You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

That may be the case, but this caicedo fella was playing in Ecuador only 2 years ago, and he's not been bandied about for over 100 million. 

So what's to say Andre won't be the next big thing to come from Brazil. 

That's what scouts are for, I guess.

What ever happens the rest of the window we really need to get someone like Edwards back in charge of doing the transfers. Been very up and down since he has gone. Klopp needs to have overall control but theres no point in a load of yes men just agreeing with him. 

34 minutes ago, Chris said:

Would much rather pivot the strategy to being the dudes who get these players for 4m rather than paying 25 times as much for them after one season in the league. 

Problem there is the club would have to be loaning them out and not many players seem to get loaned out and return as part of the a future team. Caicedo needed 6 months at Brighton and then a season loan before he was ready, Mac Callister needed time aswell and im not sure we are in a position to give them the time they need. I would love to see them do it but when the club is so bloody tight with spending money im not sure they see spending 20/30ml on a few younger players instead of a squad player as use of resources. Money spent on potential is money not spent on the first team. 

I get the point though everyone has high hopes for Alan Verala who has just gone to Porto for 10ml, Redondo son is getting links with European clubs. He will probably move for a reasonable fee and then move again within 18 months for big money. If the club still want to compete with this buy and sell model to be breaking even then theyll need to invest with fees getting crazier by the day

Had a mad dream that all this was a smokescreen. We bid for caicedo in league with Brighton to bump up the price so that chelsea can’t afford to not sell players. Chelsea in a panic offer to sell Brighton Colwill to subsidise the transfer which they agree to and we buy him a week later from them. A bit like Robert Jarni to Madrid via Coventry. 

Trying to not be biased.

Liverpool: More famous and better supported club. Best (at the very least the second best) manager. Superior fans and a more iconic stadium. Better team.

Chelsea: A huge club in the modern landscape (hate to write that). Owners who will always spend big. A good squad that is potentially very good. A very good manager. London factor and more of a Latin population etc as well as a lifestyle for the super wealthy that any other English city doesn't have. (I much prefer Liverpool being from here but for footballers I can see the lure of London)

Caicedo and his entourage don't strike me as the loyal types. That's not a criticism as there is no loyalty in this business and he owes Brighton, Chelsea and Liverpool fuck all - I'm sure he's a really good kid who had a very tough start in life - good luck to him in a way. That's why I don't buy all this we've given our word to Chelsea shite. They probably want Chelsea to know that they could still sign him because Chelsea are egotistical knobheads who are likely to cave in and give them what they dream of. That doesn't necesarily mean he is refusing to come here. He's just playing it out. Brighton seem to hate Chelsea so that will work in our favour.

As I type this, a mate just whatsapped me and said Chelsea are offering 65k more a week. 215 vs 150. If we really want him, i'm sure we can work around that.

46 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Trying to not be biased.

Liverpool: More famous and better supported club. Best (at the very least the second best) manager. Superior fans and a more iconic stadium. Better team.

Chelsea: A huge club in the modern landscape (hate to write that). Owners who will always spend big. A good squad that is potentially very good. A very good manager. London factor and more of a Latin population etc as well as a lifestyle for the super wealthy that any other English city doesn't have. (I much prefer Liverpool being from here but for footballers I can see the lure of London)

Caicedo and his entourage don't strike me as the loyal types. That's not a criticism as there is no loyalty in this business and he owes Brighton, Chelsea and Liverpool fuck all - I'm sure he's a really good kid who had a very tough start in life - good luck to him in a way. That's why I don't buy all this we've given our word to Chelsea shite. They probably want Chelsea to know that they could still sign him because Chelsea are egotistical knobheads who are likely to cave in and give them what they dream of. That doesn't necesarily mean he is refusing to come here. He's just playing it out. Brighton seem to hate Chelsea so that will work in our favour.

As I type this, a mate just whatsapped me and said Chelsea are offering 65k more a week. 215 vs 150. If we really want him, i'm sure we can work around that.

Ronnie has indykaila on WhatsApp CONFIRMED.

Anyone know if Exequiel Palacios is over his injury issues? His numbers look amazing, certainly didn’t fail the eye test when I saw him in the Conference League for Leverkusen last season either. Has seemed to accumulate a fair few muscle injuries so far in his career though.

47 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Trying to not be biased.

Not a dig but how in the fuck does someone know what wages both sides have offered.  Unless they were in the room . I call balls.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Would much rather pivot the strategy to being the dudes who get these players for 4m rather than paying 25 times as much for them after one season in the league. 

Agents would much rather have the player move through 2/3 clubs before they play for a side like us. 

And then they'd still have one eye on Real/Barca in the end (hence the sell on clause...)

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Where Caicedo is concerned though, if Rory Smith is to be believed, absolutely everyone, including us, wanted to sign Caicedo. The trouble was there were so many people claiming to represent him, nobody could find a way to buy him, except Brighton (who apparently have an incredible network down there) and they got in quickly and got the deal done while everyone else was talking to his postman or whatever. I think caicedo was someone who was expected to make this progress and it's why we were supposedly asking after him last summer instead of the loan for Arthur after basically just his loan spell in Belgium or wherever it was. 

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Problem there is the club would have to be loaning them out and not many players seem to get loaned out and return as part of the a future team. Caicedo needed 6 months at Brighton and then a season loan before he was ready, Mac Callister needed time aswell and im not sure we are in a position to give them the time they need. I would love to see them do it but when the club is so bloody tight with spending money im not sure they see spending 20/30ml on a few younger players instead of a squad player as use of resources. Money spent on potential is money not spent on the first team. 

I get the point though everyone has high hopes for Alan Verala who has just gone to Porto for 10ml, Redondo son is getting links with European clubs. He will probably move for a reasonable fee and then move again within 18 months for big money. If the club still want to compete with this buy and sell model to be breaking even then theyll need to invest with fees getting crazier by the day

That's because they're not good enough, rather than the fact they've been loaned out previously. 

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Not a dig but how in the fuck does someone know what wages both sides have offered.  Unless they were in the room . I call balls.

Yeah theres so much bullshit and nonsense like this. X and y are definitely happening etc, how the fuck does anyone know unless they're literally sat there? I take most of this with a pinch of salt.

6 minutes ago, TheSire said:

Yeah theres so much bullshit and nonsense like this. X and y are definitely happening etc, how the fuck does anyone know unless they're literally sat there? I take most of this with a pinch of salt.

As a rule of thumb, the way you can spot whether someone's on the level is if they having a great big 'BREAKING' header, along with a couple of these emoticons-

image.png

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Chris said:

The assumption all those types of deals is that Brighton (or Villareal, Sevilla, Southampton etc etc) are transfer savants when usually it's just neccesity.

The issue isn't with talent identification it's with pathways and being able to give players a chance. 

Caicedo's career could have been entirely different if his loan wasn't cut short and Brighton weren't forced to play him because of injury (and Dan Ashworth said last year that he didn't exactly pull up tree's at that point either).

It takes a massive buy in from everyone at the club from the top all the way down to supporters to show patience as these players are signed and played at the expense of more 'ready' players.