You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joey Barton

TheHowieLama

All the pundits are shite, ideally we would go back to the days of David Coleman where there was one commentator and that was it. Having said that, there is no doubt that the women are generally worse than the men.

I'm a bit of a sexist bastard so I'll just say what a lot of people are thinking, without the hyperbole of Joey Barton... Football was/is an escape, an escape from your boring life, your pishy job, your missus, the kids, your mortgage, washing the car, whatever. Now your missus is at the game, she's the referee, she's in the commentary box & she's wittering on in the studio, there is no escape from her fucking constant earache.

Now I'm not speaking for everyone here of course, lots of men will love taking their wives, girlfriends & daughters to the game & discussing it with them & fair play to them, there are women I'll happily watch & talk with about the match but this sudden influx of them all over every game on the telly, nah - fuck that. It goes in the cylindrical filing cabinet along with VAR & 'player of the match'.

• Downvote 1

Football and most sports are unique in that you can have someone who was brilliant at them and simultaneously they know absolutely fuck all about them. Or they do, but they're so thick they can't communicate their knowledge whatsoever.

The likes of Roy Keane add absolutely nothing from an analysis standpoint. He's there because people know who he is and find his ridiculous personality funny. Literally anybody with a modicum of football understanding could do his job to a similar level, but that's not what the job's about.

And Barton is doing this to build another career and get some attention, there's nothing unintentional about it. It's not some drug-fuelled meltdown. He knows getting involved in the culture war is profitable and he knows a lot of men don't want to see women talk about football. Case in point this thread.

• Upvote 1

This is how Laurence Fox started.  

Gain a little bit of "notoriety" with outrageous rhetoric, gain a little bit of covert Russian funding, and we could be into new right wing political party territory.

"Late Night with Barton!  1am every second Tuesday, here on GB News, sponsored by the Get 'em Back in the Kitchen Party."

2 minutes ago, razor said:

This is how Laurence Fox started.  

Gain a little bit of "notoriety" with outrageous rhetoric, gain a little bit of covert Russian funding, and we could be into new right wing political party territory.

"Late Night with Barton!  1am every second Tuesday, here on GB News, sponsored by the Get 'em Back in the Kitchen Party."

You'll always find me in the Kitchen at political parties?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

All the pundits are shite, ideally we would go back to the days of David Coleman where there was one commentator and that was it. Having said that, there is no doubt that the women are generally worse than the men.

I'm a bit of a sexist bastard so I'll just say what a lot of people are thinking, without the hyperbole of Joey Barton... Football was/is an escape, an escape from your boring life, your pishy job, your missus, the kids, your mortgage, washing the car, whatever. Now your missus is at the game, she's the referee, she's in the commentary box & she's wittering on in the studio, there is no escape from her fucking constant earache.

Now I'm not speaking for everyone here of course, lots of men will love taking their wives, girlfriends & daughters to the game & discussing it with them & fair play to them, there are women I'll happily watch & talk with about the match but this sudden influx of them all over every game on the telly, nah - fuck that. It goes in the cylindrical filing cabinet along with VAR & 'player of the match'.

"I'll say what a lot of people are thinking".

Straight out of the Donald Trump playbook that..."people might say......" then he spouts a load of shite that he can't stand up.

You only know what YOU think. In terms of pundits, whether they are male or female, animal vegetable or mineral, gay straight or Australian, from the people I speak to, nobody really gives a flying fuck, as they are all treated with equal contempt.

Its no biggie really.

18 minutes ago, redinblack said:

"I'll say what a lot of people are thinking".

Straight out of the Donald Trump playbook that..."people might say......" then he spouts a load of shite that he can't stand up.

You only know what YOU think. In terms of pundits, whether they are male or female, animal vegetable or mineral, gay straight or Australian, from the people I speak to, nobody really gives a flying fuck, as they are all treated with equal contempt.

Its no biggie really.

We all know a load people want rid of the female pundits. Why do you think it is?

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

We all know a load people want rid of the female pundits. Why do you think it is?

I honestly don't know anyone who fucking cares.

We talk to different people. I think it would be that

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

People fear change.

It's the reason for sexism, racism, ablism, and every kind of bigotry you can think of.

Young people are more open to change, older people less so.  It's why "we" all move more to the right as we get older.

"The way things were" is always better.

This "football is for men" bollocks doesn't wash any more.

*By the way, Mook - when you say "people", you mean of course, "men".

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, razor said:

People fear change.

It's the reason for sexism, racism, ablism, and every kind of bigotry you can think of.

Young people are more open to change, older people less so.  It's why "we" all move more to the right as we get older.

The "football is for men" bollocks doesn't wash any more.

It's why there are so many gay men now!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I honestly don't know anyone who fucking cares.

We talk to different people. I think it would be that

Have you read any of the threads on here or looked on social media? There are thousands of comments all over the shop backing up what I'm saying.

I don't care an awful lot to be honest with you, the game goes on at kick off and back off at full time in my flat. I would say the women in the commentary box piss me off during the game but then so do the men.

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, razor said:

People fear change.

This "football is for men" bollocks doesn't wash any more.

*By the way, Mook - when you say "people", you mean of course, "men".

I don't disagree with any of that other than the last point, I've seen women complaining about the women pundits too. Probably older women, for reasons you've pointed out.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mook said:

Have you read any of the threads on here or looked on social media? There are thousands of comments all over the shop backing up what I'm saying.

I don't care an awful lot to be honest with you, the game goes on at kick off and back off at full time in my flat. I would say the women in the commentary box piss me off during the game but then so do the men.

I have read them on here yes. It's hardly a tidal wave.

I havent read social media as I'm not on Facebook or any of that, as last time I was it was full of cunts. So I can't comment on that. 

The people I actually speak to, face to face, don't care. And given you don't care so much we probably nailed this.

4 hours ago, TheSire said:

I just turn off or mute before the game, half time and after if I'm watching on telly. If not it's just a guarantee that I'll want to throw the telly.

Yeah i watch little to none of the pre-match, half time or post-match stuff.

It's largely nonsense, agenda driven shite and for me adds fuck all - i don't need somebody else to tell me about what i have just seen with my own eyes.

• Upvote 1