You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

18 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Sounds good Pete. All the best mate.

Thanks. 
She is such a mentally strong person, never let her illness get her down, always just got on with things so hopefully this is the beginning of the end for her & cancer.  My best mate sounds shattered physically & emotionally so I need to go see him when I can and get him leathered.  

I hope all here that have been touched by this vile illness are doing ok, whether you have it or know someone who has it,  take care, talk to your friends and don't ever feel alone.  The world is a fucked up place but I have discovered during Bex illness that most people are decent will be there if needed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

On 21/10/2022 at 20:28, Tj hooker said:

Just had a phone call about a mate who was my best man , the cancer we thought he had beat has spread to his liver he has about a month left , its proper knocked the crap out of me tonight 

Sadly a month was too optimistic he passed away last Sunday surrounded by his lovely family , he was a massive red and they played YNWA to him as he slipped away, he was only  59 no bloody age .

Me and another mate went to see him on the Sunday he was receiving Palliative care at home and we told stories to him about things we got up to over the years by this time he couldn't speak. 

His wife has just phoned me and asked me to be a Pall bearer , I told her it would be an honour and everyone is to wear Red be it Liverpool Wales or Wrexham it doesn't matter just writing this has me welling up .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 18

2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Sadly a month was too optimistic he passed away last Sunday surrounded by his lovely family , he was a massive red and they played YNWA to him as he slipped away, he was only  59 no bloody age .

Me and another mate went to see him on the Sunday he was receiving Palliative care at home and we told stories to him about things we got up to over the years by this time he couldn't speak. 

His wife has just phoned me and asked me to be a Pall bearer , I told her it would be an honour and everyone is to wear Red be it Liverpool Wales or Wrexham it doesn't matter just writing this has me welling up .

Just awful mate. Thoughts with you 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

Sad news mate. In my thoughts.

May a fellow red rest in peace.

• Thanks 1

Step daughter started chemo on Tuesday. She had a central line put in on Monday which doesn't look comfortable and she said hurt. She feels tired and her bones hurt. The plan has changed to 5 months of chemo now then surgery.

My sisters best mate also had a central line fitted this week and started a new course of chemo for her bowel cancer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Step daughter started chemo on Tuesday. She had a central line put in on Monday which doesn't look comfortable and she said hurt. She feels tired and her bones hurt. The plan has changed to 5 months of chemo now then surgery.

My sisters best mate also had a central line fitted this week and started a new course of chemo for her bowel cancer.

Hopefully it all works out for her Pal

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Thoughts are with you all mate.

The Mrs. went through it (not chemo) last Christmas and it's unbearable. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Found out yesterday a girl in my year passed away on 4th November from cancer. First girl from my school year to die that I know of. Wasn't a mate or anything but sad stuff 

Horrible news mate sorry to hear this. 

My birds close friend started her chemo on Monday. 40, 3 lovely kids, great job lovely husband etc. It's not fair one bit. 

• Upvote 3

I’ve been in an out of this thread for about 4 weeks now. Pondering whether to type anything or not. It wasn’t until tonight I felt I could. 

Found out 4 weeks ago that my uncle, who is only 3 1/2 years older than me, had suffered a dramatic loss weight a few months ago and wasn’t in as good a nick as I/ we had all thought. He’s had a delirious episode after running a marathon , after he’d been losing weight dramatically (the mad bastard) so he went to Dr’s, got bloods and found out he was anaemic. Then he said he just felt something wasn’t right and told the Dr and he referred for scans etc. 

They found a large mass on his kidney, so he got sent for more scans (CT I think) to check his lungs. So 4 weeks ago he gives me the news of where he was up to to that point. While he waited for the results, which came back as nothing on the lungs.

However the mass was obviously a worry still. He told me, just before the scan about the mass, and it floored me. I had a feeling from what he described as not fucking good. I had an hour long conversation walking 5 miles while we talked it over. When I got in I just couldn’t physically speak for being devastated at the potential.

I know I was potentially writing him off without a proper diagnosis, but life has taught me that those descriptions don’t mean good news. 

This man, is more than my uncle, he’s  the big brother I never had, my best mate, the best man at my wedding. I’m godfather to his daughter, as he is to mine (well if I was religious he would be, but he’s as good as) 

He stepped up when my Mum and Dad split when I was a small kid and looked after me, even though he was only 8 at the time.

He took me under his wing and guided me the best he could, when my Grandad was a cunt to me and my younger brother (he hated us because my Dad had upset his blue eye, my Mum, and held it against us, the cunt) but my uncle always looked out for me and took me out like my Grandad should have. 

He’s a hero that doesn’t wear a cape (to me anyway) 

Found out last week it’s cancer of the kidney and it’s spread to the lymph nodes around the kidney. So it’s more complicated than he had hoped.

However he doesn’t know the severity yet, so we don’t know what he is working with. 

I don’t think I have ever been so scared to potentially lose someone so close to me. I know it’s early days and I think it’s the not knowing part that’s hardest.

The anxiety of having the conversation about this being cancer that he had (and not just a growth that would mean his kidney having something simple and easily treatable with little impact to his life) had made me physically ill (he’d text me to say it was cancer and he asked for a day to process it)

All I wanted to do was give him a hug.

Fortunately we I’d arranged a night of pool  and a few beers with our mates and his lad who had just turned 18 a few weeks ago, last Friday. I felt I’d processed it and was able to deal with it, and when I’d finally got to see him I felt I was fine as he looked, and was in good spirits. 

I thought I’d processed it all (well as much as I could with the knowledge we have) but I’ve just had my head sent west by one of my mates ringing me to ask me how I am doing. And as much as I’ve told

him I am ok compared to what I had been, I just feel overwhelmed that I am being asked if I am ok. I wasn’t expecting this feeling at all. 

