You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

Koeman has done a fantastic job at Southampton. His club was fucking stripped bare in the summer, just look how he rebuilt and reinvested the money. We only lost one player (admittedly world class player) makes you think how much of last season was Suarez and how much was Rodgers.

This "how much was Suarez and how much was Rodgers" business is beginning to get on my tits.

This "how much was Suarez and how much was Rodgers" business is beginning to get on my tits.

Agreed. Cultivating your best player and building your game around him are good qualities, daft now that's interpretated as some kind of error/mistake/tactical flaw.

Now, not adequately planning for his departure, on the other hand...

Agreed. Cultivating your best player and building your game around him are good qualities, daft now that's interpretated as some kind of error/mistake/tactical flaw.

Now, not adequately planning for his departure, on the other hand...

Remy/Sanchez suggested the club were adequately planning for his departure. Then they signed Balotelli.

Remy/Sanchez suggested the club were adequately planning for his departure. Then they signed Balotelli.

We didn't plan.

We reacted.

And that's ridiculous when there is meant to be a team of people, who had clear evidence that the one of the most talented Liverpool players ever was leaving.

• Upvote 3

And £120m to spend.

Working for Liverpool must be great. High wages, no accountability, access to tickets.

Then, if you get rightly sacked, you can sue and fucking win in court.

Commoli winning an unfair dismissal clam still astounds me. The absolute audacity of Commoli to do that. We should have been suing him.

In my opinion the Chelsea game is far more important. We have absolutely no chance of winning the champions league. It's vital we qualify for it again next season.

Deliberately playing devil's advocate but all the reasons we're told why it's essential that we're in it didn't help us this year.  Other than reputation and having a few quid sitting in the bank the three big reasons everyone said were:

1. To attract top players. We bought nobody this year we couldn't have got had we not been in the Champions League and the one top player we did go after in Sanchez overlooked us because we wouldn't pay top wages / he wanted to live in London.

2. To keep our top players. It didn't help us keep Suarez and it won't keep many of our other top players when other teams start waving their cheque books around.

3. To be able to spend more on transfers. Taking into account the Suarez money we didn't do that either despite a big windfall from premier league tv rights.

I'm not downplaying the importance of qualifying but just saying this time it's not been all it was cracked up to be and I won't be shouting from the rooftops if we finish 4th.  I give us a similar chance of winning the Champions League as I did this time 10 years ago in that I don't fancy us at all.  As I said above I'm just clinging to the forlorn hope that things might improve from January onwards and I'd like to still be in it if they do.

You have a much lower opinion of the rest of the country than I do, I'm surprised you don't think we'll manage to be slightly less shit than most of 'em.

Chelsea, City, and Arsenal will all definitely be above us. 

Tottenham, United, Southampton, and Everton are the maybes, I'm pretty certain West Ham will drop away.

I'm sadly confident United will finish above us. I just think Van Gaal will sort them out sufficiently to finish 4th. 

Spurs look a complete shambles, and I think will be below us.

Everton, I'm not sure about. You'd imagine Lukaku will stop being so shit at some point. Although in Eto'o they have a much better second choice striker than any of ours. I think we'll probably be above them.

Southampton I'm starting to think won't be dropping away. For me, they're sort of proof of what you alluded to (about me thinking most of the league is shit). You don't need billions to finish 5th/6th in this league, they've probably made a profit on transfers since being promoted. They defend quite solidly, and can string five passes together. That makes them better than 1/2-3/5 of the league. Technically and, especially, tactically, most of the league are embarrassingly shit. After we're comprehensively destroyed 2-0 by Chelsea next week, and Southampton hammer Leicester at home, we'll be 11 points behind them. I don't believe we'll make that up. 

So, if I was to pick a place I think we'll finish it would be 6th, 5th at the highest, but not shocked if it was 7th or 8th. 

I'd love to see us do well in one of the domestic cups but haven't much confidence in us being pragmatic enough tactically to do a number on any of the sides better than us left in the competition.

I do actually think we'll get out of the CL group with 9 points. Then be turned over in the round of 16 by whoever we get drawn against.

As I said earlier, I don't think we've even reached peak shitness yet. The next two games are going to be fucking horrible. The next four league games after that, though, are very winnable (yes, I know, I know). Imperative that heads don't drop entirely before then, as many knives in the press will be getting sharpened, prematurely in my opinion. That said, it's November, we've played well in one of our 15 games. 

What finishing position do you think would be sufficiently unacceptable that would lead to Rodgers dismissal? Could you envisage a situation where he was sacked before the end of the season?

• Upvote 3

Sanchez overlooked us because we wouldn't pay top wages / he wanted to live in London.

Maybe, but I'd bet part of the reason was that he'd have been looked at as Suarez's direct replacement here, thus a saviour. Other things being relatively  equal, who needs that aggravation?