You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pep

ReddOrDedd

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I felt that this pic had to be shared with anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Look at the joy on the man's face.

Apologies in advance - I don't know how to add a pic that's part of a news story - but scroll down to the bottom of the report to check it out. It's truly fabulous.

BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I felt that this pic had to be shared with anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Look at the joy on the man's face.

Apologies in advance - I don't know how to add a pic that's part of a news story - but scroll down to the bottom of the report to check it out. It's truly fabulous.

BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United

_46607238_ngog282.jpg

Brilliant if true, he deserves every penny he's earning, unlike a certain senor Babel.

Liverpool hope to tie José Reina with a lucrative long-term deal | Football | The Guardian

Liverpool hope to tie José Reina with lucrative long-term deal.

Jose-Reina-001.jpg

The Liverpool goalkeeper, José Reina, celebrates his side's second goal against Manchester United with the scorer, David Ngog. Photograph: Peter Byrne/PA

Liverpool intend to reflect José Reina's status as one of the finest goalkeepers in the game with a lucrative new contract that will secure his long-term future at Anfield.

The 27-year-old still has three years remaining on a five-year contract extension he was awarded in 2007. However, in keeping with club policy not to allow key players to enter the final two years of their contracts, and having tied such players as Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Yossi Benayoun to new long-term deals over the summer, Reina is next in line for a contract offer.

Talks between Liverpool and Reina's representatives are expected to begin in the coming weeks with an agreement anticipated early next year. The Spain international has proven an outstanding purchase since he arrived from Villarreal for £6m in 2005, comfortably eclipsing both Ray Clemence and Bruce Grobbelaar's record of clean sheets for Liverpool (79 in his first 150 league games compared to 69 for both predecessors), and was linked with a return to his former club Barcelona this summer.

Rafael Benítez is keen to end any uncertainty over his compatriot's future and the Liverpool manager may also consider a contract offer for Fábio Aurélio, the Brazil defender who was this week included in his national squad for the forthcoming friendly with England and who is out of contract at the end of this season.

Reina, meanwhile, believes Sunday's 2-0 win over Manchester United could mark a watershed for Liverpool this season, with their prospects also helped by the most open title race he has encountered in five seasons in England.

"Against United we were the better team and we deserved that win so hopefully it can be a turning point for us and give us the confidence that we need to do better," the Liverpool keeper said. "We are a team with character. Sometimes we do not play well but the character is always there, mainly because of our fantastic supporters who are with us during every single second. We have been in a difficult situation and this meant that we had to show our character, which we did on Sunday.

"We are six points behind the leaders and it will be a long, long race. It will be tough for everybody. There aren't just four teams involved in the title race, there are at least six or seven in it, which is good for the competition."

Fucking brilliant news about Pepe getting a new deal. I must admit, in the current climate I was starting to get very twitchy about our prospects of holding on to him. I'll probably stay that way until the ink is dry, but it's deffo a good move. I don't see anyone in the world who's demonstrably better than him and he'd be a huge loss if he left, regardless of the money (which would also be huge) we got by way of compensation.

That is splendid news. I love Pepe, he is a great keeper and for me an absolutely vital memeber of the team. That run and the celebration just shows what all this means to him. You can't fake that. The thought that he has not yet reached the age where a goalkeeper is considered to be in their prime is fantastic. i hope he stays until he retires.

In the top 5 'keepers in the world

I honestly think he is easily the best.His all round game is quality.

He commands his area,acts as a sweeper for us.Also other keepers kick,he passes.He has improved enormously on coming for his crosses too,add to that his shot stopping and his reflexes and i think we have the best keeper on the planet.

Not to forget he is a crazy legend.

I honestly think he is easily the best.His all round game is quality.

He commands his area,acts as a sweeper for us.Also other keepers kick,he passes.He has improved enormously on coming for his crosses too,add to that his shot stopping and his reflexes and i think we have the best keeper on the planet.

Not to forget he is a crazy legend.

I think he's the best in our league definately, but for me Casillas is just ahead of him. The amount of saves Casillas has to make in a game is massive due to the imaginary defense in front of him. I read somewhere a few weeks ago that he's already faced more shots than any keeper in La Liga, and they're second.

Fuck... There goes next seasons transfer budget.

My first thought was thats this supposed £12m we've got for January. Well thats how those cunts will try to justify it.

Glad he's being rewarded mind, the money I/we put in the club should be going to the players and staff, not to those yank cunts.

I think he's the best in our league definately, but for me Casillas is just ahead of him. The amount of saves Casillas has to make in a game is massive due to the imaginary defense in front of him. I read somewhere a few weeks ago that he's already faced more shots than any keeper in La Liga, and they're second.

It's easier to look good when your facing 10 - 15 shots a game rather than a few or sometimes one or two in my opinion.Thats one of his attributes i left out is his concentration levels,think of games like Villa at home last season or Arsenal at home a couple of years ago when we beat them 4-1.

Pepe made a save in both at vital times yet had nothing else to do for the entire match.

I think this is also why David James looks better at Pompey as he has a larger volume of shots at him,so can't suffer from his lack of concentration as much.

Still,from a selfish point of view i don't want Pepe to be Spains number 1.....ever