I know there’s a long path ahead for him, and my goal is to help him and his family through this by being there as much as I can, and we will always carry hope that he’ll get through it. 

But fuck me, it’s fucking hard. 

Reading some of the experiences in this thread over the years has given me some comfort (and will probably give me more over time) 

I lost my Nan (my Mum’s Mum) to cancer, so it’s not a new experience, but I was 17 then and less wiser to the world, this fucking sucks. 

I always avoided this thread after stevebaby had shared his last months with us. I found it a difficult thread post in as I never felt I had the right words for anybody.

As it was never a thread I felt I could get “involved” in other than share my wishes of hope via offer a measly rep to show someone I was thinking of them in a difficult time. I am grateful that it is here, because I don’t think I could have started a thread or he compelled to even share my ramblings of how this is a cunt of a disease.

Sending thoughts and wishes of hope to everyone who is dealing with it, or have people close to them going through it. 

My Dad has just said it best “It never gets a proper bastard who deserves it” 

• Upvote 16

35 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I’ve been in an out of this thread for about 4 weeks now. Pondering whether to type anything or not. It wasn’t until tonight I felt I could. 

Found out 4 weeks ago that my uncle, who is only 3 1/2 years older than me, had suffered a dramatic loss weight a few months ago and wasn’t in as good a nick as I/ we had all thought. He’s had a delirious episode after running a marathon , after he’d been losing weight dramatically (the mad bastard) so he went to Dr’s, got bloods and found out he was anaemic. Then he said he just felt something wasn’t right and told the Dr and he referred for scans etc. 

They found a large mass on his kidney, so he got sent for more scans (CT I think) to check his lungs. So 4 weeks ago he gives me the news of where he was up to to that point. While he waited for the results, which came back as nothing on the lungs.

However the mass was obviously a worry still. He told me, just before the scan about the mass, and it floored me. I had a feeling from what he described as not fucking good. I had an hour long conversation walking 5 miles while we talked it over. When I got in I just couldn’t physically speak for being devastated at the potential.

I know I was potentially writing him off without a proper diagnosis, but life has taught me that those descriptions don’t mean good news. 

This man, is more than my uncle, he’s  the big brother I never had, my best mate, the best man at my wedding. I’m godfather to his daughter, as he is to mine (well if I was religious he would be, but he’s as good as) 

He stepped up when my Mum and Dad split when I was a small kid and looked after me, even though he was only 8 at the time.

He took me under his wing and guided me the best he could, when my Grandad was a cunt to me and my younger brother (he hated us because my Dad had upset his blue eye, my Mum, and held it against us, the cunt) but my uncle always looked out for me and took me out like my Grandad should have. 

He’s a hero that doesn’t wear a cape (to me anyway) 

Found out last week it’s cancer of the kidney and it’s spread to the lymph nodes around the kidney. So it’s more complicated than he had hoped.

However he doesn’t know the severity yet, so we don’t know what he is working with. 

I don’t think I have ever been so scared to potentially lose someone so close to me. I know it’s early days and I think it’s the not knowing part that’s hardest.

The anxiety of having the conversation about this being cancer that he had (and not just a growth that would mean his kidney having something simple and easily treatable with little impact to his life) had made me physically ill (he’d text me to say it was cancer and he asked for a day to process it)

All I wanted to do was give him a hug.

Fortunately we I’d arranged a night of pool  and a few beers with our mates and his lad who had just turned 18 a few weeks ago, last Friday. I felt I’d processed it and was able to deal with it, and when I’d finally got to see him I felt I was fine as he looked, and was in good spirits. 

I thought I’d processed it all (well as much as I could with the knowledge we have) but I’ve just had my head sent west by one of my mates ringing me to ask me how I am doing. And as much as I’ve told

him I am ok compared to what I had been, I just feel overwhelmed that I am being asked if I am ok. I wasn’t expecting this feeling at all. 

I know there’s a long path ahead for him, and my goal is to help him and his family through this by being there as much as I can, and we will always carry hope that he’ll get through it. 

But fuck me, it’s fucking hard. 

Reading some of the experiences in this thread over the years has given me some comfort (and will probably give me more over time) 

I lost my Nan (my Mum’s Mum) to cancer, so it’s not a new experience, but I was 17 then and less wiser to the world, this fucking sucks. 

I always avoided this thread after stevebaby had shared his last months with us. I found it a difficult thread post in as I never felt I had the right words for anybody.

As it was never a thread I felt I could get “involved” in other than share my wishes of hope via offer a measly rep to show someone I was thinking of them in a difficult time. I am grateful that it is here, because I don’t think I could have started a thread or he compelled to even share my ramblings of how this is a cunt of a disease.

Sending thoughts and wishes of hope to everyone who is dealing with it, or have people close to them going through it. 

My Dad has just said it best “It never gets a proper bastard who deserves it” 

Your dad's spot on.

Thinking of you mate and of a fella who clearly doesn't deserve it.

Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Yeah best wishes mate.

Step daughters shaved her head this evening as the hair is falling off her. She's let her little lad do some of it. He then told her she looks like Paul the alien. 

Kids, know exactly how to take the sting out of things don’t they? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Same here pal, if you get through life with dealing with this fucker you're a very lucky person.

We're here for you mucker.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, littletedwest said:

At hospital with her now. Tumour  has shrunk 8mm and that's after only three chemo sessions ( and one of those was yesterday so not sure that would have had that much effect) so bit of positive news thank god

Sounds good mate.  All the best. 

• Upvote 1