You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

That's a caricature though. If I went in fancy dress as Jim McDonald I'd at least try and attempt his accent, there'd be a big difference between that and going as the 1920s caricature of an Irishman that used to be depicted on posters resembling something between a man and a chimp.

If you dress as Winston from Ghostbusters that's genuine affection for a heroic character in a classic film. Same as if you went as black panther - my mate's kid is white and he's his favourite super hero, what would be wrong with that?

Yes but if a black guy wanted to dress as say superman or batman they wouldn't "white" up would they; they would just put the uniform outfit on wouldn't they.

Also where people are saying they aren't intending to cause offence is akin to institutional racism or the casual racism that we had back in the day and today but to a lesser extent.  It is the little bits of subtle racism that people of colour they would endure on a daily basis that would cause huge offence.

43 minutes ago, Kloppite said:

Yes but if a black guy wanted to dress as say superman or batman they wouldn't "white" up would they; they would just put the uniform outfit on wouldn't they.

Also where people are saying they aren't intending to cause offence is akin to institutional racism or the casual racism that we had back in the day and today but to a lesser extent.  It is the little bits of subtle racism that people of colour they would endure on a daily basis that would cause huge offence.

Maybe they would maybe they wouldn't. What if it was a black group and one of them was white? For that black kid to be distinguishable as that particular character the black kid would probably have to white up.

I actually think the opposite is true, I think people making a meal out of this are imposing their own idea of what racism is and isn't.

I'd be staggered, genuinely staggered, if a kid born into this society in the last few years went dressed as Winston from Ghostbusters did it with any intentions that weren't completely innocent.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Maybe they would maybe they wouldn't. What if it was a black group and one of them was white? For that black kid to be distinguishable as that particular character the black kid would probably have to white up.

I actually think the opposite is true, I think people making a meal out of this are imposing their own idea of what racism is and isn't.

I'd be staggered, genuinely staggered, if a kid born into this society in the last few years went dressed as Winston from Ghostbusters did it with any intentions that weren't completely innocent.

That is my point it isn't people doing it with the intention of being racist or even intending to cause offence.

On a deeper level the reason it causes offence is because when white people black up it is insulting because actual black people don't actually look like white people with black boot polish on their faces.  You could also compare it to someone who wasn't gay doing an impersonation of a gay person and acting very camp; or a non disabled person doing an impersonation of someone who was disabled.  Actual gay people and disabled people would say they don't behave like that and that it was insulting wouldn't they and that is why it is offensive to black people.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kloppite said:

That is my point it isn't people doing it with the intention of being racist or even intending to cause offence.

On a deeper level the reason it causes offence is because when white people black up it is insulting because actual black people don't actually look like white people with black boot polish on their faces.  You could also compare it to someone who wasn't gay doing an impersonation of a gay person and acting very camp; or a non disabled person doing an impersonation of someone who was disabled.  Actual gay people and disabled people would say they don't behave like that and that it was insulting wouldn't they and that is why it is offensive to black people.

So if anything it’s stereotyping and not racism then?

2 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Current fashion trend in Beijing is white-face. Young women (and some young men) wearing a light coat of white make-up. Nothing to do with race, as far as I could tell, but very very weird.

I don't think it's weird, it's no different to the birds in this country wearing fake tan. 

Over there darker skin is supposed to be a sign you are of a lower class.

Darker skin = out in the sun all day doing labouring. Light skin = indoors businessman. 

Just a culture thing. 

47 minutes ago, Brownie said:

So if anything it’s stereotyping and not racism then?

The police have a habit of using stop and search powers against blacks in the UK they presume that because they are black they are more likely to be involved in crime, isn't this stereotyping and as isn't this also racism?

11 minutes ago, Kloppite said:

The police have a habit of using stop and search powers against blacks in the UK they presume that because they are black they are more likely to be involved in crime, isn't this stereotyping and as isn't this also racism?

Can of worms that. What if you and your mates went out dressed as the Ghostbusters but only Winston got stopped? 

Then a big Stay Puft Dianne Abbot turned up and started standing on police cars? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Can of worms that. What if you and your mates went out dressed as the Ghostbusters but only Winston got stopped? 

Then a big Stay Puft Dianne Abbot turned up and started standing on police cars? 

You get my point though.  Also isn't it homophobic and not stereotyping to presume all gays act in a very extremely camp manner and are all very effeminate?

1 hour ago, Kloppite said:

If they are buying into a stereotype that black people are more likely to be criminals than white people, then it’s stereotyping. If they think that black people are inherently more likely to be criminals because their race is somehow inferior, then it leaps into racism.

You’d really have to know the person to understand if it was one thing or the other. 

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If they are buying into a stereotype that black people are more likely to be criminals than white people, then it’s stereotyping. If they think that black people are inherently more likely to be criminals because their race is somehow inferior, then it leaps into racism.

You’d really have to know the person to understand if it was one thing or the other. 

Yes but it is still racism, you have just basically repeated the same statement but worded it differently and said they aren't the same.

How about black people are more likely to be criminals than white people, then its racism.  

What you stated after that regarding blacks as a race being inferior is another form of racism.  

There is a word that generalises the stereotyping/discrimination etc. of blacks/Jews etc. and it is called racism in much the same way the generic term for the in proper treatment of gays is homophobia.

32 minutes ago, Kloppite said:

Yes but it is still racism, you have just basically repeated the same statement but worded it differently and said they aren't the same.

How about black people are more likely to be criminals than white people, then its racism.  

What you stated after that regarding blacks as a race being inferior is another form of racism.  

There is a word that generalises the stereotyping/discrimination etc. of blacks/Jews etc. and it is called racism in much the same way the generic term for the in proper treatment of gays is homophobia.

The actual definition of racism explicitly mentions the bit about superiority of race. It’s not another form of racism at all, it is the very definition of it.