per week with Thiago not far behind. Yet utd and city’s players have a lot more on £300+

Before anyone piles on, I’m not talking about whether utd get value for money for their yard dogs. I’m comparing our declared wage outgoings to there’s being roughly the same yet the 1st team squads are incomparable. 

Our earnings are not far off theirs the past few seasons and according to rumour, we might overtake them on the next set of books yet we keep getting told we haven’t got a pot to piss in.

FSG could easily blow £300m on us the next 2 windows and it wouldn’t make them lose a wink of sleep with the money they generate. 

We are the football model for Tory austerity. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Think we will go after the lad at Benfica that plays alongside Fernandez next summer and gloss over any questions about his availability to this. Plenty of articles about that being the smart money Vs Bellingham. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Thing about Bellingham is, he is more that a terrific young player, he seems to be a great lad from what you hear. Even FSG should see that he is a shrewd signing. His value will only go up so if in five years time, he fancied a challenge, Real or whoever will be interested.

If we get top 4, there is no excuse barring him wanting to play for Real or City that we can't have a huge chance of getting him.

I don't think you can buy footballers like Bellingham and assume his value would go up. We're tight wads and even if we managed to persuade him to join intially, there's nothing to say he would be sure to sign a new contract. From a business point of view, all you can assume is his value decreases with every passing year. Especially when the initial fee would be so high. 

47 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Rumours that Michael Edwards has agreed to join Utd.

If true, will be interesting (and possibly infuriating) to see how this works out. 

On the one side he is lauded for his role in our success. On the other people forget that he was here in his role for quite a while before Klopp and was also, supposedly heavily involved in the Van Dijk cock up. 

One train of thought also says that he was responsible for future proofing our squad and hasn't. Albeit perhaps, if he does speak, it may become apparent that his desire to do that was frustrated by our owners and a big reason for him going (as far as he can safely say with confidentiality agreements). 

Majorly disappointing anyone from our club should join that club. He surely knows the animosity between the 2 clubs, the fact united blocked the transfer of Heinze to us and even said in the courtcase 'We dont do business with that club (Liverpool).'

Yeah, he made some mistakes with transfers but he made more good ones than bad ones and was instrumental is ending us taking a pittance when selling them to at least getting a decent wedge.

Worra cunt though.

The rumours I've seen from scouts on twitter seem to suggest that Edwards was increasingly disagreeing with Klopp about the first team squad and that contributed to his departure. Specifically about not being allowed to sell players who he thought were past it (Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum) and allowing some players to run their contracts down (Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum again).

Usually I'd just ignore twitter rumours but these are from people who actually work in the game. Still could be bollocks though, there's probably a million reasons he wanted to move on.

13 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've already burnt my Edwards shirt.

Based on the power it had on the ESL, if you had done it in a car park in Leeds you may have got him to return to the club.

You never know though, maybe its typical Edwards 4D chess move. 

Next week announces a return from his sabbatical and everybody needs to go out and buy a new shirt. 

19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The rumours I've seen from scouts on twitter seem to suggest that Edwards was increasingly disagreeing with Klopp about the first team squad and that contributed to his departure. Specifically about not being allowed to sell players who he thought were past it (Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum) and allowing some players to run their contracts down (Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum again).

Usually I'd just ignore twitter rumours but these are from people who actually work in the game. Still could be bollocks though, there's probably a million reasons he wanted to move on.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in them not getting on really well. The Athletic said as much when Ward took over. You also wonder if it had any impact on Jurgen signing his new deal.