You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What about Othello? Is the role now reserved for black actors only, or are productions now "colour-blind"? Presumably, you are not allowed to black up any more?

You're allowed, but you have to accept you'll be criticised.

Fun fact about Othello: the first black actor to play him on a British stage was Paul Robeson, 4 or 5 centuries after the play was written. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

But he's black? What's wrong with someone being black and someone trying to look like them by also being black?

Just the historical context of blacking up IMO. I personally, wouldn’t feel comfortable seeing kids squinting their eyes if they wanted to imitate their fav footballer Son Heung-Min for example despite not being of East Asian origin.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

By allowed, I mean, is it still done?

So, is it wrong, is it only for black actors, or should it be treated as colour-blind?

I'd have no qualms about a white  (or Asian or whatever) actor playing him, without the need to black up.  Even though the "otherness" of him being a Moor is a key part of his character, the audience's familiarity with Shakespeare means, in my opinion (other opinions are available) it's OK to experiment with the casting. I've seen women playing Hamlet, Prospero and Richard II, so why not?

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

The irony of Darius changing his surname from Danesh to Campbell to disguise his ethnic roots shouldn't be lost here.

I looked at his wiki. His name was Darius Campbell-Danesh. He dropped the Campbell on X-Factor. 

The I saw it. The cunt was married to Natasha Henstridge. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I looked at his wiki. His name was Darius Campbell-Danesh. He dropped the Campbell on X-Factor. 

The I saw it. The cunt was married to Natasha Henstridge. 

Correction, he was married to Natasha Campbell-Henstridge-Danesh.

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

He was always known as Darius Danesh on Pop Idol etc. I understand why he dropped the Iranian name for his mum's maiden name to try and break America. It's still a bit sad.

But his birth name was... fuck it. Can’t be bothered about arguing that cunt.