You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Riley is A Cunt

I may be flying in the face of right-on opinion here, but I do think it is imperative to speak the native tongue if you want to take on citizenship. I would fully expect to have to do that if I went elsewhere, and I don't think its an unreasonable request.

I was going to mention this myself. I dont think it means being fluent but at least having a good grasp of conversational English is not unreasonable.

I'm with you, I've got friends who moved to Spain years ago and can't speak a word of Spanish. I'd never say they are integrated.

I've got family out there and through them have met many of their expat friends. Everyone of them speak fluent Spanish and most of them also speak Catalan. There are some who even speak a more obscure regional dialect/language. I suspect the difference is that the size of the expat community is not large enough to create an angliscised "ghetto" where they can secure all the services they need without the need to learn the language. Some I know well and they definitely see themselves as part Spanish. How the Spanish see them I don't know.

I may be flying in the face of right-on opinion here, but I do think it is imperative to speak the native tongue if you want to take on citizenship.  I would fully expect to have to do that if I went elsewhere, and I don't think its an unreasonable request.    

I'd even go so far as to say that it's such a boon to social cohesion that the Government should put up some funding to enable poorer immigrants to take English lessons.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/apr/14/english-lessons-funding-immigrants

Or, then again, it's cheaper and easier for the Government just to blame the immigrants themselves.

I'd even go so far as to say that it's such a boon to social cohesion that the Government should put up some funding to enable poorer immigrants to take English lessons.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/apr/14/english-lessons-funding-immigrants

Or, then again, it's cheaper and easier for the Government just to blame the immigrants themselves.

I'm going to sound like Atilla the Hun here, but unless they have been granted asylum, they should learn English before they get here.  Otherwise, they cost money to keep here and they contribute nothing to society.  

Their is nobody worse for travelling to a country and forming a little enclave and not learning any of the local language then British ex pats.

look at ex pats throughout the middle east and Asia, i lived and worked in Asia in the late 90's and made an effort to learn the local language. It was enjoyable. You could count on one hand the number of British who had though.

• Upvote 1

You can't really compare different types of immigration. A million retired and middle class Spaniards pitching up in England would pose entirely different challenges than 10,000 single, unskilled young people from a poverty stricken country.

Must have missed those zionist militants segregating our schools and blowing themselves up on the tube.

Why resort to skint/base methods when you have nuclear weapons, bottomless pockets and are beyond criticism for fear of being called/spinned  anti-semetic? If the shoe was on the other foot mind....

You can't really compare different types of immigration. A million retired and middle class Spaniards pitching up in England would pose entirely different challenges than 10,000 single, unskilled young people from a poverty stricken country.

You needn't compare - they should all be treated in the same way, wherever they are from.  What shouldn't happen is to place the burden of feeding and housing people who will never contribute to the country on us.  I'm not anti immigrant, not at all.  I'm all for immigration as long as the immigrants integrate and are ready to contribute to society.

People are angry because were living through the worst economic times they've ever known. Working class people are getting paid a fucking pittance, the price of food, fuel, insurance, mortgages, gas, electricity has shot through the roof, instead of trying to rationalise that anger people want to blame something, the government would rather you blame some muslim roadsweeper living in a bin than portion the majority of that blame on them, classic division tactics.

• Upvote 1

People are angry because were living through the worst economic times they've ever known. Working class people are getting paid a fucking pittance, the price of food, fuel, insurance, mortgages, gas, electricity has shot through the roof, instead of trying to rationalise that anger people want to blame something, the government would rather you blame some muslim roadsweeper living in a bin than portion the majority of that blame on them, classic division tactics.

Exactly right. And whats really shameful is that a good proportion of the population are either stupid or apathetic enough to go with it.

• Upvote 2

You needn't compare - they should all be treated in the same way, wherever they are from.  What shouldn't happen is to place the burden of feeding and housing people who will never contribute to the country on us.  I'm not anti immigrant, not at all.  I'm all for immigration as long as the immigrants integrate and are ready to contribute to society.

God i hate this crap. Meat and potato racism as it was used to describe Australia (rightly) recently on some program i was watching. WHY do people have to integrate?? what the fuck does that mean. Do you get your political viewpoint from watching fucking Channel 5 documentaries. Who are these immigrants who are such a burden ? If you are really bothered about the state of the country than at least have the wit to look at the real reason this country's  economy is heading down the shitter.

Successive governments and generations living on debt and leveraged debt at that. The destruction of communities and the local services that supported and nourished them. Tesco super fucking stores don't happen by chance, people stop buying local because it is 3 p cheaper at a faceless tax avoiding neon lit shithole. 

The chance to make a quick buck flipping houses, Fuck a home and a community, no its a career now 'i'm a property investor' No , your not , your a fucking dickhead selling his children and grandchildren down the river on a massive wave of unpayable debt. Getting on the property ladder at all costs, loans to cunts that could never afford them or pay them back. Well wait till the Treasury Bond market goes tits up ( i am already seeing the first signs of this) and see how your help to buy to let fucking bankruptcy property portfolio is doing.

