You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal Post-Wenger

Ne Moe Imya

What's different this year surely they should have more to spend after getting rid of Sanchez, selling ox and giroud and the like. Appreciate they don't have the CL but they have a big stadium charge the earth for tickets and should have paid off their stadium years ago.

Emery saying he has a transfer budget of £50m and has to sell to get Dembele Seri and Evans. Jesus where did all l their money go.

They have lost champions league revenues for one season and now a second season without it is going to hurt them financially. Probably huge wages and big squad numbers all add up. Looks to me like their owners are not interested in investing their own money so while they are there I don't think that much will change.

Emery saying he has a transfer budget of £50m and has to sell to get Dembele Seri and Evans. Jesus where did all their money go.

Huge wages on Ozil and Mkhitaryan takes up a decent chunk of it. Then they're not in the CL for two season in a row, that will take a big bite because when you miss the second consecutive season not only do you miss out on CL money but your sponsorships also decrease quite a bit.

A window where they get Dembele, Seri and Evans is just a dream for Arsenal. I don't think their fans appreciate how big the trouble is that they're in. Rather like us in 2010 - it's going to be a rough few years. I was thinking maybe Mislintat would be able to spare them the worst of it but based on what he's done so far it seems he may not have been the brains in that Dortmund recruiting department after all.

Why would Dembele go there? They won't finish higher than sixth and they play in the Europa League. They might score some goals but he'll surely be wanted by much bigger and better clubs if he leaves. Seri I could see, maybe. Sell Welbeck and Wilshire or something and they might just scrape the money together.

Emery saying he has a transfer budget of £50m and has to sell to get Dembele Seri and Evans. Jesus where did all their money go.

Bellerin is probably their biggest asset because he's young. They can't afford to sell Ozil,Auba,Lacazette or Mickymouse. They won't be able to get enough money for Dembele alone, leave the rest

• 2 years later...

The club culture is completely rotten. 15 years under 3 consecutive managers & the mantra has been the same: get the piss taken by players who run their contracts down then leave on Bosmans or paltry sums relative to their talent (Sanchez, RVP, Ramsay, Toure, Clichy, Sagna, Nasri, Adebayor, Gnabry, Flamini, Hleb etc), or let contracts run down where the club is forced to sign crazy out sized deals for players who then just seem to pack in playing (Oezil, Aubameyang .. Willian on his lockdown holiday to Dubai). Just an utter endemically shambles of a club who madly enough have still managed to pick up a few FA Cups in the period.

With the attacking talent they have they should have just gone full on Rodgers Liverpool team and just try and blitz teams. They won't win anything but they'd be inwith a shot of top 4. But Arteta is a negative twat, more Moyse than Pep.

They spent too long just being happy with the years of successive Champions League qualifications and though it was success. A failure all over the club and well on their way to being another Everton

Arsenal fans should be really concerned.

Here are som stats for expected goals for Aubameyang this season without the penalties, before this weekends game.

Also some stats about Øzil’s creativity and key passes made throughout his Arsenal career, and how it looks like compared to this seasons squad so far.

56C19BDA-4CC5-4E4D-8D26-E08458E49E54.jpeg

28321677-53AA-411C-A72F-461ADEC9BECC.jpeg

A5AB5257-447C-4BE8-AE6A-5E79A6CFD2B1.jpeg

4 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Oezil to all intents and purposes is no longer a professional footballer, and has not been for several years since he signed his contract

That's not accurate. If we look at their running stats, he's up there. They just don't know how to use him properly especially a novice like Arteta who comes in and throwing his weight around just because he was pep's understudy for a few years. Now he's being shown for his lack of tactical acumen and inexperience. Ozil standing still can still do a better job than most of the guys in that team. Play him behind auba and don't depend on him for defensive work. 

Transfers has been shambles. Paid 3-4 times than what Pepe was worth. Partey is a good signing but seems to be picking injuries a lot. 

Also, I believe Arsenal hedged their bets on qualifying for the CL this season. Don't see them reaching the top 6, let alone top 4. They really are in big trouble as a top club. I don't see Arteta continuing there for long if they indeed have to achieve CL qualification. They don't have a lot of assets to sell in terms of their team - Saka is probably the only guy I would go for and even he would not be a first team player here.

Completely accurate. Emery, Arteta & Löw in turn have & want nothing to do with the player. Trying to make excuses for a player like Oezil that the club "don't know how to use him" is precisely how a club like Arsenal find themselves in the situation they're in. It goes deeper than a simple matter of talent. Rotten personalities through & through.

On 07/12/2020 at 08:42, Alex_K said:

Completely accurate. Emery, Arteta & Löw in turn have & want nothing to do with the player. Trying to make excuses for a player like Oezil that the club "don't know how to use him" is precisely how a club like Arsenal find themselves in the situation they're in. It goes deeper than a simple matter of talent. Rotten personalities through & through.

While I don’t entirely disagree, ozil did have that issue with the German national team after meeting with the Turkish PM and then called out racism and disrespect. Pretty sure he was in the team up until that incident. 

I think it’s a combination of factors with him, 1 his desire has gone, 2 his style is outdated in the current game (no space for a number 10 anymore unless you can fufull a number of jobs) and 3 his fitness has gone as a result of 1 and not playing because of 2. 

it’s a shame as he was a top player at some point. Arteta did actually play him at the start but then dropped him - how much of that was the club trying to force him out who knows. I don’t blame him sitting on his massive contract he doesn’t seem to love the game anymore so why not collect what you have been promised.

Arteta was correct with the approach he took. He inherited a flaky side, let's be honest here Arsenal at home was as big a home banker as there was in the league. He identified the issues, and went about fixing them,  he immediately stamped some authority by binning Ozil and Genducy. Klopp showed his authority by binning Sakho, Mourinho has done it with Ali and a million others before him, Pep done it with Hart and Augero in the beginning. The problem Arteta has is he has no track record to call on when looking for time. He has made them more solid but totally destroyed them as an attacking outfit. They are as boring as Crystal Palace. 

His biggest strength as been aligning his identity with Pep. He had a couple of years as an assistant and now he's from the Pep school of football. The reality is he he's a Moyes protege, boring football based around solidness and relentless crossing. It wouldn't surprise me if he signs Fellani in January, he may as well because crossing for the lads they have is beyond pointless. 

• Like 1