You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it racist for a white person to paint their face black/brown for fancy dress?

Bjornebye

Is it racist?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is it racist?

• Yes
    • No

28 minutes ago, Aventus said:

What if a white dog and a black dog wear racist costumes, are the dogs racist? 

Jessica Williams did a brilliant bit about racist dogs on the Daily Show a few years ago.  Fox News and that lot kept arguing that because the USA had a black President, American racism had been overcome. So, when it was reported that 100% of the people bitten by Police dogs in LA were black or Latino, it raised the obvious question "Why are dogs so racist?"

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Jessica Williams did a brilliant bit about racist dogs on the Daily Show a few years ago.  Fox News and that lot kept arguing that because the USA had a black President, American racism had been overcome. So, when it was reported that 100% of the people bitten by Police dogs in LA were black or Latino, it raised the obvious question "Why are dogs so racist?"

What colour were the dogs though?

22 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Just a bit, don’t know old you are but I’m 54 and I remember when I was a kid the N word was used in every day conversation without any thought at all. Crazy 

Narrative?

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I appreciate it's trendy these days for right-on white people to claim cuntery only goes one way, but there is absolutely a long history of white people being oppressed, traded as slaves etc by people of colour.

The Jews played their part in the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

I'm sure there are periods of history and geographical areas where white people may have been oppressed but it sure as hell isn't in the 21st century "west". I do not buy any notion that making fun of black people is the same as white people especially when it's poor little whiteys complaining about it.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'm sure there are periods of history and geographical areas where white people may have been oppressed but it sure as hell isn't in the 21st century "west". I do not buy any notion that making fun of black people is the same as white people especially when it's poor little whiteys complaining about it.

A massive majority of 21st century slaves are in China, Pakistan, and India. 

Maybe its the "poor little blackies" that need to stop complaining about it, anybody would think they are the only ones ever affected by it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Maybe its the "poor little blackies" that need to stop complaining about it, anybody would think they are the only ones ever affected by it. 

What the fuck are you on about?

18 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Please be satire. Please be satire.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Kloppite said:

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. As of the 2000s, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition!

That’s obviously the opinion of whoever wrote that. You can’t argue with the official definition of something though. You just can’t.

If you stereotype a black person it doesn’t automatically mean you’re racist.

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Obviously they did, as did just about everyone else. Singling them out has become a bit of an antisemitic trope, of course.

People are well within their rights to criticise Jews, as with any other group with power, without it being labelled anti-semitic.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Obviously they did, as did just about everyone else. Singling them out has become a bit of an antisemitic trope, of course.

Commie Hades was much more fun than Fascist Hades.

This new character is one of my least favourite fictional creations.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Hades said:

People are well within their rights to criticise Jews, as with any other group with power, without it being labelled anti-semitic.

People are well wihin their rights to do unequivocally anti-Semitic stuff without it being labelled anti-Semitic. 

Obviously. 

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

That’s obviously the opinion of whoever wrote that. You can’t argue with the official definition of something though. You just can’t.

If you stereotype a black person it doesn’t automatically mean you’re racist.

I understand where you are coming from i.e. are people being racist or are they just conforming to stereotypes.  I also believe though that you can also be a racist without thinking or believing you are superior to someone.  

That was taken from a Wikipedia page while I believe you took your quote from the dictionary.

My point is though if you went around calling people a n'''r could you use as a defence that you didn't believe you are superior to the individual you are calling a n'''r.

2 minutes ago, Kloppite said:

I understand where you are coming from i.e. are people being racist or are they just conforming to stereotypes.  I also believe though that you can also be a racist without thinking or believing you are superior to someone.  

That was taken from a Wikipedia page while I believe you took your quote from the dictionary.

My point is though if you went around calling people a n'''r could you use as a defence that you didn't believe you are superior to the individual you are calling a n'''r.

Of course not. The whole point of the word n****r is that those called it are considered as almost non human and are defined by their skin colour and little else.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Of course not. The whole point of the word n****r is that those called it are considered as almost non human and are defined by their skin colour and little else.

That was my point.  If you didn't understand the word and had no idea of its meaning other than it was wrong to call a black person n''''g a court wouldn't allow as an excuse that you didn't feel superior; which in turn means that the definition of the word racism doesn't mean only to feel superior to someone.

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Commie Hades was much more fun than Fascist Hades.

This new character is one of my least favourite fictional creations.

Strangely the ‘fun’ Hades advocated mass

murder and was ok.  He’s less murdery but less liked.  

On in the CA I don’t think it’s a thing, so no, she’s not.  

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anthony-lennon-my-genes-are-white-but-im-black-v7tmnw7xw

Anthony Ekundayo Lennon: my genes are white but I’m black

A theatre director who has won funds meant for ‘people of colour’ has admitted his parents and grandparents were all white

One of the leading lights in British black theatre was wrestling with the question of what makes a person black last night — after it emerged that he has previously described himself as white.

