You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joey Barton

TheHowieLama

56 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Oh there's no way they're going back, rightly or wrongly. We don't need the input of people who've never worked at that elite level. It's why they don't hire some lad you've never heard of who captained chesterfield for 10 years on there. But they've made a decision they're going to do it anyway. All it means for me is I'd sooner not listen to any of it. I've not listened to any of the fa cup stuff yet, so don't know how bad it's been on BBC or ITV. Sky seem to do a bit better than BT in picking them, some of the women on BT are definitely enough to make you turn off. 

I'm not really arsed. I think ALL pundits talk shite so I tune out during any 'analysis' anyway. There's better things to get worked up about than a few women on the telly.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm no clairvoyant, but I've a sneaky feeling he won't be on sky sports super Sunday any time soon. 

I don't even know who they have on there these days, the last time I caught any of it Clinton Morrison was the highest profile ex player on the panel and they had some wet wipe anchoring it.

1 minute ago, TheSire said:

I'm not really arsed. I think ALL pundits talk shite so I tune out during any 'analysis' anyway. There's better things to get worked up about than a few women on the telly.

A lot of the pundits are shite. But they have lived and breathed the experiences we're watching. So when Roy Keane has a mental rant, you see the element of the man who will have lived those moments. It brings a value to the experience. 

Of course there are more things to be worried about, but if that's the case, let's shut the forum down and stop going.to the match because there are more things to worry about in life than football. But without doubt these women pundits and even more so the imbecilic co-commentators they love on BT are ruining my enjoyment of the game. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I have the same view. The fact that it’s Barton making all the noise doesn’t help the point at all.

Ive mostly made my peace with it all, most film franchises and entertainment are ruined now, football is on its way there too for a multitude of reasons. It’s the new age unfortunately.

I think to those talking about the female pundits my retort would be 2 words "Jason" and " Roberts"

So let me get this right.

Joey Barton, who has never won anything in his football career, apart from promotion from the Championship to the Premier League and has 1 cap for England, is having a go at Aluko with 102 caps for England and several winner medals at club level  in England and Italy, for her football qualifications?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

So when Roy Keane has a mental rant, you see the element of the man who will have lived those moments. It brings a value to the experience. 

He a giant t fucking whopper that plays the Roy Keane character the same way Carragher and Neville do for sky. They all fit in nicely with the youtube bellends they employ as pundits. 

1 hour ago, redinblack said:

I think to those talking about the female pundits my retort would be 2 words "Jason" and " Roberts"

Oh theres loads of crap male pundits too.

The issue I have is with quotas and theres lots of that going on and it means that quality is not considered.

Theres been plenty of great women in football on tv over the years like Gabby Logan and Kelly Dalglish, as well as a few Sky Sports presenters like Sawyer, thats where they should be looking. Its all about engagement for the viewer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

A lot of the pundits are shite. But they have lived and breathed the experiences we're watching. So when Roy Keane has a mental rant, you see the element of the man who will have lived those moments. It brings a value to the experience. 

Of course there are more things to be worried about, but if that's the case, let's shut the forum down and stop going.to the match because there are more things to worry about in life than football. But without doubt these women pundits and even more so the imbecilic co-commentators they love on BT are ruining my enjoyment of the game. 

It says it all now that I tune in to the match dead on kick off or just after. I just cant stomach the analysis any more.

I caught a bit of the segment they have on sky sports news with Steve Warnock and that Scouse woman Sue Smith. Jeez Louise its bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

Joey Barton, who has never won anything in his football career, apart from promotion from the Championship to the Premier League and has 1 cap for England, is having a go at Aluko with 102 caps for England and several winner medals at club level  in England and Italy, for her football qualifications?

I detest Barton, but in reality his 1 cap is worth 1002 caps for the womens team at that point when they had no professional set up and were playing on park pitches. 

I admit that my view of Aluko is biased in that she has a horrible Tory outlook on life and was almost universally hated by the rest of the squad at the time.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Oh theres loads of crap male pundits too.

The issue I have is with quotas and theres lots of that going on and it means that quality is not considered.

Theres been plenty of great women in football on tv over the years like Gabby Logan and Kelly Dalglish, as well as a few Sky Sports presenters like Sawyer, thats where they should be looking. Its all about engagement for the viewer.

Well I can see that point but unfortunately that's not how it's coming across ( I'm not accusing your good self on this point here).

In terms of the quality of insight the refuge of a lot of professional footballers when called out has been " you never played, you don't know". Now it is " you never played at this level, so you don't know". They have had to move the goalposts to protect their insularity and their little cottage industry.

I dont actually give a fuck about any of them, I'll listen to Souness, because it's him, and I'll listen to Keane waiting for him to pull a Billy club on someone, but other than that I just don't listen at all. The Carragher & Neville Show makes me physically sick. I watch the game, finish my pint then fuck off out of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

And his cap was as a sub. In a defeat.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It says it all now that I tune in to the match dead on kick off or just after. I just cant stomach the analysis any more.

I caught a bit of the segment they have on sky sports news with Steve Warnock and that Scouse woman Sue Smith. Jeez Louise its bad.

Is Smith the one that looks like Gozer the Gozerian? Yeah, she's bad, Warnock not much better.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

He a giant t fucking whopper that plays the Roy Keane character the same way Carragher and Neville do for sky. They all fit in nicely with the youtube bellends they employ as pundits. 

Roy Keane is a giant whopper. I don't think he's playing to the camera though. I think that's the fella he is.

Carra and Neville have both transformed while doing the job. I have said recently on here they both need to be fired for fresh blood because they're nothing more than caricatures of themselves, so wrapped up in what they've said before, they can no longer find a real point of view they have.

Saying we shouldn't have ex-female footballers on elite level male football isn't mutually exclusive of moving past people like carragher and Neville. They invalidate their opinions for different reasons to the women. The women have no experience, so as I said earlier, add no more value than anyone who's played the game. Carragher and Neville both understand what it takes and the pressures involved, but they've wrapped themselves in the peronas they've developed for years that they're petrified of saying or doing anything out of the image of themselves they've built. So they've become shite. Most people didn't think that when they started out. They were both sharp and fresh and offered a view we'd not seen or heard before. 

19 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

And the worst part of all, is sue Smith might be the best female pundit out there. 

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of the Warnock/Smith duo but I do enjoy it when they both stare at Dopey Dermot as if he were stark raving mad when he comes up with one of his obtuse, bizarre rationalisations of a blatantly wrong decision .

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Repped for the last part especially Baz - I quite like Sue Smith. Always thought that Alex Scott presented better than alot of her male counterparts as well.

Alex Scott is a good presenter, it helps that she's stunning, but she seems very intelligent and professional.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, I don't hear the same level of opprobrium levelled at Sonja McLaughlin or Jill Douglas when they comment on rugby union. Not from within or without rugby union. I'm pretty sure neither of them packed down with or against Doddie Weir or Martin Johnson

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Barton’s a complete and utter cunt but he’s right about the female pundits/commentators they’re all absolutely shite and have worsened the experience.

All?

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I just turn off or mute before the game, half time and after if I'm watching on telly. If not it's just a guarantee that I'll want to throw the telly.