You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

33 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

If there's anything in the Mbappe rumours....

Well, we can't afford £300m or whatever it is PSG want, but we can offer players. 

Salah

Fabinho

Van Dijk

Would you let all 3 go to PSG in exchange for Mbappe? 

I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club now. We have enough drama without his issues every window.

21 minutes ago, aws said:

I’d prefer to buy three decent players than buy Mbappe. 

Sure, but I think PSG would prefer to get top names in exchange for him. 

We're in a position where there seems to be some inertia among our top earners, perhaps we've all become a bit too familiar.  PSG can pay them their current wages, or better.  

We can't buy players until we sell a few.  Then we can talk about buying 3 new ones. 

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club now. We have enough drama without his issues every window.

Is right.

Would be same shite every time we weren't top of league or in a great position in europe - "Mabppe wants out, Real Madrid are preparing a bid" blah blah blah.

Seems to be letting his ego run away with himself as well now.

12 hours ago, an tha said:

It isn't a case of people kicking off because we don't spend ££££££££'s on shiny new toys and flavour of the month jobs...

This is people absolutely fairly complaining because we have huge holes in the squad that people have been raising as concerns for a while.

The injury prone players adding nothing.

The ageing profile generally - i think we have one of if not the highest average ages for the squad in the league.

The lack of like for like depth and cover in some areas.....

The fact that we have 1 of our 9 midfielders who is considered at the prime age for a footballer is criminal - the fact that 1 player is Naby Keita makes it laughable - except it isn't funny.

We seem to have sleep walked into letting our squad grow old, stale, tired and often too many of it injured.

It is borderline negligent IMHO that we have not, especially from a position of strength that we have been in where we have been more attractive to players than we have been for decades, strengthened and refreshed and renewed our squad properly.

I typed this hours ago, but I don't think anything has changed since then! 

We've the 18th oldest squad in the league. I do wonder if we've looked at the success Madrid have had with an ageing squad and thought we could replicate it. But this isn't Spain and our game is about intensity as our main lijnders is all too happy to remind us. It's just logical that midfield can't be full of a) older players and b) kids who have no idea how to cover space, so they can run as much as they like, but if they don't know where and when to run, you're fucked.

I honestly think we have 3 credible midfield options, Henderson, fab & thiago with an average age over 30. I'm glad Curtis is back although the pressure on him to achieve might be more than ever. But it is time for him to deliver. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

This is our guy, get him in. 

C533577B-71E5-445D-A9FD-D57212940194.jpeg

E6860953-EFDD-43D4-8E19-F3638E193D19.jpeg

3 months in to a 5 year contract. Big miss for us him, he plays like Klopp’s perfect forward. Understandable when we had just signed Diaz but it goes to show how many brilliant players are knocking about on the periphery of the major European teams so lack of availability should never be an excuse.

Between now and next summer IMO in midfield we need 3 in.....at least 1 of them in Jan.

Oxlade, Keita, Milner all gone in summer - so replacements required.

Henderson should be downgraded to job Milner does now.

Go into next season with:

Thiago

New player 

New player

New player

Fabinho

Jones

Elliott

Henderson

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Between now and next summer IMO in midfield we need 3 in.....at least 1 of them in Jan.

Oxlade, Keita, Milner all gone in summer - so replacements required.

Henderson should be downgraded to job Milner does now.

Go into next season with:

Thiago

New player 

New player

New player

Fabinho

Jones

Elliott

Henderson

If we continue with two 6s in midfield then 2 new midfielders is plenty.

Over the next 3/4 years, assuming the younger players will still be around, we will need

2 x CBs to replace Matip & Virgil

1 x LB to replace Robbo

4 x midfielders to replace all

2 forwards to replace Bobby & Mo.

2 new midfielders, one in January and another next summer transforms the team/squad in the short term.

13 minutes ago, Razoray said:

If we continue with two 6s in midfield then 2 new midfielders is plenty.

Over the next 3/4 years, assuming the younger players will still be around, we will need

2 x CBs to replace Matip & Virgil

1 x LB to replace Robbo

4 x midfielders to replace all

2 forwards to replace Bobby & Mo.

2 new midfielders, one in January and another next summer transforms the team/squad in the short term.

What we need to do more than anything is ensure we make the required changes to rest of squad progressively and in a phased manner - instead of how we have sleep walked into where we are now in midfield.....midfield is of course now urgent.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Seemed to be getting linked to Zaha on a free in the summer. Be a good squad addition imo. He's no world beater but would be a good option from the bench and for domestic cups etc. Classed as Home grown aswell

Fuck that. The wages he’d want too,  One of the most overrated players of the last 10 years. Shite. There’s a reason he went back to Palace & stayed there. 

4 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Fuck that. The wages he’d want too,  One of the most overrated players of the last 10 years. Shite. There’s a reason he went back to Palace & stayed there. 

He's been a 1 in 3 goalscorer for the past 5 years. And that's been playing under Hodgson and being the only real threat they've had and not being the regular pen taker. We will ned home grown players and some squad additions and he's more than good enough to do that on a free transfer. Obviously depends on money but we can see how short we are in proper wide players now. Money needs spent on the midfield so finding cheap squad players will help. 

I think we only see a 1 in 1 out routine, so the question is if we were really interested, who would go to make room? It seems to me 2 possibilities. The first is he's a replacement for Bobby if his situation isn't sorted out. The second is if we're serious long term with this 4 forwards idea, as we're seeing at the moment, we probably need another one. So he perhaps replaces Chamberlain and we go one lighter in midfield. 

He would be an underwhelming signing. He would be very underwhelming replacing Bobby. It would feel less so replacing Chamberlain.