You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

I blacked up once in my cousins when I was about 11 or 12, fucked if I remember why but obviously it was for one ripping wheeze or other, anyway I used actual shoe polish, fuck me it took about three days to get it all off and I had a kipper on me like Alex Ferguson mid-rant for days, so if you must black up for fuck sake don’t use shoe polish.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I blacked up once in my cousins when I was about 11 or 12, fucked if I remember why but obviously it was for one ripping wheeze or other, anyway I used actual shoe polish, fuck me it took about three days to get it all off and I had a kipper on me like Alex Ferguson mid-rant for days, so if you must black up for fuck sake don’t use shoe polish.

Cherry Blossom over here

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

When I was about 11 or 12 I played a golliwog in a school Christmas play - complete with hilarious "yessah, massah Bwana" accent (which I kept forgetting to do until halfway through the sentence).

Different times, it's fair to say.

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

When I was about 11 or 12 I played a golliwog in a school Christmas play - complete with hilarious "yessah, massah Bwana" accent (which I kept forgetting to do until halfway through the sentence).

Just a bit, don’t know old you are but I’m 54 and I remember when I was a kid the N word was used in every day conversation without any thought at all. Crazy 

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Just a bit, don’t know old you are but I’m 54 and I remember when I was a kid the N word was used in every day conversation without any thought at all. Crazy 

I'm a year younger than you (you old bastard).

Another childhood favourite was putting a penny in the street and watching and waiting to laugh at anyone who picked it up: a game we called "Spot the Jew".

2 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Seriously?

I've spent a fair amount of time in Asia and they genuinely put white cream on their faces to appear more white. 

The fucking racist twats.

Yup, my mum is a dermatologist.. and she gets asked for whitening cream all the time. @Aventus got it right.. darker skin implies working class in south east ssia, and a lot of people unfortunately think being working class is something to be ashamed about. 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think you should still issue a full apology, just to be on the safe side. 

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Mate of mine has a golliwog suction toy in his car window. He stays in an affluent area of Edinburgh & a couple of times he's went to his car only to find posh people standing at the window complaining about it only to find that he's the owner of the car. He's black with a massive afro.

He has pictures of golliwogs all over his house too, I think he's subverting it or something, it's quite funny anyway.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Kloppite said:

The police have a habit of using stop and search powers against blacks in the UK they presume that because they are black they are more likely to be involved in crime, isn't this stereotyping and as isn't this also racism?

But what if it's a fact, that statistically a black guy is more likely to be a criminal? 

It can't be racism or stereotyping, it's just pattern recognition surely. 

They gave police extra stop and search powers to try and prevent knife crime. Knife crime went down but they were accused of abusing their powers to search too many black guys. 

So their powers were reduced, and now knife crime is higher than ever. 

If a black and white guy commit the same crime and the white has a more lenient punishment then that could be racism. (but I think gender bias is more of an issue in this case) 

But if the black guy is more likely to be carrying a knife and he's the one the officer chooses to search then it's hard to argue against the logic. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aventus said:

But what if it's a fact, that statistically a black guy is more likely to be a criminal? 

It can't be racism or stereotyping, it's just pattern recognition surely. 

They gave police extra stop and search powers to try and prevent knife crime. Knife crime went down but they were accused of abusing their powers to search too many black guys. 

So their powers were reduced, and now knife crime is higher than ever. 

If a black and white guy commit the same crime and the white has a more lenient punishment then that could be racism. (but I think gender bias is more of an issue in this case) 

But if the black guy is more likely to be carrying a knife and he's the one the officer chooses to search then it's hard to argue against the logic. 

More blacks are arrested because disproportionately more blacks are stopped and searched. It's institutional racism, not good policing.

Just now, skend04 said:

More blacks are arrested because disproportionately more blacks are stopped and searched. It's institutional racism, not good policing.

I doubt it exists but is there any statistic showing how many stops vs arrests and the demographics of those stopped? 

Might shed some light on the situation. 

I don't think it's inherently racist but I can see why it would be perceived as such. If someone wears blackface for a character or celebrity during halloween then clearly they're just trying to emulate that person as best as they could. It's no more racist than someone dressing up as Jesus or Zeus, etc.

If a production is asking white actors to wear blackface to drive home a point for historical accuracy, I would also argue it's not racist.

If someone were to wear blackface with a noose around their neck then sure I'd consider that racist. If a production would only take white actors to play black roles without a historical context I would probably say that's racist.

Context is what's important but I feel as though it's lost in these situations at this moment in time. I myself am of mixed racial background but neither of those are black (there may well be black in there, but I've not done one of those DNA tests and wouldn't because I don't trust that it's a truly "private" deal). My father is a Tejano, he is Mexican by blood as both of his parents were from Mexico but he was born in Texas. My mother is white American, I don't know much about our heritage other than her father was from Arkansas and I believe her mother was as well but my grandmother on her side died when I was 7 so I never heard that from her as it didn't come up in childhood interactions, it's just something I was told with the same "I think" attached (the two grandparents met one another in California). I've never found it racist for someone that isn't Mexican to wear a Sombrero or otherwise partake in activities, dress, etc. that are seen as "traditionally mexican". Especially for acting purposes or during times of the year where celebration dictates people wear costumes. I suppose that's the point though. Anything can be offensive if one allows it to be. If the intent is there then the vast majority of people will know it. If someone went the extra mile on their Jimi Hendrix costume then perhaps they should win the contest and we can all get back to enjoying ourselves.

• Upvote 1

I find it funny, not racist. There's also this new line of thinking where if "minorities" do it, it's not racist. I'm not sure it's made it across the pond yet but over here any minority can only be racist if they have power, and of course they don't because we're apparently the embodiment of the third reich so they can be prejudiced but not racist.

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm a year younger than you (you old bastard).

Another childhood favourite was putting a penny in the street and watching and waiting to laugh at anyone who picked it up: a game we called "Spot the Jew".

My brother had an uncanny ability for spotting coins on the ground, which gained him the nickname "Super Jew".

Different times indeed.