The complete abdication of any social, moral or business fiduciary responsibility by the banking industry. The incessant printing of money loaned to the banksters at 0% interest rates so they can inflate the markets ( free market capitalism?? doesn't exist anymore) Inflated stock indexes being used as GDP figures? and this shit doesn't get reported! How? Why? 

This scratches the surface of the issue and immigrants not wearing fucking bowler hats and queuing up is not the fucking reason it is happening.

By all means be angry but aim it in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

People are angry because were living through the worst economic times they've ever known.

Really.

When I was a lad we RENTED a television.

My dad was, and is, a pharmacist, and we still didn't even own our TV.

Anyone who thinks these are the "worst economic times they've ever known" has a short memory. Or isn't a teenager yet.

Really.

Anyone who thinks these are the "worst economic times they've ever known" has a short memory. Or isn't a teenager yet.

Poor example.

So did we, but surely because that was "the done thing" due to the high price of buying. The newer a technology is, the more expensive it is to purchase outright. And back then (I'm assuming you're talking 60's/70's) TVs were just too expensive. Nothing to do with hard economic times. Very few companies rent out these days as its simply no longer cost effective as TVs are so cheap to buy outright.

On the other hand, back then you could buy a house for four and five figure sums.

• Upvote 1

Really.

Hmmm, isn't that more likely because your dad's generation spent their money on worthwhile stuff like homes and pensions? If you have either of those things I bet you have sleepless nights about an interest rate rise or the government makimg more changes to your pensions. I bet your job is a lot less secure than your predecessors too.

It depends what you want from an economy, I'd rather have my own place and be able to afford to fuel my car than own a pair of Beats headphones.

• Upvote 2

Really.When I was a lad we RENTED a television.My dad was, and is, a pharmacist, and we still didn't even own our TV.Anyone who thinks these are the "worst economic times they've ever known" has a short memory. Or isn't a teenager yet.

Radio rentals

Visionhire

Granada

All these firms and more hired tv's and virtually everyone rented off them as not many people owned there sets in the 60/70's.

Did you have a family car and owned your house because if you did believe me you where well off and not on the bread line as the majority used the bus and rented there homes off the corpy,most households didn't even have a phone.

God i hate this crap. Meat and potato racism as it was used to describe Australia (rightly) recently on some program i was watching. WHY do people have to integrate?? what the fuck does that mean. Do you get your political viewpoint from watching fucking Channel 5 documentaries. Who are these immigrants who are such a burden ? If you are really bothered about the state of the country than at least have the wit to look at the real reason this country's  economy is heading down the shitter.

Successive governments and generations living on debt and leveraged debt at that. The destruction of communities and the local services that supported and nourished them. Tesco super fucking stores don't happen by chance, people stop buying local because it is 3 p cheaper at a faceless tax avoiding neon lit shithole. 

The chance to make a quick buck flipping houses, Fuck a home and a community, no its a career now 'i'm a property investor' No , your not , your a fucking dickhead selling his children and grandchildren down the river on a massive wave of unpayable debt. Getting on the property ladder at all costs, loans to cunts that could never afford them or pay them back. Well wait till the Treasury Bond market goes tits up ( i am already seeing the first signs of this) and see how your help to buy to let fucking bankruptcy property portfolio is doing.

The complete abdication of any social, moral or business fiduciary responsibility by the banking industry. The incessant printing of money loaned to the banksters at 0% interest rates so they can inflate the markets ( free market capitalism?? doesn't exist anymore) Inflated stock indexes being used as GDP figures? and this shit doesn't get reported! How? Why? 

This scratches the surface of the issue and immigrants not wearing fucking bowler hats and queuing up is not the fucking reason it is happening.

By all means be angry but aim it in the right direction.

Do you think I'm not aware of any of that? I've argued the same points on here many times. I was discussing the very narrow principle of immigration and language. I know all about the herd of elephants in the room.

Really.When I was a lad we RENTED a television.My dad was, and is, a pharmacist, and we still didn't even own our TV.Anyone who thinks these are the "worst economic times they've ever known" has a short memory. Or isn't a teenager yet.

Haha. Let's call it the TV index. Almost everyone rented a TV. Almost everyone was paid a wage that allowed people to live rather than subsist.

God i hate this crap. Meat and potato racism as it was used to describe Australia (rightly) recently on some program i was watching. WHY do people have to integrate?? what the fuck does that mean. Do you get your political viewpoint from watching fucking Channel 5 documentaries. Who are these immigrants who are such a burden ? 

I've also just realised you described my viewpoint as racist.  I find that more than a little offensive, as I thought I made it clear that the principle should apply to all races, nationalities and cultures.  Can you clarify?  

Integration means that all the pieces are in place for free association between all.  No discrimination on any part, in education, in the job market, anywhere.  One of the key facilitators of integration is a common language.    Why integrate?  Because it helps to contribute to a cohesive society,  Why wouldn't you want to?