You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal Post-Wenger

Ne Moe Imya

I've said it before, but Wenger's later years are very reminiscent of Clough at Forest. Clough won the odd cup or two in those years in the late 80s and early 90s, but his teams were usually only just above mid-table in the league and never looked like threatening a title challenge. He had some good players but not a decent team.

Just now, Scott_M said:

3rd post in the thread. Nostradamus over here...

Only half right, to be honest. Emery was hardly a good choice. Though it was a good choice to go for Emery over Arteta who seems to have not just shit the bed but squirted it all over the curtains, lampshade and all over himself. 

3 hours ago, Numero said:

I know a lot of people take the piss, but those fuckers on AFTV are good lads. They give a shit. 

They definitely give a fuck but you don’t have to behave like a screaming loon to show it.

I used to get some tense, angry and stressed about us, but what good does behaving like that bring? Just makes you feel worse & look a tit.

Has anybody on Arsenal TV ever made a good or valid point? It’s just shouting and screaming X, Y or Z is a cunt.

37 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Joorabchian laying into 'spitting' Jamie Carragher earlier tonight apparently after Carragherslated arsenal's signings of late and questioned when Joorabchian was involved.

Willian, Cedric & Luiz are all represented by Joorabchain.

No idea about Cedric but I’m sure I’ve read Luiz & Willian are both on a fortune. God knows why, both at the end of their careers & absolutely not want Arsenal needed.

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They definitely give a fuck but you don’t have to behave like a screaming loon to show it.

I used to get some tense, angry and stressed about us, but what good does behaving like that bring? Just makes you feel worse & look a tit.

Has anybody on Arsenal TV ever made a good or valid point? It’s just shouting and screaming X, Y or Z is a cunt.

Nah, they have lots of decent guys

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Numero said:

Nah, they have lots of decent guys

You might have seen it more than me but from what I’ve seen, they all look like head cases. 

And him with the headphones, despite being somewhat calmer, is off his rocker as well.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Willian, Cedric & Luiz are all represented by Joorabchain.

No idea about Cedric but I’m sure I’ve read Luiz & Willian are both on a fortune. God knows why, both at the end of their careers & absolutely not want Arsenal needed.

That was Carragher's point to which Joorabchian took exception to.

Arsenal are in a pickle with Arteta and they will have serious egg on their face if they fire him. He was their first choice to takeover from Wenger and in the last minute they saw sense and went with an experienced manager who has a track record of winning in Emery. Then they fire Emery really at the first major sign of trouble and bring in the man they wanted all along. But why? Why were they so desperate for a complete novice to fill the enormous shoes of Wenger? His appointment and Arsenal's eagerness to have Arteta and nobody else is baffling. They're going to have to stick with Arteta for a few seasons and hope for improvement, or look really foolish for firing a guy they placed so much faith in. 

13 hours ago, JagSquared said:

While I don’t entirely disagree, ozil did have that issue with the German national team after meeting with the Turkish PM and then called out racism and disrespect. Pretty sure he was in the team up until that incident. 

There was alot of talk down here that the reason Arsenal stopped playing him and him being frozen out was pressure from Chinese sponsers after he caleed them out on the treatment of the Muslim tribe from Northern Chinese regions and the camps. They threatened to pull the plugs on finance and Arsenal dropped him

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Even if Ozil has declined, there is zero logic to having your highest earner rot in the reserves. His attitude can't be that bad. The political reason is really the only explanation. 

Absolutely. You'd have to be daft to think that a quality (albeit past it) player on £350k a week can't get into this shitty Arsenal team is due to football reasons alone. Arsenal don't want to upset China and that's why Ozil is frozen out.

It sounds like some of you haven't watched Oezil play for the past 3 years. He's completely finished. He was once a superb player & part of superb Madrid & Germany teams. He then deteriorated significantly physically, being part of that wafer-thin Germany side embarassed by South Korea & Mexico at the 2018 World Cup. He was woeful under Emery; Arteta tried to bring him back into the team and he was woeful under him too. You really need to go back as far as 2016 to find a good season from him, when Arsenal should have won the league.

The Joorabchian point is more emblematic of the problems Arsenal face. The club was fashioned in Wenger's likeness .. to the point when he reached senility he seemingly'd rather have it fall like a pack of cards than embrace outside influences. No succession planning. No coherence at exec. level. Mislintat comes in, doesn't speak to Wenger, then is out himself within a year. Gazidis brings in Emery, is out the door himself within months, and Emery follows. They've trawled through various mediocrities since -- most recently Edu who, surprise surprise, has seen an influx of past it mega-salary Brasilian players come into the club. This Vinai Venkatesham clown is Chief Exec. Its just an epic, epic fuck up of an organisation & vultures like Joorabchian have picked over the carcass. Thank god we have the ultimate alpha in Klopp.

23 hours ago, Trumo said:

I've said it before, but Wenger's later years are very reminiscent of Clough at Forest. Clough won the odd cup or two in those years in the late 80s and early 90s, but his teams were usually only just above mid-table in the league and never looked like threatening a title challenge. He had some good players but not a decent team.

Two things that get forgotten about Clough nowadays are that he was a guy who spent big wads of cash when he wanted to, and the bizarre structure of Nottingham Forest’s ownership. 
Yes, he’s remembered for getting bargains from the lower leagues or players from big clubs who were thought to be finished (Larry Lloyd for example). But he doubled the UK transfer record when he bought Trevor Francis, and in Forest’s first season after promotion he broke the transfer record for a keeper by signing Peter Shilton. 
That wasn’t sustainable, and the European Cup-winning team was flogged off fairly quickly. But it was doubly problematic because Forest had a weird business model; without going into it in depth only a limited number of shareholders owned the club, and it was set up to stop a sugar daddy taking charge and calling the shots. That suited Clough (who had fallen out badly with multiple previous chairmen) but it made Forest less able to move with the times as football tentatively modernised during the 80s. 
That said, I think you’re underplaying how decent Forest were in the late 80s; in 1988 they finished third; one year later they repeated the trick and won two domestic cups. That’s not bad! It was only then that they got stuck in a holding pattern on mid-table finishes, before collapsing horribly and being relegated. Is that too much to hope for with Arsenal?