Anthony Ekundayo Lennon has benefited from taxpayer support to aid his development as a black, Asian and minority ethnic (Bame) leader in the arts. But last week some black thespians expressed disquiet that an apparently white man had taken a black person’s place on a Bame scheme.

Lennon was named last year as one of four “theatre practitioners of colour” who had been awarded a paid two-year residential traineeship as part of an Arts Council England-funded programme. Recently he was an assistant director on Britain’s first all-black production of Guys and Dolls.

The Sunday Times has unearthed an ebook he wrote a decade ago, however, that shows racial identity is not always black and white.

Indeed, as he argued in the book: “Everybody on the planet is African. It’s your choice as to whether you accept it.” This contrasted with the account of his heritage he gave in 1990 when he stated: “My parents are white and so are their parents, and so are their parents, and so are their parents.”

In the book Photo ID, the blue-eyed thespian describes how he was born Anthony David Lennon in Paddington, west London, in 1965 to white Irish parents. His high cheekbones and curly hair set off gossip that his mother had had an affair, but when his brothers, Vincent and David, developed similar features, it became clear it was a family trait.

This did not protect the young Lennon from jibes in the street from people who saw him as mixed race. He says his school caretaker called him “n*****” and threatened to attack him with a dog.

Owing partly to the taunts, the boy with the caramel skin had discovered his blackness. He started to wear a Rastafarian hat. “Up until the age of about 13, 14, I hadn’t really thought about it at all,” he later told friends.

Academics make a distinction between “racial passing”, when a person of one race or mixed heritage presents themselves as belonging to another racial group, and “pheneticising”, a term coined by the Canadian writer Wayde Compton to shift the focus to the viewer.

In phenetics, race is what the onlooker sees. Lennon became what others saw.

He found his love of acting when he was “shoved in a minibus” by his mother and taken to the Cockpit theatre in west London. But as he grew older, he struggled to get white parts. He found success with groups such as the Black Theatre Forum.

In 1990 the 24-year-old Lennon appeared in a BBC Everyman drama documentary exploring race called Chilling Out. Viewers were told: “All of us in this programme are actors, but this is not a fiction. All of us are speaking as ourselves, and from our own experience.”

Pressed on his identity by black actors in the documentary, he said: “When I’m alone in my bedroom looking in the mirror, thinking about stuff I’ve written down, thinking about my past relationship-wise, pictures on the wall, I think I’m a black man. I’ve not said that to anyone. And I won’t say it outside.”

Lennon’s father, Patrick, who died in 1999, did not react well to this self- exploration. “He says to me I’ve got an identity problem, and the sooner I sort myself out, the better,” said Lennon in the film.

The actor Lennie James, later to become famous as a star of The Walking Dead, responds in the documentary by accusing Lennon of cultural appropriation.

“Sometimes I feel like you are watching me. Watching me to say this equals a black man. Then you’re taking it from me, and sticking it on yourself.”

Lennon began to delve deeper into his identity, choosing a new name from an African name book. He became Taharka Ekundayo: Taharka is the name of an Egyptian pharaoh and Ekundayo means “weeping becomes joy”.

“I was at a stage in my life where to address myself as Anthony Lennon did not fulfil me; it didn’t seem to allow me to express myself as I saw fit,” he wrote in Photo ID. He added: “Some people call themselves a born-again Christian. Some people call me a born-again African. I prefer to call myself an African born again.”

He told an audience in 2012: “Although I’m white, with white parents, I have gone through the struggles of a black man, a black actor.”

Lennon’s residential traineeship is part of the Artistic Director Leadership Programme (ADLP) to help Bame creatives. Arts Council England provided a £406,500 grant to a consortium of theatres to “deliver a comprehensive programme of talent development for future Bame leaders”.

Lennon started as trainee artistic director at Talawa, a black-led theatre company in Shoreditch, east London. The scheme was advertised as “open to people of colour”. Lennon applied as a “mixed heritage individual”.

One black actor said: “When I discovered his background I thought it was unfair that a white man had taken a black person’s place on a Bame scheme.”

The consortium that awarded the funding said: “We received 113 applications . . . and 29 were appointed to the ADLP. Talawa were satisfied Anthony was eligible for the opportunity as a result of a relationship with him over a number years, in which he has identified as a mixed-heritage individual.”

Arts Council England said: “Talawa raised their wish to support Anthony with us. In responding we took into account the law in relation to race and ethnicity. This is a very unusual case and we do not think it undermines the support we provide to black and minority ethnic people within the theatre sector.”

Lennon declined to comment.

10E699AC-03E0-4E72-932C-BB11172921E8.jpeg