You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

My fight with this fucking disease carries on. Earlier in the year something was picked up from a surveillance scan. After more scans I was referred to the Christie in Manchester to try a procedure only they do and one other place in the UK. This time my cancer had moved to my peritoneal - having started in the bowel, the last bout in the bladder and now onto this, which they think is where the bladder had been touching the stomach lining previously. I had this surgery which include chemo washing my innards this week and I'm now recovering in hospital. The surgery was pretty major and I expect to be in hospital for 2 weeks, but the aim was to give me a cure to this fucking thing. 

Thoughts with you. Let’s hope this operation has done the trick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

That sounds shit. From my experience and everything they tell you, try everything you can to get the calories in. I'd lost 7st on my first run with this and I started eating those little gu pots and shit like that. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but it's 300 calories in just a couple of bites. 

I'm expected to lose 2.or 3 stone through this process, but that won't do me any harm! Even though I'm fat though, before surgery they were encouraging me to pile on the pounds. 

Best of luck and hope you have a quick recovery, mate.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

My fight with this fucking disease carries on. Earlier in the year something was picked up from a surveillance scan. After more scans I was referred to the Christie in Manchester to try a procedure only they do and one other place in the UK. This time my cancer had moved to my peritoneal - having started in the bowel, the last bout in the bladder and now onto this, which they think is where the bladder had been touching the stomach lining previously. I had this surgery which include chemo washing my innards this week and I'm now recovering in hospital. The surgery was pretty major and I expect to be in hospital for 2 weeks, but the aim was to give me a cure to this fucking thing. 

I'm rooting for you Baz as I'm sure we all are.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Sorry to hear that BW, hope and pray that your surgery is a 100% success.

My mam was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus in November. She’s been through a bad time and was in The Royal for two weeks at the end of February. She’s currently midway through her chemotherapy and had a CT scan this week to see if the tumour has shrunk. She’s dramatically lost weight and is down to 7 stone. Long term prognosis isn’t good, we’re just hoping she will be around for as long as possible.

Thoughts and best wishes with you and your mam VV.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Best of luck, thinking of you Baz.

• Upvote 1

I'm a week in from surgery and progressing well. Every day is fucking hard, but I keep clearing milestones as I'm going, so it's worth it. Today counts as my day 8. Before surgery I had been told to expect to be in hospital till day 14. But I'll be pushing them to let me go home today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 10

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm a week in from surgery and progressing well. Every day is fucking hard, but I keep clearing milestones as I'm going, so it's worth it. Today counts as my day 8. Before surgery I had been told to expect to be in hospital till day 14. But I'll be pushing them to let me go home today. 

That's great news Baz.

• Upvote 1

An update on my Niece.

My Mrs spoke to her yesterday. She has stage 2 breast cancer which means the tumour is larger than 2cm and is also in her lymph nodes.

She:s having an operation to remove the tumour and nodes in the next week or so, but she didn't specify the follow up treatment be it chemo, radiotherapy or both.

She did say that she was thinking about asking for a full mastectomy though as her mum, Mrs HL's sister fought breast cancer too but initially opted against that and eventually lost the breast anyway.

She's being a bit guarded about it all tbh which is probably her way of dealing with it.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

An update on my Niece.

My Mrs spoke to her yesterday. She has stage 2 breast cancer which means the tumour is larger than 2cm and is also in her lymph nodes.

She:s having an operation to remove the tumour and nodes in the next week or so, but she didn't specify the follow up treatment be it chemo, radiotherapy or both.

She did say that she was thinking about asking for a full mastectomy though as her mum, Mrs HL's sister fought breast cancer too but initially opted against that and eventually lost the breast anyway.

She's being a bit guarded about it all tbh which is probably her way of dealing with it.

All the best to her mate.

• Upvote 1

Sounds good Baz, wish you the best.

22 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

An update on my Niece.

As I've put in here ( and I know you donated to her just giving page mate thanks) my stepdaughter passed away from breast cancer.

However the prognosis with breast cancer is normally quite positive mate. All the best.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

As I've put in here ( and I know you donated to her just giving page mate thanks) my stepdaughter passed away from breast cancer.

However the prognosis with breast cancer is normally quite positive mate. All the best.

One of my mates who came to see me while I was in hospital last week his kind of step sister has recently been diagnosed, the initial scan suggested 1-2cm. Then a follow up a little bigger, then she's gone for an MRI which has said it's 11cm, which is obviously fucking enormous. I don't know what the latest is with her, that was a few days ago, but isn't breast cancer one where if it's an isolated tumour and hasn't spread, you can finish it off? 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

One of my mates who came to see me while I was in hospital last week his kind of step sister has recently been diagnosed, the initial scan suggested 1-2cm. Then a follow up a little bigger, then she's gone for an MRI which has said it's 11cm, which is obviously fucking enormous. I don't know what the latest is with her, that was a few days ago, but isn't breast cancer one where if it's an isolated tumour and hasn't spread, you can finish it off? 

Generally yes. There is triple negative which my step daughter had, that responds worse as it isn't influenced by hormones which means less effective treatments.

• Upvote 1

but isn't breast cancer one where if it's an isolated tumour and hasn't spread, you can finish it off? 

I think you're referring to an in-situ tumour mate, and yes they are a much better prognosis. They sometimes still need chemo or radio as well as surgery, but once that's done that's usually it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Surely not? Doesn't shit like that come under child abuse? 

Can't the doctors apply to have her made a ward of court or something?

I bloody well hope so the fucking idiot.

On 01/06/2024 at 11:19, Barrington Womble said:

Small steps Baz. Keep smashing this twat out of the park.

FUCK U CANCER.